Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:03 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Concerning DFW, Fort Worth has the better downtown and it isn't close right now. Dallas has potential to become much better and they do have better urban hoods surrounding downtown than Fort Worth does. But FW has more to do in their downtown. It's not close. I think Dallas made a major mistake honestly on ignoring the Trinity River and using it to their advantage.
Well, you're right, but that's because all the fun stuff and unique neighborhoods in Dallas are very spread out and aren't all centered in Downtown. Either way, there is no excuse for any city as big as Dallas to have a downtown that dead, though. And Fort Worth still has an upper hand on Dallas as far as culturally appealing things go as well.

Like I said, Dallas would be better to live in for most folks, but Fort Worth would be more fun to visit for most folks. Put both together and DFW is still a very nice place, and an awesome place to live and work, as well as play, when you know what to look for. But since most people don't know what to look for and the area is so spread out, I can understand why most people who are visiting for the first time or who don't know anything about the area would find it boring.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Most fun:
NYC
Washington, DC
Philly
Chicago
St. Louis
New Orleans
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Dallas (could see how it would be boring to others, though, since it has very few major tourist attractions)
Houston

Most boring:
Memphis
Nashville
Baltimore
Atlanta

If you're striving for any degree of objectivity, I'm not sure how you can list Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta among the most boring cities in the U.S. while maintaining a straight face. You must have a very strange and rather limited view of what constitutes "fun." I can certainly understand those cities not being your cup of tea, but it seems rather odd to see renowned entertainment cities listed here when there are literally dozens of American cities with virtually nothing note-worthy going on compared to these.

*sips tea as I prepare to head out to one of the two major music festivals this weekend that well over 200,000 people from all the world invade Middle Tennessee for annually.*

Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM

12,833 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't see how anyone can call a major city or metro boring, especially those over 4 or 5 million. But it is what it is.
Well, I think we're all speaking relatively. Dallas and San Jose are taking a hit in this thread, but there are few (except the complete anti-city crowd) that would tell you Little River, Kansas is more exciting than Dallas or San Jose.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post

If you're striving for any degree of objectivity, I'm not sure how you can list Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta among the most boring cities in the U.S. while maintaining a straight face.
Because I can; that's my opinion. I'm from Tennessee, by the way, so neither Memphis, Nashville, nor Atlanta are anything special to me. Especially Memphis and Nashville, and especially once you get past the few tourist traps they offer; as others have already mentioned, Memphis and Nashville have a very niche appeal, so most people who aren't into certain music genres or music stars wouldn't find them particularly alluring or worth a visit anyway. No need to be a homer about it. It is what it is.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:15 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Well, I think we're all speaking relatively. Dallas and San Jose are taking a hit in this thread, but there are few (except the complete anti-city crowd) that would tell you Little River, Kansas is more exciting than Dallas or San Jose.
Funny thing is that SJ itself really isn't that bad if you like low-key bars. Santana Row has some cool bars, and DTSJ has some stuff as well. East SJ has some pretty awesome banda/paisa clubs. The male/female ratio is a bit skewed (tech is definitely way more male than female), but if you're into really down to earth Asian girls, SJ is pretty cool.

I dunno, I try to find stuff to do and have fun no matter where I am. It's all about the people you're with mostly.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Some cities are great to live but are terrible to vacation in. Personally I think Charlotte is a nice city to live in but I don't recommend people visit it because as a tourist, it can be pretty boring. A lot of people are mentioning Memphis but I've actually had a good time there. It isn't the most exciting place out there but isn't the most boring. Here is my list.

Fun: New Orleans, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco
Boring: Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Charlotte

I want to note that I would live in Charlotte or Kansas City and could be happy there. Those cities offer great quality of life for their residents, but they aren't really places I would go out of my way to visit.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:35 PM

447 posts, read 495,810 times
Most fun: Chicago.......many times and is always fun.

Most Boring: Phoenix

Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM

I think Phoenix is getting a worse beating in this thread now than Dallas...lol.

Chicago seems to be coming up the most as the most fun.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:51 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
I'd vote Phoenix if I'd ever been there. But I have no desire to go there for the reason that I know it's boring

Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 PM

12,833 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Funny thing is that SJ itself really isn't that bad if you like low-key bars. Santana Row has some cool bars, and DTSJ has some stuff as well. East SJ has some pretty awesome banda/paisa clubs. The male/female ratio is a bit skewed (tech is definitely way more male than female), but if you're into really down to earth Asian girls, SJ is pretty cool.

I dunno, I try to find stuff to do and have fun no matter where I am. It's all about the people you're with mostly.
The male/female ratio was one of the things I noticed most. I went to a comedy show in Sunnyvale (I know, not quite San Jose) and literally everyone there but me worked in Tech (the comic asked those in tech to raise their hands). Bars in San Jose were pretty cool, but definitely mostly guys.

I should have been clearer, SJ isn't a bad place at all. It's just not particularly exciting (but it doesn't need to be). I agree with the bolded. Definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City