Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:41 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You're joking right?
He's actually probably correct on that one, as Charleston has a big restaurant scene and artificially small city limits due to restrictive annexation laws in SC. But it's not an apples-to-apples sort of comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:42 AM

110 posts, read 116,488 times
everything she asked about is pretty obvious, like weather.

What I was responding to was the assertion that 'most young people prefer Chicago' vs Charleston.

I wasn't limiting my discussion of Charleston to just the downtown district. Across the metro, there are more restaurants per capita than in Chicago metro

Old 06-20-2015, 11:43 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sure, stuff that happened 150 years ago. Only an idiot wouldn't know that Charleston didn't have slavery during that time, just like DC did. That's only casting a light on its history, not its present. Do you even know the difference?

So I guess you have no clue about the role of the U.S. in the Middle East over the years and the significance of the hijackers attacking the Pentagon huh? Yeah, got it.
Nope I'm completely aware I just don't see how that would affect people not wanting to move to DC because it doesn't affect the residents of the city. Also I'm aware it happened a long time ago but I'm not a writer of the New York post so don't get all up on me for that because I honestly don't care one bit. I'm aware of the difference, are you aware of the difference between reading and writing an article? I simply told you what I've been seeing. Calm down again.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 AM

Chicago is preferable to somebody who likes a corporate office building downtown. Charleston is anti- high rise because they feel it ruins the downtown vibe. I tend to agree with Charleston on this one.

In my spare recreational leisure time, do I really want to spend it in the shadows of corporate office spaces? Be reminded of the fact that I am slave to money?

reasonable minds can disagree.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Nope I'm completely aware I just don't see how that would affect people not wanting to move to DC because it doesn't affect the residents of the city. Also I'm aware it happened a long time ago but I'm not a writer of the New York post so don't get all up on me for that because I honestly don't care one bit. I'm aware of the difference, are you aware of the difference between reading and writing an article? I simply told you what I've been seeing. Calm down again.
You don't see how the 9/11 attacks would affect people wanting to move to DC "because it doesn't affect the residents of the city," yet you think what happened in Charleston would affect people wanting to move there? You CAN'T be serious right now, especially when in addition to 9/11, in recent years you had the DC sniper who targeted random people plus the Navy Yard attacks. You're MUCH more likely to be a victim of these types of attacks in DC than Charleston by far.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:51 AM

I can see Charleston's Bridge Run marathon being targeted similar to the boston maronthon bombing. if terrorists blew up that bridge during the run that would thousands of people

I've been paranoid about going to public places like movie theatres since that shooting in Colorado at the movie theatre a few years back.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:55 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You don't see how the 9/11 attacks would affect people wanting to move to DC "because it doesn't affect the residents of the city," yet you think what happened in Charleston would affect people wanting to move there? You CAN'T be serious right now, especially when in addition to 9/11, in recent years you had the DC sniper who targeted random people plus the Navy Yard attacks. You're MUCH more likely to be a victim of these types of attacks in DC than Charleston by far.
That wasn't my point at all but alright lmao. If you can't tell the difference between sarcasm and being serious than oh well. The poster brought up gang violence in Chicago but carry on.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
I know it's a city Sherlock. I'm talking about big city living CLEARLY, which most young people would prefer. Why do you think many young people dream of moving to NY, LA and Chicago?! This argument isn't even close and almost laughable.

Also yes abortion is one issue but that doesn't mean the youth is more conservative than liberal which you were clearly very wrong about. The youth is mostly liberal and also leans towards the Democratic Party which is why people are worrying about how the Republican Party will appeal to the youth. DUH? It's been on the news for a couple of years now.
This.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 PM

GOP did ok in the last election, historic wave election. that took place without any youth support?

The Democrat party likes to associate itself with youth (because being young is supposed to be hip, or something), but even Jon Stewart show, the average age of his audience is 40.

It would be interesting to poll young people and see which they would prefer to live in, Charleston or Chicago, if they could get the job they wanted in either city. I think it is going to be at least 70 percent for Charleston, if those polled have actually been to both cities.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:36 PM

I found this on Sterlings Best Places:

Best Cities for Dating
  1. Austin, TX
  2. Colorado Springs, CO
  3. San Diego, CA
  4. Raleigh/Durham, NC
  5. Seattle, WA
  6. Charleston, SC
  7. Norfolk, VA
  8. Ann Arbor, MI
  9. Springfield, MA
  10. Honolulu, HI
Worst Cities for Dating
  1. Kansas City, MO
  2. Wichita, KS
  3. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
  4. Detroit, MI
  5. Louisville, KY
  6. Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC
  7. Atlanta, GA
  8. Pittsburgh, PA
  9. Houston, TX
  10. Charlotte, NC
And this little gem: Charleston, SC: Ranks second in the amount of lingerie shops per capita (behind Columbia, SC)

I lol-ed. Seem like Charleston has some appeal to youth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City