Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City is the most fun if you are loaded with money.

If you don't have money, then it's like a monster that can eat you alive.
Is that what you experienced living in NYC?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
No Baltimore isn't a tourist attraction, I don't see why anyone in there right mind would think otherwise. It's a nice city and I personally have an attachment to it being from DC and all. The Baltimore aquarium is pretty cool and I used to go as a kid. Besides that.... No Baltimore isn't a touristy city. It's a place where people live and work, no one comes from another country to see Baltimore.

Also Memphis and Nashville are very much an acquired taste. It really caters to one type of setting.
Baltimore Harbor IS a Tourist attraction area. I enjoyed it. Not saying all or most Baltimore is. But again the Harbor is well done and I'd go again.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:

No not really.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Second time you've said that but I don't see it coming up any more than a number of other cities. And Chicago being mentioned shouldn't really come as a surprise, despite what "the media and certain people" say. Clearly not enough people are drinking the "Chi-raq is a dangerous, un-tourist friendly war zone that should be avoided at all costs" Kool-Aid as it remains in the top 10 in international tourism (I do find its rank & #s a bit underwhelming, but that is mainly caused by other factors).
wow... finally a post of yours I agree with. Is the world ending.... I can't resist some pictures.

Navy Pier Chicago

Lake Michigan Chicago is along

Chicago's Millennium Park

Of Course taking in its Beaches even downtown one here

Old 06-11-2015, 12:42 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Most fun: New Orleans

Most boring: Fresno

Old 06-11-2015, 12:45 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
No, it just means that I see and know them for what they are and would feel the same way about them even if I was visiting them for the first time. I'm just being honest. I live in DFW now and as much as I love it, I have said repeatedly, "I could see how others could think it's boring even though I don't," and whether one finds cities boring or not "depends on the person and what they like to do and what they look for in the cities they visit." I think being from Tennessee has made you take the personal opinions of someone who doesn't share your personal opinion a little too personally. There is no need to get offended or attack someone just because they don't feel the same way you do about the cities and states that you live in and like. You are the only one who has done that so far in this entire thread, and it's not a good look for you or the cities you live in and like so much. You really should calm down.
I'll call B.S. on that one. I've visited many cities multiple times, and in not one of them has my initial impression remained true throughout. You can't say with honesty that your opinion would be the exact same as if you were visiting for the first time. I mean, unless you are extremely judgmental and closed-minded.

I don't think you have to *like* Nashville, Memphis, or Atlanta by any means. But to say they are boring places....well....to use a common internet saying....you're doing it wrong.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:54 AM

275 posts, read 415,919 times
Generally speaking, there are a lot of boring cities in America. For much of the 20th century, American cities were built around the nuclear family and automobiles. When Gramps was looking for a house after the War, he wasn't looking for "fun"--he was looking for a quiet and safe place to raise a family. Urban planners planned accordingly. They limited mixed-use development and restricted downtown areas to offices and maybe a few hotels. In these sprawling metropolises, entertainment was to be sought at your local mall or suburban shopping center.

Things began to change with the yuppie phenomenon that emerged in the 1980's and has only continued to intensify (see: gentrification). Although many of those original yuppies eventually moved out to suburbs to raise kids, many are now returning to city in search of fun once their nest empties. This thread is a sign of the times. Every city has its "fun areas" now, even if its a overall a pretty boring city.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:28 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
No such thing. Once an area reaches a certain size, if you can't find anything to do, it's not the city, it's you. You are just not as fun as YOU think you are.
But I think that's the thing: for some cities, you have to actively find things to do as a visitor, whereas with others, they just kinda slap you in the face. This is why cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. are more fun to live in than to visit compared to other cities their size.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:34 AM

275 posts, read 415,919 times
Quote:

NYC really isn't all what it's cracked up to be. Any New Yorker who has lived in the city for a few years will tell you this. The rents in formerly vibrant places like Greenwich Village and Soho are so high now that the only businesses that can survive there are chain stores. There was a recent NY Times article talking about the surprising vacancy rate in the Village because of "rent blight." Soho is really no different than your local mall in the suburbs. Brooklyn isn't much better. Every restaurant/bar/store there tries to so hard to be hip that they end up neglecting basic things like service and putting out a decent product. You can get artisinal whatever in every major city now so there's no need to pay outrageous NYC rents solely to have fun.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 AM

64 posts, read 84,866 times
I've tried visiting places that I've heard were pretty fun. I haven't found too many places boring thus far.

Most fun:
New Orleans
Austin
Seattle
San Diego

Most Boring:
San Antonio - Only spent one day... walked everywhere and NOTHING was going on. Maybe worth another shot.
Orlando
Jacksonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City