Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.93%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.82%
Nashville, TN 108 39.71%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.15%
Louisville, KY 10 3.68%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.10%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.88%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:14 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Tampa is gorgeous with some of the world's most beautiful beaches...hard to hate that.
Born and raised in Tampa. I can see the city's faults. Sure, it has what you mentioned, but it's not a place I would want to settle down in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 06:15 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Good public transit with SunRail, decent bus system, Maglev and AAF incoming. Affordable housing. Great downtown with awesome nightlife. Good neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Historical neighborhoods such as Winter Park. A city that is growing. Plenty of outdoor activities. Only an hour to Cocoa Beach.

There's no way I could ever move back to Tampa. Orlando has everything it doesn't.
Outside of the rail aspect which Orlando isn't excelling at (4000 riders a day, billion dollar system that doesn't run nights or weekends), Tampa has everything else going for it that you list for Orlando including arguably more nicer neighborhoods near downtown, growing at the same clip as Orlando, has arguably more outdoor activities and is much closer to nicer beaches. As an FYI also, Winter Park is a separate city and not part of Orlando. Utilizing that framework, Tampa has St Petersburg which on it's own blows Orlando out of the water in my opinion in terms of it's downtown, cultural/arts offerings, food scene, setting and growth taking place.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:18 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Outside of the rail aspect which Orlando isn't excelling at (4000 riders a day, billion dollar system that doesn't run nights or weekends), Tampa has everything else going for it that you list for Orlando including arguably more nicer neighborhoods near downtown, growing at the same clip as Orlando, has arguably more outdoor activities and is much closer to nicer beaches. As an FYI also, Winter Park is a separate city and not part of Orlando. Utilizing that framework, Tampa has St Petersburg which on it's own blows Orlando out of the water in my opinion in terms of it's downtown, cultural/arts offerings, food scene, setting and growth taking place.
I wish I could agree.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:28 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I wish I could agree.
You can't agree because its not true. Yes St. Pete is great, but its not downtown Orlando. Don't even get me started on downtown Tampa.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:50 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You can't agree because its not true. Yes St. Pete is great, but its not downtown Orlando. Don't even get me started on downtown Tampa.
Downtown St. Pete is much better than downtown Orlando. Leaps and bounds.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:34 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus DeGravalo View Post
Hmmmm...well.....DT SP has just started to evolve a bit around Central, 2nd, around the Vinoy, Beach Av, etc...This is fairly much a "new" movement in the last 4-5 years ! they had/have a huge problem with homeless around DT and old North St Pete, and the junk around the trop
Orlando laid the groundwork years ago for a successful Downtown, and it's happened.

I think Downtown St. Pete is more recent to the party, but there certainly is a lot of buzz lately. I'll be seeing it first hand in October for the first time in years, and am looking forward to it.

One of the major things in Orlando's favor is that Downtown is surrounded on 3 sides by healthy and desirable neighborhoods, and the Westside is being worked on very heavily.

St. Pete has some issues directly adjacent to Downtown that Orlando doesn't really have.

At this point in time, I would say that the Downtowns of Orlando, Sarasota and West Palm Beach are the best in Florida. Miami Beach also deserves a mention, but that's a different situation.

The insane boom happening in Downtown & Brickell in Miami could change all of this shortly, though.

Last edited by JMatl; 05-17-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 12:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Again, Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater combined with just south (also on the bay) Manatee-SRQ is destined to be a southern hub at a far faster pace than most listed, save Nashville MSA perhaps - but counting the region between TampaBay-Lakeland-Winter Park-Orlando anyone can see the possibility or likelihood for it to become a mega-region - just check out any night-time satellite shot depicting the massive growth of "lighted areas", over the past few years, the convergence is quite dramatic and very real.
Very true. Flying into Orlando at night, you can see all of it if it's clear.

Flying from Atlanta to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale or Cancun you sometimes get an amazing view of the entire Gulf Coast of Florida. The amount of population and sprawl from Crystal River to Naples is mind-boggling when seen from 35,000 feet.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:55 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Downtown St. Pete is much better than downtown Orlando. Leaps and bounds.
You couldn't be more incorrect.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:37 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Well the growth in Sarasota-Manatee in their downtowns around the Bay and the River respectively is booming. The move however in SRQ is a bit decentralized from downtown however with the massive growth of satellite communities such as Lakewood Ranch and other developments just south of Tampa in north Manatee near the I75 corridor.

Just for grins, check out the University Parkway corridor in Sarasota-Manatee. The growth is expansive. The new mall at University Town Center is clearly upscale indeed. You can Goggle it for yourself. The University corridor is slamming even the significant boom directly Downtown Sarasota or Downtown Bradenton - but both are attracting transplants of all ages with a lot of resources - even moreso than St Pete.
It really is impressive considering all the retail that is either planned or under construction in the Sarasota area. The mall/University Parkway corridor has been a major catalyst for the growth. A second Whole Foods store will be a part of the area also. There are very high incomes to support the retail and commercial development for sure from what I saw. Sarasota is a beautiful place. I've been down there twice in the past few years.

UPDATE: Whole Foods opening second store in Sarasota - What's In Store

Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You couldn't be more incorrect.
Didn't know subjective opinions had proofs of incorrect and correct points. Wow learn something new everyday. FOH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City