Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:16 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Charleston, SC; Wilmington NC and Savannah, GA for their ages, coastal locations and Southern culture.
....but Norfolk/VA Beach are nothing at all like Charleston, Wilmington or Savannah. Even Old Towne Portsmouth is more similar to Annapolis or Alexandria than it is to Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 02:25 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
No offense, but I have never heard of Norfolk before, I even had to google what state it was in. I'm familiar with Virginia Beach. I'm sure it's a under rated city, but no way it is in the same league as birmingham, Memphis or especially Nashville or New Orleans.

In fact, I'm sure more people have heard of my home city of Boise Idaho, or even Ft Worth TX which is the second city in the DFW metroplex.

Given the apparent cultural relevance of Norfolk outside of the mid Atlantic, it is probably on par with corpus christi tx.
You had to google Norfolk to find what state it's in?! Just wow! And you're from BOISE, IDAHO! I never cease to be amazed.
Why did you even reply to the original posting?!

Old 11-28-2016, 05:04 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Except people have heard of Charleston and Savannah.
People have heard of the Hampton Roads area.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:35 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
No offense, but I have never heard of Norfolk before, I even had to google what state it was in. I'm familiar with Virginia Beach. I'm sure it's a under rated city, but no way it is in the same league as birmingham, Memphis or especially Nashville or New Orleans.

In fact, I'm sure more people have heard of my home city of Boise Idaho, or even Ft Worth TX which is the second city in the DFW metroplex.

Given the apparent cultural relevance of Norfolk outside of the mid Atlantic, it is probably on par with corpus christi tx.
So let me get this right: you never heard of Norfolk until a day or so ago, and you feel qualified to say affirmatively what cities it is on par with? How exactly does that work?

Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 AM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times
Just learning about American/Southern history alone people should have at least "heard" of Norfolk, that comment sounds a little trollish to me

Old 11-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,648 times
Norfolk VA is a tough one because it is part of the VB urban area, which is underrated due to being multi-nodal.

I'd consider Jacksonville FL a peer. If you wanted a northern city, Providence RI.

Last edited by g500; 11-28-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 09:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Just learning about American/Southern history alone people should have at least "heard" of Norfolk, that comment sounds a little trollish to me
Agreed. Sure Norfolk flies under the radar, but for someone I presume to be a native-born American citizen to have never even heard of it before (while being familiar with VA Beach) seems exceptionally odd.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times
Very odd, that person seems to have something against Norfolk lol

Old 11-28-2016, 09:36 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
You had to google Norfolk to find what state it's in?! Just wow! And you're from BOISE, IDAHO! I never cease to be amazed.
Why did you even reply to the original posting?!
I'm sorry, but I've been to VA beach and never heard of Norfolk. I bet most people in the US haven't. I'm not the one going around saying Boise is Nationalty known or anything, but I'm sure more people have heard of it than Norfolk. I'm sure if I went around Dallas, where I live now and asked random people what state Boise was in they would say Idaho and make a potato joke. I doubt anyone who is non military and doesn't have family from the area would be able to place Norfolk with any certainty.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:41 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Very odd, that person seems to have something against Norfolk lol
I have nothing against the place, it just isn't really well known/ isn't significant in American pop culture. People saying it's somehow on par with Nashville are kidding themselves. That's like me saying Boise is on par with charston because it is bigger. Stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City