Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 AM

110 posts, read 116,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Most young people that want warm climate move to LA or Miami. They don't care about historic towns either, I'm in my 20s I would know? I live in Northern Virginia.... None of the young people here care they live right next to George Washington home. We want nightlife, good food and vibrant culture which big cities like Chicago offer. Charleston is great place to retire though
you sure seem to know what every young person wants to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
It is one aspect, the beach being another. I've named several reasons why.

I don't know anybody in the south who finds a cold place like Chicago appealing.
I recommend meeting more people...

Old 06-20-2015, 11:19 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
you sure seem to know what every young person wants to do.
You need to get out more...

Old 06-20-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I recommend meeting more people...
I think that I could say the same for you. I think that you tend to associate with people just like you, who prefer large urban areas. I don't find New Orleans appealing either.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:21 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
I think that I could say the same for you. I think that you tend to associate with people just like you, who prefer large urban areas. I don't find New Orleans appealing either.
And after the recent incident happening in Charleston I doubt most of America finds Charleston appealing as well good day

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Ok

I'm just surprised that some of you think it is impossible that young people would prefer to live in a warmer climate in a historic city near the beach, than Chicago.

Or that Charleston is old , when it is crawling with young people, the 3rd largest public university in the state is right downtown, plus a huge medical university. Plus all the military installations bring in a lot of young people, along with young people deciding to move there because they want to be near the beach and workin gin retail/service jobs.
I agree that the "old" thing is overblown when it comes to Charleston for sure, but you're giving weather and proximity to beaches entirely too much weight here. Young folks are going where there are job opportunities first and foremost, as well as cities that provide lots to do, metropolitan amenities, etc. Charleston does well on this front as a smaller city, but it just can't compete with cities like Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston, etc. on this front. If weather and beaches were the top consideration, then Miami would be a magnet for large numbers of college grads yet it's not.

Quote:
You need to get out more...
ok, Chicago has a bad reputation in the south as being a gangland area.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
And after the recent incident happening in Charleston I doubt most of America finds Charleston appealing as well good day
That was extremely insensitive on your part and was completely unnecessary. You should be ashamed of yourself, especially since the killer wasn't even from Charleston. Wow, I'm completely floored.

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Charleston has no great museums, nightlife, baseball games downtown, etc?
Did I suggest that? No. But clearly the two cities are in different classes here. Don't kid yourself.

Quote:
How do you determine which downtown has more a more 'vibrant' nightlife. That seems highly subjective. We are just talkng about bars and restaurants and people out and about downtown. A downtown area cannot get more vibrant than Charleston's, it is packed out all the time.
Use any metric you'd like: number of bars and restaurants; time of last call; number of concert venues; whatever criteria US News, Travel&Leisure, and other publications use to create their top 10 lists; whatever you want. Sure, Charleston has nightlife, but really, it's a very small scene relative to Chicago. At least South Carolina did away with mini bottles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that the "old" thing is overblown when it comes to Charleston for sure, but you're giving weather and proximity to beaches entirely too much weight here. Young folks are going where there are job opportunities first and foremost, as well as cities that provide lots to do, metropolitan amenities, etc. Charleston does well on this front as a smaller city, but it just can't compete with cities like Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston, etc. on this front. If weather and beaches were the top consideration, then Miami would be a magnet for large numbers of college grads yet it's not.
this topic isn't about where the most jobs are. there are obviously more jobs in Chicago.

The premise for a topic like this is , which city would you prefer if you can get a job in either. Nobody is guaranteed a job offer in either city. Moving to either city without a job is a risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City