Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:03 PM

211 posts, read 372,986 times

Advertisements

When I think of cities that missed the sunbelt boom I think of Oklahoma city, Tulsa, little rock, Jackson, ms, Memphis Tenn, Birmingham Alabama. Why didn't these cities boom and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM

12,715 posts, read 7,862,777 times
Pretty much the cities you mention. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Memphis, and Birmingham. Pretty much all of those cities have negative perceptions or quality of life issues that make them less desirable.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:39 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,131,186 times
Tucson

Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Pretty much the cities you mention. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Memphis, and Birmingham. Pretty much all of those cities have negative perceptions or quality of life issues that make them less desirable.
I disagree with Oklahoma City, I think you have bias toward it based on location. It's growth rates are much more sunbelt esque compared to the rest of those mentioned.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 PM

I have no bias towards okc I live here but the people here feel they missed the boom they want Austin type growth.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
I have no bias towards okc I live here but the people here feel they missed the boom they want Austin type growth.
Well you can tell that by the somewhat overcompensaty Devon tower on the skyline. Still I think it's a disservice to the city to put it in the company of the cities listed.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofbthe1059
Well you can tell that by the somewhat overcompensaty Devon tower on the skyline. Still I think it's a disservice to the city to put it in the company of the cities listed.
By some of these threads to them okc is worse is. But I hear u.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:28 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,269,256 times
It basically boils down to jobs. Cities like Birmingham and Memphis also have some serious in-state competition (Huntsville and Nashville, respectively) and are having a harder time retaining young, educated professionals since there are other options nearby that can offer more lucrative positions.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM

545 posts, read 833,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
It basically boils down to jobs. Cities like Birmingham and Memphis also have some serious in-state competition (Huntsville and Nashville, respectively) and are having a harder time retaining young, educated professionals since there are other options nearby that can offer more lucrative positions.
That fits the case with Little Rock. In state competition would be the Fayetteville area that has a lot of growth. There was high crime in the '90s and that got national attention and Arkansas is often overlooked and has a negative image anyway. Throw in mistakes and missed opportunities. FedEx actually started in Little Rock and only moved to Memphis after Little Rock wouldn't make changes to accommodate their planes. Keeping it would have made a huge difference for the city.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:26 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,890,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
In Birmingham's case add years of poor leadership and a population the sees growth as something terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City