Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Louisville just scored a 100 on the the MEI. The other cities have some work to do.

Louisville scores 100 in human Rights Campaign
KC also scored 100. Indianapolis scored a 92, while Nashville scored a 66.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:40 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
All of those cities received a boost from the 2014 number by default because of the supreme court ruling forcing their respective states to recognize same sex marriage which is part of the score card.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
There's no hope for Nashville to get a perfect score. Nashville passed a non discrimination ordinance years ago and our crazy state legislature spared no time in creating a law to nullify it. And...I believe that one item was a large portion of their scoring.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Thrillist has a page for Louisville and Nashville, but not KC or Indy, for example.
https://www.thrillist.com/indianapolis

I suspect KCMO will be honored with a thrillist page of their own someday soon as well.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
There's no hope for Nashville to get a perfect score. Nashville passed a non discrimination ordinance years ago and our crazy state legislature spared no time in creating a law to nullify it. And...I believe that one item was a large portion of their scoring.
Louisville has benefited from having moderate Democrats as governor. Gov Beshear was a progressive as you get for a Southern state, he vetoed a bill similar to what Indiana got criticized for and took a hands off approach when it came to cities passing their own non discrimination bills. The new guy (Bevin) could take a hard line, it's too early to tell. In general I don't think there's much difference in gay rights between Louisville, Nashville, Indy, KC, etc.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:48 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville has benefited from having moderate Democrats as governor. Gov Beshear was a progressive as you get for a Southern state, he vetoed a bill similar to what Indiana got criticized for and took a hands off approach when it came to cities passing their own non discrimination bills. The new guy (Bevin) could take a hard line, it's too early to tell. In general I don't think there's much difference in gay rights between Louisville, Nashville, Indy, KC, etc.
Nashville scored zero points for the following:

Transgender inclusive healthcare benefits
Non-discrimination laws affecting the state, county, and city
LGBT liaison in the Mayor's office
City provides services to LGBT elderly
Cities are pro-equality despite restrictive state law

Without any bonus points included, Nashville failed with a score of 54 points.

Indianapolis scored 82 without any bonus points included.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:24 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
It seems like there is a lot of development in all of these cities--are there a lot of infrastructure improvements going on as well?

Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It seems like there is a lot of development in all of these cities--are there a lot of infrastructure improvements going on as well?
I can't speak for all, but Louisville just finished a new bridge connecting to the Southern Indiana suburbs and another is being constructed further east and upstream over the Ohio. The city has been making a lot more bike lanes in the inner neighborhoods and especially around University of Louisville. A streetcar is being considered going down 4th Street which is basically the heart of the city. It connects downtown Louisville to the university through the Old Louisville historic district. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there is more going on.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:20 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Louisivlle has the most infrastructure improvements....actually some of the most in the country. About 3 billion worth under construction just in infrastructure...another 2 billion or so just in urban core/downtown development. The city will look much different by 2020.....

Old 12-24-2015, 04:14 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisivlle has the most infrastructure improvements....actually some of the most in the country. About 3 billion worth under construction just in infrastructure...another 2 billion or so just in urban core/downtown development. The city will look much different by 2020.....
What are the infrastructure investment numbers for the other three cities? Your statement implies that you have this data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City