Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I TOTALLY AGREE THAT YOUR MAP OF DOWNTOWN CHICAGO IS WHAT THE CITY SHOULD DECARE... AS ITS FULL DOWNTOWN TODAY Your Map includes the Gold Coast to Lincoln Park.... As I said in previous pages. It should, and stretch it a bit further Down....to include the new skyscrapers that developed across from Solder Field.

Compare though YOUR map of Downtown Chicago? With The OFFICIAL CITY WEBSIGHT SHOWING DOWNTOWN BOUNDARIES.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zTtJyf0g_DXU.kf-9R6r_mzKo

CHICAGO'S DOWNTOWN RESIDENTS WOULD JUMP CONCIDERABLY, TO INCLUDE THE LOWER HALF OF THE GOLD COAST AND STRETCH INTO THE NEAR SOUTH BEYOND THE LOOP.

This is the official CITY OF CHICAGO SIGHT WITH THE OFFICIAL DOWNTOWN MAP TO COMPARE

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/doit/dataset/boundaries_-_centralbusinessdistrict.html

These new residential skyscrapers �� and high-rises and New Townhouses on the left of picture. Currently are NOT OFFICIALY DOWNTOWN. IN YOUR MAP IT IS INCLUDED

IN THIS PICURE.... ALL THE BUILDINGS TO START OF LINCOLN PARK AT CENTER TOP PART OF PHOTO, ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR MAP. BUT NOT OFFICIALLY BY THE CITY IN ITS MAP OF OFFICIAL DOWNTOWN CHICAGO. BUILDINGS TO RIGHT OF LINCOLN PARK. STILL WOULD NOT BE INCLUDED? ��
Beautifully magnificent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 PM

591 posts, read 782,044 times
I would consider "Downtown Chicago" Near North and the Loop.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM

76 posts, read 151,954 times
Congratulations Philly? Chicago still has SIGNIFICANTLY larger and more numerous skyscrapers/high rise buildings.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Steep's posts always seem hyperbolic.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:16 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Steep's posts always seem hyperbolic.
If someone is hyperbolic, they tend to exaggerate things as being way bigger deals than they really are. Hyperbolic statements are tiny dogs with big barks: What you also are saying of my pictures is.....an excess, and it’s not necessary, which is exactly what being hyperbolic is all about: making statements bigger than necessary.

I simply used pictures to give extra enhancements and factual reasons for my viewpoint on the Topic. For the city being claimed to have been Bested. One could say to Topic is hyperbolic on how and what it is promoting. I gave points of why Chicago's borders could and should be expanded on what now is part of Downtown? As others even did for adding to Philly's.

The point of the threads topic is.... the Census using 1 Square from the Cities City Hall, and 1 additional mile buffer area also. I noted even with a picture. How Chicago is in a disadvantage. Even a city like NYC. Because a 1/3 then is Grant Park/Millennium Park, and Harbor of Lake Michigan.

pictures of areas defined as Downtown and areas it easily could and should also include? in my view and another posted a map of his saying the exact same area added as I.

You posted then THESE COMMENTS on another thread.......

Quote:
Philly is the only city in America with a neighborhood I think to have close to a perfect walk, bike, and transit score according to walkscore.com. Pretty impressive.

I do agree Philly is more walkable than Chicago, but I don't find Philly to be an aesthetically pleasing city to walk. Walking along rowhouse after rowhouse would get boring and tedious. I like Chicago's neighborhoods like Lincoln Park a lot more. More interesting street scenes and architecture.
Quote:
Most would agree Chicago has better architecture than Philly does. It's one of the top cities for it.
BUT THIS AT THE START, FIRST PAGE... IN THIS ONE⤵
Quote:
Chicago falling further and further behind in just every metric these days.
Congrats, Philly!
THIS GOT MY DEFENSE GOING HERE... ⤴

Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 AM

275 posts, read 416,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
Chicago still has SIGNIFICANTLY larger and more numerous skyscrapers/high rise buildings.
So what? Chicago has SIGNIFICANTLY more high-rise buildings than Paris, but Paris is much denser and more pleasant to walk around. The Loop only looks good from the air. From the ground, where people actually live, it's just a monotonous maze of wind tunnels.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
So what? Chicago has SIGNIFICANTLY more high-rise buildings than Paris, but Paris is much denser and more pleasant to walk around. The Loop only looks good from the air. From the ground, where people actually live, it's just a monotonous maze of wind tunnels.
You forgot to add "In my opinion."

Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Philly and Chicago are two of my favorite cities and favorite DTs, both are large in the US perspective, Chicago larger. Chicago is on a larger scale and Philly more intimate. I like both very much even if slightly different appeals. Both are very active and vibrant.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Well, Paris and Chicago do have one thing in common. They are both better cities than Philadelphia.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:29 AM

275 posts, read 416,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You forgot to add "In my opinion."
I think few would dispute that Paris is a much more pleasant place to walk around than the Loop. The area around Market Street in Philadelphia is also not very pleasant. Same goes for Midtown and FiDi in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City