Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 05:04 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think with the last part of your post, it may be a matter of the Atlanta area having solid, affordable suburban areas to where they can still have a decent, solid quality of life versus the area they come or there is a perception that this is the case. Meaning, say if you are from a rough neighborhood in let's say Newark, instead of moving to say Maplewood, South Orange, etc., moving to a select suburb of Atlanta is a more viable option economically, based upon said person's situation.
I should have added that some in this situation may move to more affordable areas further inland within the Northeast as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Houston has a new radio station: Amazing 102.5. It plays Old Jams. 90.9 KTSU plays rap, R&B, gospel, Old Skool, etc.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:47 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
black political power in a city
leading black educational institutions in a city
a city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
harmonious black-white race relations in a city.
History

Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Neither culture is my cup of tea.

I just love how y'all bring Alabama into the equation. I live in Houston now.
But your from Alabama and you stay trying to come for Atlanta

Old 02-14-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well it beats the "We shall overcome" culture found in much of Alabama...and SC...and the rest of Georgia...etc etc.
OMG!!! My hairline started to receed after this comment. GOT EEEEMMMM !!!!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
But your from Alabama and you stay trying to come for Atlanta
What does that have to do with anything? Have several seats.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Houston has a new radio station: Amazing 102.5. It plays Old Jams. 90.9 KTSU plays rap, R&B, gospel, Old Skool, etc.
102.5 has been around for a minute.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? Have several seats.
I'll have a seat when you have one. I know you have this new found love for Houston but sorry it doesn't hold a candle to Atlanta when it comes to the black experience. Your better off using Houston as being a more diverse city. Houston ain't no black Mecca

Old 02-15-2016, 04:54 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
I'll have a seat when you have one. I know you have this new found love for Houston but sorry it doesn't hold a candle to Atlanta when it comes to the black experience. Your better off using Houston as being a more diverse city. Houston ain't no black Mecca
Compared to American cities as a whole yes Houston is a black Mecca. It's at least top 5.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Compared to American cities as a whole yes Houston is a black Mecca. It's at least top 5.
Quote:
superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
black political power in a city
leading black educational institutions in a city
a city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
harmonious black-white race relations in a city.
History

No, I would put New Orleans, Detroit, Philly, NYC, Bmore over Houston if you look at the definition of black mecca. Yes I know Detroit and Bmore have crime problems/etc but according to the definition of black mecca Houston isnt in the top 5. Again we need to stop making up personal definitions of black mecca. The poster above posted the definition of black mecca. In order to be a black mecca you have to have an undisputed leading role in ALL of the qualifications listed above for at least 20 years.

Only two cities fit the definition of black mecca. Once you get below the #2 spot it shifts from "black mecca" to cities that are good for blacks. Cities that are good for blacks may have 2-4 out of the 6 qualifications listed above. I wish people would stop trying to make cities out to be different than what they are.

Black Mecca List

1. ATL/DC
2. DC/ATL
3. NYC
4. Detroit/Chicago
5. Chicago/Detroit
6. New Orleans
7. Philly
8. Baltimore
9. Memphis
10. Houston/Charlotte/Dallas

Yes I know several of these cities have a decreasing black population, has high crime stats, etc but I'm strictly talking about black mecca and what the definition of what a black mecca is. Its no way that Houston beats out Detroit or Chicago for the top 5 position. Those cities plus New Orleans, Philly, etc have made enough contributions to be on this list. Just because black people are moving to these "new cities" doesnt make them a black mecca. You have to have at least 20 years in the game at the #1 or #2 position at all those categories to be considered a black mecca. With the #10 list this is for up and coming cities. Like I said in order to have the black mecca label you have to have at least 20+ years of undisputed at #1 or #2 positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City