Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:27 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
To kind of change the subject, is the Hampton Roads area worth a trip for a family of 4, with 2 teenagers (17 and 15), as a change of pace. We live in Columbia SC, and have been everywhere around the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida , and are looking for something different. I've never been there, how different is the beach compared to our beaches? Do people go to Norfolk and Virginia Beach, when going to the beach, or just VB? We like family things, and the wife and I like to party a little bit. Would it be worth the extra drive? Thanks.
Williamsburg and Virginia Beach are the main tourist draws. While not a bad Siri, by any means, Norfolk isn't much of a tourist destination. I think the area is still worth a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
To kind of change the subject, is the Hampton Roads area worth a trip for a family of 4, with 2 teenagers (17 and 15), as a change of pace. We live in Columbia SC, and have been everywhere around the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida , and are looking for something different. I've never been there, how different is the beach compared to our beaches? Do people go to Norfolk and Virginia Beach, when going to the beach, or just VB? We like family things, and the wife and I like to party a little bit. Would it be worth the extra drive? Thanks.
Honestly, if you've already been to Charleston, Myrtle, Savannah, Beaufort, and coastal Florida, I don't think there's much about Hampton Roads that would 'wow' you. A real change of pace/scenery from the aforementioned locations would be New Orleans, coastal California, or coastal New England.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This had been some entertaining commentary lol...

People throwing in Nashville and New Orleans. While they may have advantages over Norfolk and may even be higher on the totem pole, it's not like either one is a true "major city" and the leap between those cities and Norfolk is, at best, likely only one tier...
Both are the undisputed cities in their metro, both have the largest Airports in their respective states and are at least culturally more realivant than the entire Hampton roads metro. Both also have more than one sports team. Both are cultural destinations for music.

It might be unfair that Norfolk isn't better known, but I think the above differences put NOLA and Nashville solidly a tier and half over Norfolk at the very least.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 PM

[quote=biscuit_head;46345806]If you haven't been there, then how in the world would you even know? While I agree that it's peer is not Nashville, Norfolk is more well known than Boise, especially from people on the East Coast. Ignorance of geography is no excuse, sorry.
.[quote]

This isn't about Boise, but it is a state capital, so most kids probably memorized it in grade school. Boise State has also put the city on the map with the blue field and all. I've met very few people who don't know Boise is in Idaho.

I doubt most people in California or Texas know where Norfork is unless they have a connection. I know about Richmond, and where it is from grade school geography. I do vaguely remember Norfork from American history, but the modern city? Nope. I doubt most people from the east coast know the second biggest city in most western states is, or even if they could name it, know much about it.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:09 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
[quote=Treasurevalley92;46350853][quote=biscuit_head;46345806]If you haven't been there, then how in the world would you even know? While I agree that it's peer is not Nashville, Norfolk is more well known than Boise, especially from people on the East Coast. Ignorance of geography is no excuse, sorry.
Quote:

This isn't about Boise, but it is a state capital, so most kids probably memorized it in grade school. Boise State has also put the city on the map with the blue field and all. I've met very few people who don't know Boise is in Idaho.

I doubt most people in California or Texas know where Norfork is unless they have a connection. I know about Richmond, and where it is from grade school geography. I do vaguely remember Norfork from American history, but the modern city? Nope. I doubt most people from the east coast know the second biggest city in most western states is, or even if they could name it, know much about it.
OMG please make it stop.....

Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

It's spelled Norfolk. And you don't speak for others.

Also, I grew up in a city with a heavy military presence on the West Coast (San Diego), so I knew about Norfolk due to the fact that many people either were stationed in Norfolk at one time or were heading there, since the Pacific Fleet for the US Navy is based out of San Diego while the Atlantic Fleet is based out of Norfolk. While I can't speak for 36 Million people in California, quite a few knew of Norfolk/Hampton Roads due to the military.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
It's spelled Norfolk. And you don't speak for others.

Also, I grew up in a city with a heavy military presence on the West Coast (San Diego), so I knew about Norfolk due to the fact that many people either were stationed in Norfolk at one time or were heading there, since the Pacific Fleet for the US Navy is based out of San Diego while the Atlantic Fleet is based out of Norfolk. While I can't speak for 36 Million people in California, quite a few knew of Norfolk/Hampton Roads due to the military.
My mistake on the spelling.

I'm sure that is true in San Diego. I doubt most people see it as more than a navy base/ historic city near Virginia Beach. It isn't NOLA, Memphis, or Nashville, and that is my point.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:13 AM

I asked my roomate who is from Virginia about Norfolk. He said "Yeah, it's a cool historic city near Virginia Beach, the navy has a big presence there." He then started talking about how nice Virginia Beach was and how he would move to the area if he could afford it. I asked him, if it was on par with NOLA? "No, I mean it's a nice place and I would rather live there than NOLA, but as a city they arnt really even close." Nashville? "Haha no."

He was a little surprised I hadn't heard of it. "It's a pretty important to the Navy, it's important the same way Colorado Springs is"

Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
My mistake on the spelling.

I'm sure that is true in San Diego. I doubt most people see it as more than a navy base/ historic city near Virginia Beach. It isn't NOLA, Memphis, or Nashville, and that is my point.

Neither of those location have:

1. The largest naval base on the planet.

2. One of 10 Class 1 railroad.

3. The 5th busiest shipping port in the nation.

4. Home to the NATO Allied Command.

It is more than just some historic city near Virginia Beach. It is the hub of the entire region. I would venture to say that Norfolk importance to the nation is on a much higher tier than NOLA, Memphis, or Nashville.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Neither of those location have:

1. The largest naval base on the planet.

2. One of 10 Class 1 railroad.

3. The 5th busiest shipping port in the nation.

4. Home to the NATO Allied Command.

It is more than just some historic city near Virginia Beach. It is the hub of the entire region. I would venture to say that Norfolk importance to the nation is on a much higher tier than NOLA, Memphis, or Nashville.
In terms of name recognition and cachet, he has a point. Plus Nashville, NOLA, and Memphis are the primary cities of their metro areas and aren't as economically one-dimensional as Norfolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City