Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I actually think Chicago is one of the worst places for youjng people, due to the cost of living and salaries not keeping up with it. plus can't get outside as much and enjoy your youth.

a lot of liberals live in a bubble. anybody can make that type of accusation.

Chicago will always have Michael Jordan, or at least a sculpture of him. lol nobody can take that away from you. And Jay Cutler. lol
Maybe. I think the best thing is really to just ditch the US for the most part and travel the world--but of course, that's my personal preference.

Your comments on weather, jobs, and live music are kind of zingers though. Seems funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 11:54 AM

110 posts, read 116,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe. I think the best thing is really to just ditch the US for the most part and travel the world--but of course, that's my personal preference.

Your comments on weather, jobs, and live music are kind of zingers though. Seems funny.
ok, so you are well travelled? I never been able to go overseas, not that I really want to.

I am a naturally funny guy. It is true.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, the selling points were a lot more to do in general--you just seem to have distilled everything down to something that almost bears no resemblance to what others have said. See, it is very simple!

I don't think anyone thought your life or their own depended on this topic though--of course, I can't speak for everyone as there's no data on that either. I can neither confirm or disprove that this topic is killing people right now. It's unfortunate, but that's just the albatross we have to bear as city-data posters.

Just out of curiosity, just asking questions here, but have you ever lived in NYC, Chicago, or any big northern city?
yes I agree and his ANSWER IN A SPIN WAS NO HE NEVER LIVED IN OR BY CHICAGO. OR EVEN VISITED. Seems his Father has Chicago connections OR VISITED.

Quote:
ok, so you are well travelled? I never been able to go overseas, not that I really want to.

I am a naturally funny guy. It is true.
The one thing
Most of your post are as if... passive aggressive toward Chicago. I have no reason to knock Charleston.. but you constantly seem to think others defense of Chicago.... is of no warrant? CHICAGO has beaches and as if YOU HAVE NO IDEA THAT IT DOES? ... of course it has winters .. yes we know Charleston is in the SUNBELT and less severe winters. But just seeing the term Beach and Charleston repeated.... has me say..... BUT Chicago has BEACHES. Three are Downtown even.

Not a Ocean... but is in looks. The water is fresh and clear... no shark or jellyfish worries either. Plenty of yachts on its waters.

Then with the Young Urban Professionals in Chicago. It is REDICULAS to SAY WHY WOULD A 20-something CHOSE CHICAGO? BUT THEY DID AND DO.

Quote:
lol so why can't you actually counter my point with logical proofs?

Chicago is no doubt a decent big city. my father said it is nice, the architecture, the lake, etc. if you can deal with the high cost of living, high taxes, cold weather, 100 percent liberal population, etc.

I will only live in flat places if they are near the beach though.
Logical proofs? Guess you are daring us. .... You really did not say a whole lot on Charleston... just say it has what a big city offers but better. Every post is a KIND OF SPIN ON WHAT OTHERS SAY. Guess you would say the same of NYC especially, SF, Seattle with Chicago have a high cost of living so it is stupid to chose them?

Cross out the beaches not there... Spare us not a Ocean... most people are impressed with the similarity. For want they use a beach for.

WELL WELCOME TO CHICAGO...

..Oak St Beach in .......Montrose and North Ave ......A Yacht Party in..... Fun n' sun ....... BELOW from PLANE
Downtown Chicago.. Beaches North of Downtown ...Lake Michigan.....along the shore.... CHICAGO'S NORTH SHORE ⤵
Attached Thumbnails
Better city for someone in their 20s: Charleston, SC or Chicago?-oak-st.-beach-downtown-chicago-.jpg   Better city for someone in their 20s: Charleston, SC or Chicago?-montrose-beach-chicago.jpg   Better city for someone in their 20s: Charleston, SC or Chicago?-chicago-north-shore-beach_.jpg   Better city for someone in their 20s: Charleston, SC or Chicago?-chicago-yacht-party.jpg   Better city for someone in their 20s: Charleston, SC or Chicago?-chicago-beach__.jpg  

Better city for someone in their 20s: Charleston, SC or Chicago?-chicago-jet-flyover_..jpg  

Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chicago takes nightlife and transportation obviously; Charleston takes COL and weather (unless you prefer colder weather).

Other than that, these cities are extremely different so much will depend on what you're looking for in a city.
This thread should have been closed after this post.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
And Chicago is right on Lake Michigan and has a beach:
It actually has about 30 beaches.

This whole thread is funny. Chicago is one of the best cities in the country for 20 somethings up there with the likes of NYC, LA, etc. Anybody who doesn't know this has really not explored the city much. Charleston is a nice city - I've been there numerous times and really like it, but as someone who lives in both NYC and Chicago - it's not even a close contest. It's like comparing Albany, NY to LA or trying to compare Irvine, CA to NYC. It's just not even close to the same league. Charleston is nice but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The only thing Charleston clearly wins on is good, warm weather most of the year. Even COL isn't as much as a wash as people think. I see tons of 1 bedroom places in Charleston going for over $1000/month. You could easily live in Chicago in a 1 bedroom on the same amount. You also don't necessarily need a car in Chicago, so if you plan on moving to Charleston and need one, and don't 100% own one already, you could very possibly be paying more per month in Charleston than Chicago, or a similar amount.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:32 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
At first I thought I was arguing with someone who was simply clueless, but then I realized he was just a troll (who was subsequently banned). There's not much point continuing this thread.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It actually has about 30 beaches.

This whole thread is funny. Chicago is one of the best cities in the country for 20 somethings up there with the likes of NYC, LA, etc. Anybody who doesn't know this has really not explored the city much. Charleston is a nice city - I've been there numerous times and really like it, but as someone who lives in both NYC and Chicago - it's not even a close contest. It's like comparing Albany, NY to LA or trying to compare Irvine, CA to NYC. It's just not even close to the same league. Charleston is nice but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The only thing Charleston clearly wins on is good, warm weather most of the year. Even COL isn't as much as a wash as people think. I see tons of 1 bedroom places in Charleston going for over $1000/month. You could easily live in Chicago in a 1 bedroom on the same amount. You also don't necessarily need a car in Chicago, so if you plan on moving to Charleston and need one, and don't 100% own one already, you could very possibly be paying more per month in Charleston than Chicago, or a similar amount.
That's going to be in the most historic portions of the peninsula; you can do downtown living in Charleston in a 1 BR for much lower. Overall, Charleston definitely wins for COL on pretty much every front. But that and weather will be the only two things that it wins in this matchup.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
That's going to be in the most historic portions of the peninsula; you can do downtown living in Charleston in a 1 BR for much lower. Overall, Charleston definitely wins for COL on pretty much every front. But that and weather will be the only two things that it wins in this matchup.
When you say much lower, how much are you talking? $600 per month?

Old 06-22-2015, 01:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Charleston never struck me as a city for the young-Folly Beach is cool but seems pretty low-key. I would rather live in Savannah than Charleston-the city seems more laid back/young and the art scene is stronger with SCAD right in the city. The nightlife in Savannah seems livelier and open later. Tybee Island also seemed less uptight than Charleston beaches.

Charleston is a beautiful city but Chicago vs Charleston is just a strange comparison....

Old 06-22-2015, 01:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
When you say much lower, how much are you talking? $600 per month?
You can find some older properties in that range, but development is starting to creep northward on the peninsula which will threaten lower rental prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City