Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:05 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks3 View Post
The "fake nice" of the south is well documented here and on other sites.
Perhaps, but it's worth noting that the culture of Atlanta is different than the rest of the South as a whole. It's not a 1:1 comparison. In reality, Atlanta probably has more in common with LA than it would say some small town in Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What others call "fake nice," I call common courtesy. It's all a matter of perception I suppose.
Fake or not, I like outward politeness. Japanese culture is the same way. They'll smile, bow, and be polite to your face but can talk behind your back. My boss when I was stationed there is from New York, and he hated how the Japanese would never say to his face what he could sense they were feeling towards him.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:59 PM

785 posts, read 953,703 times
Hmm I've lived in Atlanta for a while and been to LA. Both are friendly in different respects.

Being in the south I've experienced the fake nice thing, but only really experienced that in Texas tbh.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
That "fake nice" thing is such a misconception, and it's not even the majority.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:48 PM

508 posts, read 503,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
That "fake nice" thing is such a misconception, and it's not even the majority.
You could say the same thing about any location and how they act.

How many times I've heard: "New Yorkers are actually really friendly! I don't get it?"

Rinse repeat.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 PM

237 posts, read 179,517 times
Yup.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Fake or not, I like outward politeness. Japanese culture is the same way. They'll smile, bow, and be polite to your face but can talk behind your back. My boss when I was stationed there is from New York, and he hated how the Japanese would never say to his face what he could sense they were feeling towards him.
Thats not friendly then..

People dont have to be nice to your face and trash you later.

Its a jerk thing to do.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 PM

114 posts, read 134,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks3 View Post
Thats not friendly then..

People dont have to be nice to your face and trash you later.

Its a jerk thing to do.
Agreed.

But you can't deny that California has plenty of fake-nice people too. I don't know about LA but I've met some people from Orange County, and I found their friendliness very over-the-top.... They were extremely easy to talk to and nice, but I walked away thinking I still had no idea who the person really is. Some LA people I met were like that too. Though, I've also met some unfriendly people from LA as well.

The South is also fake-nice, but it leans more to politeness, gentleness, keeping the peace. And to be honest, in ATL, I haven't heard too much gossip at all. I'd ask people what they think of so-and-so, and generally, they keep it positive. Maybe it was the people I was around...maybe not.

Last edited by jkobb510; 10-18-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 PM

508 posts, read 503,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
Agreed.

But you can't deny that California has plenty of fake-nice people too. I don't know about LA but I've met some people from Orange County, and I found their friendliness very over-the-top.... They were extremely easy to talk to and nice, but I walked away thinking I still had no idea who the person really is. Some LA people I met were like that too. Though, I've also met some unfriendly people from LA as well.

The South is also fake-nice, but it leans more to politeness, gentleness, keeping the peace. And to be honest, in ATL, I haven't heard too much gossip at all. I'd ask people what they think of so-and-so, and generally, they keep it positive. Maybe it was the people I was around...maybe not.

Honsetly. The smaller the population the friendlier the people. Your around so many people in LA that it will always be hard to pin down how people are.

I think people project a lot of their insecurities. Everybody is a lotus flower of compassion and understanding. It's like being a racist, nobody think they are one.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
Agreed.

Well yea, its everywhere. But in some places, its worse than others.
You wont see as much in dc, nyc, chicago.

Frim my understanding, its just more common in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City