Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 01:28 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Is hip, artsy and foodie a measurable metric? In my opinion whether a city is hip, artsy or a foodie town is highly subjective. Let's use the Indianapolis Convention Center as an measurable metric example. The convention center generates $800 million a year in economic impact, according to Visit Indy, the city’s convention and tourism marketing arm. In 2014, its 433 meetings, trade shows, conventions and other events generated more than $32 million in hotel, rental car, and food and beverage taxes and another $53 million in state sales tax. What economic impact does the LEISURE traveler (your words not mine) have on the Louisville economy?
Big time impact. Cool begets cool. Hip begets hip. Indy people on CD will never admit the truth about their city and that is ok. We have two forumers here who also moved to Louisville from big cities...they corroborate what I say. I stand by my rankings, and most everyone is polling the same way. Hip, artsy and cool is subjective but Louisville is ranked in dozens of online polls to this effect. You will barely find Indy on a few and all Indy people can come up with is "we're bigger and generate more money." That's great. Detroit is 5 times bigger than Austin but would anyone consider it more hip? Not that Indy is anything like Detroit but you get the idea. What is a marquee event in Indy outside 500? When I come to Indy, what is a food or drink that represents the city? Where can I listen to live blues at 330 or 4 am? Can I get sushi at 2 am? I can do all that in Louisville.

Louisville: Please & Thank You’s Cookie-Fueled Rise To The Top

These are the type of people who move to Louisville from Indy. Creative types. Indy gets Louisville's corporate types as indeed the economy is more robust with corporate office jobs. Her shop will have the best cookies, coffee, and pastry in Indy if she expands there. Her 2nd location is in the rapidly gentrifying, dense and urban Portland area, and her third store is going into the hipster neighborhood of Clifton.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM

495 posts, read 779,163 times
1). Kansas City
2). Indy
3). Nashville
4). Louisville

Louisville isn't really in the same class (i.e. no professional sports teams). Louisville is more along the lines of Omaha or Tulsa.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,074,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post
Nashville over Indy? Everybody doesn't like country music.so I guess it depends what your looking for. Each city has its unique pulling points but what's unfair is when people who aren't from here and don't know what Indy has to offer but quick to put Indy down cause all you know is where your from. Indy has just as much to offer as any city.ask the NFL or Indy wouldn't have hosted a super bowl. There's not one other city in the Midwest that can say that not even Chicago

So Detroit which has hosted two superbowls is not in the Midwest?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
KC and Indy are NOT big cities. They offer nothing major one would need to live that Louisville doesn't unless you must have pro sports to live. Even then, Louisville has by far superior college sports so it is a preference.
1. I don't recall ever arguing that KC or Indy are "big cities". I certainly don't think they are. But they are both demonstrably bigger than Louisville and Nashville in every regard. Doesn't make them "better". I think KC is quite a bit better than many cities bigger than it is, and I'm sure a salient and relavent argument could be made for Louisville, or Nashville, or, for that matter, many of the cities in the next teir down from Louisville. But to me, KC and Indy are on the smallest end of what I would call mid sized cities. Louisville and Nashville as "small cities"). To me a "big city" more or less means an urbanized area of 3 million plus. So your San Diego/Seattle/San Francisco sized cities on up.

2. KC offers quite a few things that Louisville simply does not, including, but not limitted to, pro sports. That's just part and parcel of being 1.5 times bigger. Cities that are 1.5 times bigger than KC (like StL, Baltimore and Denver) offer things it does not. Cities than are 2/3rds the size of Louisville, even cool ones like Grand Rapids or Omaha, don't offer quite as much as Louisville. It's not a value judgement or an indictment of Louisville.

3. Not that it is any kind of point of pride, but, for the record, college sports is as big a part of KC culture as it is Louisville's. And KU is just straight up cooler than Louisville (though I still think the Big XII would have been wise to pick up Louisville [and Cincinnati!]).

Old 09-30-2015, 02:26 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
So Detroit which has hosted two superbowls is not in the Midwest?
Or Minneapolis, who hosted in 1992 and is hosting again in 2018.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:47 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,168,681 times
Quote:
Nashville over Indy? Everybody doesn't like country music
Country music is probably more prevalent as a function of population in Indy, KC or Louisville than Nashville. I don't like Nashville much, I'm certainly a long way from its biggest fan, but the old Nashville=country music association is pretty out of date.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:51 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,153,483 times
Quote:
You guys have no idea how bad it is in KY. Louisville can't even think about getting mass transit because it doesn't even have adequate roads. What kind of city the size of Louisville has 2 lane freeways like I-64 and I-71 traveling throughout the city? So, because Nashville cannot get a few big ticket items you say they don't get what they want? Come on now. It is no coincidence that state capitol cities are more economically and growth positive than their counterparts since the growth of big government post WWII. There is not a state capitol in America that is not doing really well.
Oh Indy has succeeded in spite of its state government. Same could probably be said for others like Nash or bham. In some respects Lou fits into the category of paying more into the state than the get in return along with Oldham and bullitt. Lawmakers in taker counties in any state will make sure they get more than they put in at the behest of the counties that give.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:21 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,153,483 times
Quote:
Big time impact. Cool begets cool. Hip begets hip. Indy people on CD will never admit the truth about their city and that is ok. We have two forumers here who also moved to Louisville from big cities...they corroborate what I say. I stand by my rankings, and most everyone is polling the same way. Hip, artsy and cool is subjective but Louisville is ranked in dozens of online polls to this effect. You will barely find Indy on a few and all Indy people can come up with is "we're bigger and generate more money." That's great. Detroit is 5 times bigger than Austin but would anyone consider it more hip? Not that Indy is anything like Detroit but you get the idea. What is a marquee event in Indy outside 500? When I come to Indy, what is a food or drink that represents the city? Where can I listen to live blues at 330 or 4 am? Can I get sushi at 2 am? I can do all that in Louisville.

Louisville: Please & Thank You’s Cookie-Fueled Rise To The Top

These are the type of people who move to Louisville from Indy. Creative types. Indy gets Louisville's corporate types as indeed the economy is more robust with corporate office jobs. Her shop will have the best cookies, coffee, and pastry in Indy if she expands there. Her 2nd location is in the rapidly gentrifying, dense and urban Portland area, and her third store is going into the hipster neighborhood of Clifton.
I just posted a link to a few of those rankings last night. I take it you didn't bother to read it which I suspected. Lou was in one and that was the bucket list with the derby. The culture and hip polls Indy fell in Louisville didn't so what's your point?

Big ticket items is only Indy 500? You have brickyard while not as prestigious as Daytona for obvious reasons actually draws more people. Gencon, Indiana black expo, mini marathon, big ten football championship, the final fours it hosts, moto gp, national ffa convention which used to split with Lou until ffa just decided to stay with Indy, drum corp international world championship, Penrod art fair, heatland film festival, big 10 men and women basketball tournaments and on.

500, Penrod, heartland, mini all draw international visitors every year.

Indiana bars by law close at 3am, last call at 2:30 so you can get a drink at any of the 2600 restaurants open that serve it compared to the 1590 in Lou (source: trip advisor). Blues go to the slippery noodle, oldest bar in indiana or the chatterbox or jazz kitchen or naptown boogie. Come on man, you are grasping at straws here. Do you really think Indy doesn't have these things. Just use a little common sense man. Indiana known for its pork tenderloin and sugar cream pie and the shrimp cocktail at St Elmo's.

Stop injecting your personal opinion as fact. If you just say in my opinion Lou is this and this, fine. When you say the world think Lou is this and better blah blah, well that's a bunch of bull and should be called out for what it is.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
Quote:
Nashville over Indy? Everybody doesn't like country music.so I guess it depends what your looking for. Each city has its unique pulling points but what's unfair is when people who aren't from here and don't know what Indy has to offer but quick to put Indy down cause all you know is where your from. Indy has just as much to offer as any city.ask the NFL or Indy wouldn't have hosted a super bowl. There's not one other city in the Midwest that can say that not even Chicago
Really? You don't know Nashville then. Downtown's tourist area with all the country bars is like that. But it's just that...country bars...for tourists. You think all the college students at Vandy head to country bars every weekend? You think downtown is the only with nightlife? I can't tell you how many shows I've missed in Nashville because I'm stuck doing work in law school lol. I'm into EDM and Nashville is the capital of EDM in this region too. Mad Decent Block Party goes there too. Also, oftentimes when a DJ travels to Indiana, it's to Bloomington and not Indy.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Just because I almost never do this anymore! And I know how much the Indy homers hate my photos . Here are a couple of brand new pics of downtown KCMO.

I still say that KC's Downtown to Plaza corridor is more built up than the other cities. Now outside of that area of KCMO, the city really starts to get way too low density for my taste, but KC just has more dense districts than the other cities and now that nearly all the buildings in the Crossroads and River Market have been re-purposed, there is a considerable amount of new construction infill. The city has a ton of very interesting and often contrasting districts.

I know Nashville, Louisville and Indy all have similar development, but people in this thread are acting like KCMO is OKC or something. It's a bigger more urban city than the others in this thread. Period.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-30-2015 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City