Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 PM

110 posts, read 116,402 times

Advertisements

'Post-college towns' brim with youth, jobs

Charleson for the win. Swish. It is now considered a top post-college city.

Using recent U.S. Census data, USA TODAY has identified 289 cities that have more 20-somethings than teens — in the case of Charleston and about a dozen other cities, it's 2-to-1 or higher.

The higher the ratio, the stronger the local pull for young adults. That's key, because city residents who are ages 10 to 19 mostly grew up there. But those who are 20 to 29 are much more likely to have moved to a city to attend college, follow a boyfriend or girlfriend, get married or relocate for a job. A high ratio is also an indicator that many young people simply never left.

Charleston has 197 people age 20-29 per 100 teens. Chicago has only 143 people age 20-29 per 100 teens.

From the article,

'Speaking of design, Charleston may be "the single most important city of inspiration to the New Urbanists" who have pushed to redesign cities around more densely populated, pedestrian-friendly living spaces, says Lang, the demographer.
He's seen it before, in places such as Alexandria, Va., and Savannah, Ga., both of which rank high on USA TODAY'S post-college list. "They're young and they live in old cities," says Lang. "Some of America's oldest cities have the youngest population."'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Charleston is a fine small town, but Chicago not only has more jobs, it has career opportunities that are simply non-existent in Charleston. How many fortune 500 companies, big law, top 10 research universities, trading firms, and consulting firms, are located in Charleston? Sure, there's probably a handful of such positions of this type in Charleston, but if you're career-minded and in one of these fields, your opportunities are much greater in large urban environments.

Also, you seem to lack imagination as you find it hard to believe that some people don't like hot weather, or that some people would rather go to live concerts or sports venues rather than going to the beach. Its true, however, that some people don't share the same beliefs and values that you do. I know, hard to believe.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:10 PM

who moves to any city without a job lined up first? Most people don't. I don't see how Chicago having more jobs than CHarleston is relevant, if a person is able to get job offer in Charleston. Chicago having more employers does not mean everybody will get a job offer there.

MUSC is a huge research university / medical college in downtown Charleston. Who is to say it is not a top 10 research center.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
who moves to any city without a job lined up first? Most people don't. I don't see how Chicago having more jobs than CHarleston is relevant, if a person is able to get job offer in Charleston. Chicago having more employers does not mean everybody will get a job offer there.

MUSC is a huge research university / medical college in downtown Charleston. Who is to say it is not a top 10 research center.

Its not just a matter of getting your first job. Its also the very important ability to change jobs easily without having to sell your house and relocate because there are plenty of other employers and jobs in your same field. It also means that your partner/spouse is more likely to find a position as well. That's the advantage of a bigger metro like Chicago.

I'm sure MUSC is a fine institution, but its not in the same league as Northwestern or University of Chicago. Maybe that doesn't matter to you, but it makes a big difference to people in the field of academic medicine.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 06-20-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I'm sure MUSC is a fine institution, but its not in the same league as Northwestern or University of Chicago. Maybe that doesn't matter to you, but it makes a big difference to people in the field of academic medicine.

do you have a medical degree?

Or basing this on rankings produced by liberal arts grads?

Old 06-20-2015, 02:27 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
For me, Charleston SC would win. Though Chicago has lots to offer and tons of nightlife, for me I prefer SC weather and living near the coast. Plus It still offers some good nightlife and dining as well. Being closer to the mountains is a plus as well. I'm 27 and very outdoorsy, love to be outside whenever possible. Maybe for those in their 20s who isn't nature lovers so much, might prefer Chicago.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Its not just a matter of getting your first job. Its also the very important ability to change jobs easily without having to sell your house and relocate because there are plenty of other employers and jobs in your same field. It also means that your partner/spouse is more likely to find a position as well. That's the advantage of a bigger metro like Chicago.

You never talk about how many people apply to each good job in Chicago. That seems relevant, if you are saying it is better for jobs. It could be, given CHicago is a bigger metro, that there are thousands more applications for a job in Chicago than for a similar job in Charleston.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
do you have a medical degree?

Or basing this on rankings produced by liberal arts grads?
Does it matter what my personal qualifications are? Its enough to say I've spent many years in the medical industry. These rankings are fairly well known by those who need to know these things. You can look up NIH grant totals, publication records, MCAT scores, etc. There's plenty of objective criteria out there. Again, I'm not saying MUSC is a bad school, or that they produce bad doctors, or patients have bad outcomes, because I don't think any of that is true. These kind of rankings really only matter, if you're in the field, but then they matter a great deal because it affects your career.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Does it matter what my personal qualifications are? Its enough to say I've spent many years in the medical industry. These rankings are fairly well known by those who need to know these things. You can look up NIH grant totals, publication records, MCAT scores, etc. There's plenty of objective criteria out there. Again, I'm not saying MUSC is a bad school, or that they produce bad doctors, or patients have bad outcomes, because I don't think any of that is true. These kind of rankings really only matter, if you're in the field, but then they matter a great deal because it affects your career.
I am saying that if you are not in the medical field or academics, how can you rank medical schools or reseach centers? It is like liberal arts grads ranking engineering programs.

If MUSC offers accreditted medical degrees, how can it be less than other medical universities. It is the same degree. A school in Chicago is not teaching a higher level of medicine to students.

The point is to do medical research. If a college is doing medical research, how can it be less than another college that is doing medical research. who decides what medical research is more important?

Old 06-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You never talk about how many people apply to each good job in Chicago. That seems relevant, if you are saying it is better for jobs. It could be, given CHicago is a bigger metro, that there are thousands more applications for a job in Chicago than for a similar job in Charleston.
Perhaps that's true. But if you get a job (and didn't you say who moves someplace without get a job first?) that's not really an issue.

And do you really want to make the argument that Charleston is better for those who aren't good enough to get a job in Chicago? I don't think that's what you're trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City