Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times

Advertisements

Riggght but when others use anecdotes against Chicago its ok. All I said was that the census is deeper than a number. I'm not gona keep talking about this and keep the thread off topic. Congrats on your opinion though

Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Please ban these dementors.
They always come in packs and talk about Chicago decaying and don't see anything besides Census stats.

Can't see how gentrification brings smaller family units in place of previous units housing multiple generations.
Can't see that many parts are more lively then they ever where.

All they see is stats.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 AM

29 posts, read 36,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Can't see how gentrification brings smaller family units in place of previous units housing multiple generations.
Nice theory, except makes no sense whatsoever.

NYC and SF have far more gentrification than Chicago, yet have growing populations.

And basically the only parts of Chicago which are growing are the yuppie areas. Gentrification is responsible for the growth in U.S. urban centers. I have never heard anyone claim that gentrification causes citywide population loss.

You're seriously claiming that areas way out by Midway Airport or Lake Calumet are losing population because of gentrification?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
They always come in packs and talk about Chicago decaying and don't see anything besides Census stats.

All they see is stats.
Yea, gentrification can have that effect. Gentrification can also bring higher-density housing structures and revival of abandoned or empty lots. There are parts of Chicago that are improving, but there are also a lot of parts that aren't or are decaying. I think on the balance, the city of Chicago is about even but not really getting that much better. I'm curious as to what effects having Rahm will have.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, gentrification can have that effect. Gentrification can also bring higher-density housing structures and revival of abandoned or empty lots. There are parts of Chicago that are improving, but there are also a lot of parts that aren't or are decaying. I think on the balance, the city of Chicago is about even but not really getting that much better. I'm curious as to what effects having Rahm will have.
Rahm has been bringing jobs in. Sara Lee is moving downtown. Google is looking for downtown space. Pilsen is gentrifying. Hyde park has several high density housing in the works and a lot of retail development planned.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,110 times
Quote:

All they see is stats.
Then explain why is Chicago losing 200K per decade? Chicagoans are the kings and queens of making excuses for their city. Chicago is uninteresting for businesses and job creation which leaves no reason to live in Chicagoland and put up with the brutal winter, high poverty, extravagant crime, boring topography, miserable sports, declining economy, tanking housing market, obnoxious self centered clueless people. Your buddy says Chicago's population loss is the result of gentrification and demolition of housing projects. Look at DC for example, three times more expensive than Chicago and also tearing down housing projects but still manages to grow in population where Chicago which for a 10 million populated metro is practically free and declines faster than every other city. Its a Chicagoan pet peeve to squeeze Chicago in with the NE metros Boston or New York and dump the rest of the midwest then pretend it doesn't belong with. Welcome the next 40 years of your life watching the tabloids as one by one other metros begin surpassing Chicago indefinitely. SF's economy just waved you goodbye, that should be a wake up call Chicagoans. Save your city while you still can before more problems pile on

Not saying Chicago wont improve or can get better but it needs to fix the decay in half the city, regulate incentives to attract, and clear out corruption. I prefer Chicago to Philly and Chicago is more desirable to me than Philly

Last edited by Slyman11; 10-17-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yep that's the thing, it's pretty balanced, and if anything well...look at the #'s, the improving areas can not keep up with the decaying areas and the more blue collar middle class have been steadily hitting the burbs. That being said, I don't think the inner and close to DT neighborhoods have ever been as nice as they are right now. But you know, the bad areas are pretty terrible with more murders than NYC at about 1/4-1/3 the size. Hide to hard that, but I think the future is still bright for Chicago and in general megacities of the u.s. altogether as we continue to move to a more knowledge/service based economy. We are just going through some growing pains right now.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Then explain why is Chicago losing 200K per decade? Chicagoans are the kings and queens of making excuses for their city. Chicago is uninteresting for businesses and job creation which leaves no reason to live in Chicagoland and put up with the brutal winter, high poverty, extravagant crime, boring topography, miserable sports, declining economy, tanking housing market, obnoxious self centered clueless people. Your buddy says Chicago's population loss is the result of gentrification and demolition of housing projects. Look at DC for example, three times more expensive than Chicago and also tearing down housing projects but still manages to grow in population where Chicago which for a 10 million populated metro is practically free and declines faster than every other city. Its a Chicagoan pet peeve to squeeze Chicago in with the NE metros Boston or New York and dump the rest of the midwest then pretend it doesn't belong with. Welcome the next 40 years of your life watching the tabloids as one by one other metros begin surpassing Chicago indefinitely. SF's economy just waved you goodbye, that should be a wake up call Chicagoans. Save your city while you still can before more problems pile on

Not saying Chicago wont improve or can get better but it needs to fix the decay in half the city, regulate incentives to attract, and clear out corruption. I prefer Chicago to Philly and Chicago is more desirable to me than Philly
Chicago is not loosing 200,000 per decade. It gained last decade.

As a poster said three posts before, the new mayor has been creating many jobs. An auto plant is opening, Walmart is coming, google is expanding, etc.

The topography is not boring

It does not have high crime(Go to Detroit or New Orleans then talk about Chicago crime)

The bulls > your city's team

you're obnoxious

The metro is growing not shrinking

Only non-chicagoans compare it to eastern cities

And the winter doesn't suck.

There, I have just trumped everything you said.

Quit speaking out of your ass.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,110 times
Quote:
Chicago is not loosing 200,000 per decade. It gained last decade.

As a poster said three posts before, the new mayor has been creating many jobs. An auto plant is opening, Walmart is coming, google is expanding, etc.

The topography is not boring

It does not have high crime(Go to Detroit or New Orleans then talk about Chicago crime)

The bulls > your city's team

you're obnoxious

The metro is growing not shrinking

Only non-chicagoans compare it to eastern cities

And the winter doesn't suck.

There, I have just trumped everything you said.

Quit speaking out of your ass.
I mistyped, Chicago didn't lose 200K in the last decade it lost 201K. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Sonny . Chicago before 2,896,616 and Chicago now 2,695,597

1. Wal-Mart is coming to Chicago. This makes you happy? When Walmart invades any neighborhood the neighborhood becomes undesirable

2. Chicago averages 58" of snow each winter with the cold fronts from the lake and the occasional wind chills. You call that a good winter? Chicago gets so cold that if you trip while walking it will tear half your face off.

3. Chicago Bulls were relevant in the '90s under Jordan. Will get stomped by Miami every season like they did 2010/2011. Miami is my team but I respect the Bulls

4. Chicago crime is sick, thirteen year old children brutally beating their parents to death for an hour. Five year olds being shot down by gang members while playing in their neighborhoods... gross

5. Chicago is flat, its boring to drive in. Don't misunderstand me, nothing wrong with being flat but it gets boring day to day IMO

Despite all of Chicago's problems I can say one good thing about it for every one negative thing. Chicago's a very balanced place, its a tale of two worlds collided in one metro and with all things into considerations I would choose it over many North American cities including Philly

Last edited by Slyman11; 10-17-2011 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I mistyped, Chicago didn't lose 200K in the last decade it lost 201K. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Sonny . Chicago before 2,896,616 and Chicago now 2,695,597

1. Wal-Mart is coming to Chicago? This makes you happy? When Walmart invades any neighborhood the neighborhood becomes undesirable

2. Chicago averages 58" of snow each winter with the cold fronts from the lake and the occasional wind chills. You call that a good winter? Chicago gets so cold that if you trip while walking it will tear half your face off.

3. Chicago Bulls were relevant in the '90s under Jordan. Will get stomped by Miami every season like they did 2010/2011. Miami is my team but I respect the Bulls

4. Chicago crime is sick, thirteen year old children brutally beating their parents to death for an hour. Five year olds being shot down by gang members while playing in their neighborhoods... gross

5. Chicago is flat, its boring to drive in. Don't misunderstand me, nothing wrong with being flat but it gets boring day to day IMO

Despite all of Chicago's problems I can say one good thing about it for every one negative thing. Chicago's a very balanced place, its a tale of two worlds collided in one metro and with all things into considerations I would choose it over many North American cities including Philly
Walmart is going to poor hoods. IT will not bring them down anymore then what they are.

Chicago does not get 58 inches of snow on average.
More like 38

Chicago will beat Miami.

That happens everywhere. Sick crime

There's plenty of buildings(Residential included, not just skyscrapers) to look at, lake Michigan, forest preserves.
I like this better then a brown desert city with no green and boring buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City