Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:11 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NYC falls under humid subtropical climate zone.
Philly (city proper) is the lowest humid continental northeastern city so that makes NYC also a humid continental.
Quote:
"Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has a humid continental climate with hot summers and no dry season"
https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Quote:
"New York, New York has a humid continental climate with hot summers and no dry season".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
According to this map it doesn't. Parts of Philly metro does though.
This map looks like it was roughly drawn by hand, and on the wiki page right next to the map it says that NYC is in the humid subtropical zone. The definition for it is that the coldest month average temp has to be above melting point (0 C, 32 F). NYC coldest month average temps are above that. Chicago, which is humid continental, has their coldest month average temp whole 8 degrees colder, and below melting point aka snow.

Here is the link to the Humid Subtropical Zone page where you got the map, it clearly singles out NYC as within that zone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humid_subtropical_climate

If not for the warm waters of the gulf stream NYC would have a temperate climate.

Last edited by Gantz; 10-13-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 10:43 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly (city proper) is the lowest humid continental northeastern city so that makes NYC also a humid continental.

Uhhh... OK

Old 10-13-2015, 04:56 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This map looks like it was roughly drawn by hand, and on the wiki page right next to the map it says that NYC is in the humid subtropical zone. The definition for it is that the coldest month average temp has to be above melting point (0 C, 32 F). NYC coldest month average temps are above that. Chicago, which is humid continental, has their coldest month average temp whole 8 degrees colder, and below melting point aka snow.

Here is the link to the Humid Subtropical Zone page where you got the map, it clearly singles out NYC as within that zone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humid_subtropical_climate

If not for the warm waters of the gulf stream NYC would have a temperate climate.
Wow. Glad we are digging in this topic more. It appears that from NYC to Florida is in the humid subtropical zone, where it turns tropical in South Florida. Looking at the average monthly relative humidity of the cities on the East Coast, most are in the same ballpark.

The roughly drawn climate map though needs some work so it matches with the written details!

Oh yes, the main topic for this thread:

1. NYC
2. DC
3. Boston
4. Philly
5. Baltimore

Last edited by revitalizer; 10-13-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 08:37 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thats a pretty ridiculous way of looking at whats most important in the Northeast. This is 2015, not 1776.

Here is what I think most would agree on:

-New York is most important
-Washington DC is 2nd most important
-Baltimore is least important

You can go ahead and argue which is more important between Philly and Boston.
This. If that post wasn't meant as a joke then that's just pure sadness lol.

NYC
DC
Boston
Philadelphia
Baltimore/Pittsburgh

Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
DC shouldnt even be included in any northeast poll but I guess if people are going by that northeast corridor train route it could be. DC is a former southern swamp that was chosen for its southern location to placate the southern gentry after the revolution, named after one of the most famous southerners of all time George Washington, we are in the subtropical humid climate zone and this climate is about as different as can be from boston, buffalo, rochester, pittsburgh or nyc.

A winter like bostons last year or alot of the northeast would literally shut down washington dc, traffic at rush hour would just be a national emergency type situation. Our weather is alot more like richmonds than boston,buffalo, pittsburgh, etc
LOL You still using that "swamp" bit again after people argued with you to the contrary?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Northeast corridor train route? lol. No, DC is part of the Northeast Megalopolis - the most heavily urbanized region in the U.S.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

Former southern swamp? lol. Chicago and New Orleans were actually built on swamps, far more than DC ever had. New York City had swamps too. There was one (a red maple swamp to be exact) where Times Square currently stands today:
Before New York — National Geographic Magazine
oh, yes....almost forgot.......13 square miles (or 8320 acres) of Staten Island was swampy as well as parts of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn too.

A little more reading about how DC isn't really built on a swamp:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...lt-on-a-swamp/

Oh, yes - a few more facts. There were 100 acres in 6 small swampy areas in the original DC - which amounted to about 2% of the total land area in the original city's boundaries. I'll repeat that again - only 2%. For some more perspective, current DC land area totals 39,072 acres.

And, about the climate. DC has 4 distinct seasons - winter, spring, summer, and fall. The humid subtropical climate zone that DC is in also includes a portion of Pennsylvania and half of New Jersey. New York City and Boston are in the humid continental climate zone. See how it also includes the word humid there as well?
Ether. Drop that common-sense knowledge on the sheep!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Old 10-20-2015, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 14,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'd say Pittsburgh and Baltimore are debatable at number 5. Surely, Pittsburgh is more attractive currently, and leads Baltimore in any number of "importance" criteria...
I was only talking about the 5 cities in the northeast megalopolis or northeast corridor which is Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore, and DC. Yes Pittsburgh is in the Northeast and if we were talking about the entire Northeastern region of the U.S. I would put Pittsburgh at #5 ahead of Baltimore but this forum is talking about the 5 major cities in the northeast corridor between Boston and DC which can be extrapolated to Manchester, NH in the northern end of Boston's MSA and Richmond, VA in the southern end of Washington's MSA

Old 10-20-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Sorry Wilmington, I don't think they should number 10.
How is Providence above Hartford and New Haven. I'm extremely surprised to see New Haven above Hartford. If I had to redo your list I would put Newark at 6, Hartford at 7, Providence at 8, and New Haven at 9. Newark is the way it is because of NYC. Hartford has one of the highest GDP out of these 4 as well more jobs. Though I may be wrong. Does Newark have more jobs? The Hartford area does have more large well known companies such as Aetna, Cigna, Travelers, The Hartford, Pratt and Whitney, Otis Elevators, UTC, and many more. Providence can't compete with that though Providence does have a better night scene and more foot traffic. Though that's very irrelevant to the topic. Newark does have a lot going on right now. Its very close to NYC which is obviously number 1. Its very important to NYC's economy as well as many surrounding cities such as Stamford and White Plains.

Where's Buffalo?
Again I was only talking about the Northeast "Corridor" in between Boston and DC which Buffalo is not a part of

Old 10-20-2015, 03:18 PM

Upon reconsideration, I'd actually switch the order of Boston and Philly and put Boston at #3 ahead of Philly based on its educational, cultural, and economic status which are all superior to Philly's. Boston is an Alpha World City (one of only 6 cities in the US that is an Alpha World City). The 6 Alpha World Cities in the US are Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. I really don't think Atlanta is in the same league as the other 5 but I guess hosting the 96 Olympics, having the world's busiest airport, and being the headquarters of Coca-Cola, CNN, The Home Depot, Time Warner, TBS, and the Weather Channel counts for something and makes it more viable. Meanwhile, Philly is only a Beta World City among the likes of cities like Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, DC etc. while Baltimore is among the lowly ranks of Gamma World City. On the national stage, in terms of prominence I'd probably rank Boston #6 behind NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, and SF and Philadelphia would probably fall somewhere around 10th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City