Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
How many moved back though?
Not many...Atlanta's population continues to grow at a rapid pace. If there were many people moving in and then moving back to their place of origin I don't see how the population could continue to grow at such a pace. People generally like living in Atlanta and move here because they aren't happy with where they live for one reason or another. I'm not sure why anyone in that situation would move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus DeGravalo View Post
Easy answer for the "south" is New Orleans (historically) and Miami, then Tampa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, the numbers above that waronxmas posted confirm what I've always known about Tampa. Italians and Cubans helped build Tampa, and are a huge part of society and history there to this day.

So many people have no idea that Tampa and Jacksonville were the big cities in Florida for many years, when Miami was basically a train station and not much more.
Bah, New Orleans, totally forgot about them.

There are 105,660 people of Italian descent in the New Orleans metropolitan area. That would place them at 8th on my previous list, after Orlando.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Interesting - edited your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, there are quite a few New York transplants (both from the NYC Metro and Upstate) in the Atlanta area. While it would be hard to nail down a specific number, it's easily several hundred thousand. While that population mainly skews towards Black folks (American, Latin, Caribbean, African native), Atlanta has been a popular destination for New Yorkers of all ethnic backgrounds for quite some time, way more than North Carolina.

I will say though that while I have heard the "6th borough" talk for Atlanta from a few folks (and it seems like it some times with how many people from Queens have relocated hear) it is never done in a serious way. In fact, of all of the New Yorkers that I know that have moved here (this includes my parents) is that they did so specifically because it is NOT at all like New York City.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. You can actually look this up in Factfinder. While it isn't a 100% accurate since there is no requirement to self report your ethnicity to the Census Bureau, it gives a good idea of the population that exists.

Here are the number of people of Italian ancestry per the 2012 Census ACS for the 1 million+ metros in the South:

Miami - 312,993
Washington DC - 250,887
Tampa - 230,106
Atlanta - 142,235
Dallas-Ft. Worth - 142,187
Houston - 128,914
Orlando - 122,865
New Orleans - 105,660
Charlotte - 70,451
Jacksonville - 66,207
Raleigh - 53,751
Richmond (VA) - 44,506
Nashville - 43,557
Memphis - 28,915
Birmingham - 26,064

For the curious, the largest reported European ancestry for all of the above cities (including Miami) is German, except for Nashville (Irish).
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Bah, New Orleans, totally forgot about them.

There are 105,660 people of Italian descent in the New Orleans metropolitan area. That would place them at 8th on my previous list, after Orlando.

Per capita using 2014 est. MSA population:

New Orleans - 8.4%
Tampa Bay - 7.9%
Orlando - 5.3%
South Florida - 5.3%
Jacksonville - 4.7%

Raleigh - 4.3%
Washington DC - 4.2%
Richmond - 3.5%
Charlotte - 3.0%

Atlanta - 2.5%
Nashville - 2.4%
Birmingham - 2.3%
Memphis - 2.2%

Dallas-Fort Worth - 2.0%
Houston - 2.0%

Looks like New Orleans is an outlier, and that makes sense as I believe even the Mafia made its first appearance in America in NOLA. Then come the FL cities, all with elevated Italian populations, and that makes sense. Then comes sort of that corridor of DC-Richmond-NC cities, and that makes sense. Followed by other deep south cities with lower populations, followed by Texas metros with very very small Italian populations.

It should be noted that in FL, the Mafia had its main presence in Tampa Bay, and it was associated with the New Orleans family. It makes sense that these two areas have the highest percentage of Italians south of the Mason Dixon.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

New Orleans - 8.4%
Tampa Bay - 7.9%
Orlando - 5.3%
South Florida - 5.3%
Jacksonville - 4.7%

Raleigh - 4.3%
Washington DC - 4.2%
Richmond - 3.5%
Charlotte - 3.0%

Atlanta - 2.5%
Nashville - 2.4%
Birmingham - 2.3%
Memphis - 2.2%

Dallas-Fort Worth - 2.0%
Houston - 2.0%

Looks like New Orleans is an outlier, and that makes sense as I believe even the Mafia made its first appearance in America in NOLA. Then come the FL cities, all with elevated Italian populations, and that makes sense. Then comes sort of that corridor of DC-Richmond-NC cities, and that makes sense. Followed by other deep south cities with lower populations, followed by Texas metros with very very small Italian populations.

I grew up in a largely Italian American community outside New Orleans and when we were younger if you asked some kids 'where does your daddy work' they might say 'the Mafia.' My wife's family had members in the Mob. It is an interesting culture and nothing like the predominant culture in the South.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

New Orleans - 8.4%
Tampa Bay - 7.9%
Orlando - 5.3%
South Florida - 5.3%
Jacksonville - 4.7%

Raleigh - 4.3%
Washington DC - 4.2%
Richmond - 3.5%
Charlotte - 3.0%

Atlanta - 2.5%
Nashville - 2.4%
Birmingham - 2.3%
Memphis - 2.2%

Dallas-Fort Worth - 2.0%
Houston - 2.0%

I grew up in a largely Italian American community outside New Orleans and when we were younger if you asked some kids 'where does your daddy work' they might say 'the Mafia.' My wife's family had members in the Mob. It is an interesting culture and nothing like the predominant culture in the South.
That New Orleans accent is something else. Sounds kinda like a North Central Jersey accent.

Accent Challenge - New Orleans: http://youtu.be/huPaw1uZhyU

Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Cruising through CvC is funny at times. Very few people have actual accurate information to back up their posts. Most just fly by the seat of their asses in an absolute state of blissful ignorance and homerism. Long ago I would argue back and forth with these misinformed, lonely individuals...but now I just smirk and move on.

Regarding the few who know better; Yes, New Orleans has a notable Italian history and still has a decent percentage of Italian and Sicilian residents residing here currently. Despite preconceived notions, New Orleans was where Italians began whats now known as the "American Mafia"...

Old 05-18-2015, 09:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That New Orleans accent is something else. Sounds kinda like a North Central Jersey accent.

Accent Challenge - New Orleans: http://youtu.be/huPaw1uZhyU
It really doesn't.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It really doesn't.
You don't hear similarities? I do. Not exactly the same, but apparently I'm not the only one who thinks of Jersey.

Yat dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally put it further South in Jersey simply because of the way they say their "o" sounds are not heard in the NYC metro from natives.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
How many moved back though?
Not many. Most from the Bronx and Queens that don't 'feel' Atlanta are settling in La Vergne and Murfreesboro lately, along with Charlotte. It's all good, and is adding to your cosmopolitanism.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 AM

282 posts, read 350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Did not know this. Most people I know who move go to NC. I honestly don't think I've personally met someone who moved to Atlanta, or anywhere else in Georgia. It's Florida or NC. Or PA even.
Because you probably know a different type of person?

"New Yorkers" who move to Atlanta skew very heavily working-class African-American or caribbean. For instance, looking at Manhattan, more Atlantans moved to Manhattan than Manhattanites moved to Atlanta in the last Census period.

According to the Census mapper,

From 2008 to 2012
495 people moved from Fulton County, GA to New York County, NY
323 people moved from New York County, NY to Fulton County,GA

NYC is also an entry point for immigrants so a lot of those migrants from the other parts of NY metro area really aren't even NYers. They're just people who passed through. Atlanta has never been a destination for Italian-American New Yorkers.

Last edited by UAE50; 05-19-2015 at 12:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City