Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which teir does Los Angles fall closer to?
It's closer to NYC 25 40.98%
It's closer to Chicago 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 AM

282 posts, read 350,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Manhattan alone is nowhere near the most powerful city.
How is Manhattan nowhere near the most powerful city when Manhattan has more Fortune 500 companies of any whole city? Home of Wall Street, which makes it the financial capital of the world? Hedge fund capital? More billionaires than any whole city on earth? More million dollar earners than any whole city on earth? Has 17 of the top 20 http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-america.html? The highest market cap per top corporations/assets under management of any whole city in the world? The headquarters of the United Nations? The media capital? The world's favorite city? The largest recipient of foreign commercial and residential investment in the world? Even the President wants to move to New York City post-presidency, like his dem. predecessor. They're leaders of the free world, so of course it's natural they're drawn to the leading city of the free world - NYC.

LOL. You seem so jelly when it comes to NYC, it's quite comical. I mean, 90% of your posts have to do with NYC or dismissing NYC. For someone who pretends to dislike it...it sure occupies a lot of space in whatever that matter is between your ears. Detecting an inferiority complex there .

Last edited by UAE50; 06-02-2015 at 12:31 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
No, not mmkay.

I agree that NYC is twice as big and important as LA but there is no conceivable way that LA is twice as important as Chicago. I would allow that LA *may* be a little more important as a global city, but in no way is it twice as important as Chicago. After NY, they are 1A and 1B. Check the GAWC and the many different global studies.
If looking at hard facts alone, LA is nearly twice the size of Chicago by CSA, 1.5X the size in GDP, and known the world over unlike Chicago, go ahead and throw whatever outlook, forbes, stats you want to throw, but those are facts you cannot dispute to be clear though I don't agree with that posters' assessment that LA is twice as important as Chicago nor that NYC is twice as big and Important as LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John
Top 8 PCSA's, 2013.

New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area: $1.5442 Trillion
New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area $1.379 Trillion
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area $87.2 Billion
New Haven-Milford, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area $40.2 Billion
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area $33 Billion
Trenton, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area $30 Billion
Torrington, CT Micropolitan Statistical Area
Kingston, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area $4.8 Billion
East Stroudsburg, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area

Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA Combined Statistical Area: $947.8 Billion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $792.4 Billion
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $115.7 Billion
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $39.7 Billion

Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area: $641.731 Billion
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area/Winchester Park, VA $461.4 Billion
Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD Metropolitan Statistical Area $162.1 Billion
Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area $8.7 Billion
Chambersburg-Waynesboro, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area $4.282
Winchester, VA-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area
California-Lexington Park, MD Metropolitan Statistical Area $5.249 Billion
Easton, MD Micropolitan Statistical Area
Cambridge, MD Micropolitan Statistical Area

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA Combined Statistical Area: $632.5 Billion
San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $377.2 Billion
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $181.2 Billion
Stockton-Lodi, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $20.8 Billion
Santa Rosa, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $20.6 Billion
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $15 Billion
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $10 Billion
Napa, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area $7.7 Billion

Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area: $595.3 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area $585.9 Billion
Ottawa-Peru, IL Micropolitan Statistical Area
Kankakee, IL Metropolitan Statistical Area $3.6
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metropolitan Statistical Area $3.8

Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT Combined Statistical Area: $479.9 Billion
Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH Metropolitan Statistical Area $346.4 Billion
Providence-Warwick, RI-MA Metropolitan Statistical Area $71.2 Billion
Worcester, MA-CT Metropolitan Statistical Area $31.1 Billion
Manchester-Nashua, NH Metropolitan Statistical Area $22.3 Billion
Barnstable Town, MA Metropolitan Statistical Area $8.9 Billion
Concord, NH Micropolitan Statistical Area
Laconia, NH Micropolitan Statistical Area

Houston-The Woodlands, TX Combined Statistical Area: $463.7 Billion
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area $463.7 Billion
Huntsville, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area
El Campo, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area
Bay City, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area
Brenham, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK Combined Statistical Area: $440.1 Billion
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area $436.4 Billion
Sherman-Denison, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area $3.7 Billion
Athens, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area
Corsicana, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area
Durant, OK Micropolitan Statistical Area
Gainesville, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area
Sulphur Springs, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area
Mineral Wells, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area

Last edited by Calisonn; 06-02-2015 at 01:30 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:58 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Bottom line:

Los Angeles is neither closer to New York or Chicago. It is simply just in the middle of the two in terms of size, status and importance.

New York basically is double the size of Los Angeles. It is also twice as important and holds twice the status. Los Angeles is twice the size of Chicago and has twice the importance and twice the status.

Mmkay?

Lol. NYC is not twice as important as LA. And LA is not twice as important as LA

Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
UAE, Ive stated that Manhattan is a powerful entity enough times before & tip my hat to that Great island of New York, Ive said without Manhattan annexation of the other boroughs that Manhattan wouldn't have the same economic power.

Im still waiting for you to post how many millionares Dallas has smart guy & for some strange reason i don't understand why you come to New York rescue in every post lol

Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
And The only comical part is when i proved Los Angeles County had the most millionares in the nation,Worlds most powerful brand & California more billionaires of any state & place on the planet except China & Californias home country the United States of course lol . Than you said oh well per capita is different lmao.Someone is jealous of the Gold Coast.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
UAE, Ive stated that Manhattan is a powerful entity enough times before & tip my hat to that Great island of New York, Ive said without Manhattan annexation of the other boroughs that Manhattan wouldn't have the same economic power.
First, the annexation of land by NY is no different than the annexation of land by every other city in the US including LA. Despite the annexation, NYC still takes up less land area than LA. It's not as if NYC annexed some absurd amount of land. Additionally, it wouldn't even matter because based off MSA statistics, NY annihilates LA the same.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:39 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
And The only comical part is when i proved Los Angeles County had the most millionares in the nation
You've already been told the NY MSA consists of about 25 small counties. LA MSA consists of 2 huge counties. NYC alone has a lot more millionaires than all of LA County. Do you need it drilled into you?

Quote:
Worlds most powerful brand
You've been proven wrong.

Quote:
California more billionaires of any state & place on the planet except China
Because it's the most populous state and within it are 3 major cities. You want to talk about LA metro and then when you lose, you want to bring LA County only into the discussion and compare it to small counties on the east coast, then you want to bring the entire state of California against individual states knowing states in the east are small and metro NY lies in 4 different states. It's stupid and makes no sense. California is too big and states here are too small and interconnected to compare to states in the west. The whole entire state of California barely has more billionaires than the NY area. No other city in the world has more billionaires.

Quote:
Than you said oh well per capita is different lmao.Someone is jealous of the Gold Coast.
Per capita is a true measurement. NYC isn't more dangerous than New Orleans just because NYC has more homicides.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-02-2015 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 PM

282 posts, read 350,558 times
Quote:
And The only comical part is when i proved Los Angeles County had the most millionares in the nation
No you did not.

Manhattan has more rich folks than the entire Los Angeles metropolitan area, as I pointed out several times. I'll keep pasting the below it if you need a reminder.

Taxpayers who earn $1 million and up
Manhattan: 18,952
Los Angeles Metro 13,891

http://www.city-data.com/forum/39825878-post117.html

Quote:
Worlds most powerful brand
New York is the Most Powerful City in the World | City Lab

Quote:
California more billionaires of any state
You're now grasping for straws and it's rather sad. You've lost the city versus city argument, so you've now moved onto comparing a city to a state and it's quite sad and desperate. Yes, the State of California with 40mm and several important cities does have a few more billionaires than the lonely City of New York lol. But New York City performs rather well for being 50% smaller, doesn't it? Especially when nearly all of this wealth comes from a single city. And you wonder why it is always crowned the most powerful city.

Billionaires
California: 104
New York metro: 101
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/danal...3970035433.jpg

But what significance does this have on the conversation? New York City vs Los Angeles, not New York City vs California. As much as you try to mask the relative poverty of Los Angeles behind behind Silicon Valley's shield of influence and wealth, nothing will hang the fact that New York City itself has far more wealth than the entire Southern California. Apples to Apples, buttercups

Quote:
Than you said oh well per capita is different
I never mentioned per capita. Manhattan, with its tiny population, has more rich people than the entire Los Angeles metro area in sheer numbers. And of course, per capita wise, it's a complete catastrophic blowout. But again, I never mentioned it but if you want to go there....lol.

Quote:
Someone is jealous of the Gold Coast.
Why would I be 'jealous' of a state I was born in? In my personal opinion, California is the greatest state in the nation, but this is a city argument, not a state vs city argument. New York City is the greatest and most powerful city in the world. I just a fierce believer in facts, and I'll spend as much time as it takes to correct your apparent ignorance. I'm patient.

Last edited by UAE50; 06-02-2015 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 03:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Lol. NYC is not twice as important as LA. And LA is not twice as important as LA
Agreed. Except replace the second LA with CHI (I know it was just an typo on your part).

Old 06-02-2015, 03:18 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
I love it when someone says "our cities are the exact same level" and then proceeds to cite "because GaWC said so."

Never gets old.

It has been explained on more than one occasion that the Alpha-Beta-Gamma crap is misunderstood and taken widely out of context. People just don't want to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City