Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:29 AM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Wow, this seems pretty harsh. I've only been to the old airport once, but am anxious to visit my buddy and his wife, who live in Littleton, and explore the city. Denver seems very interesting, has invested heavily in public transit and has a lot of TOD downtown near Union station. There seems like a lot of neat areas in Capitol Hill and in the warehouse district, downtown, and along the 16th street (?) mall. I know the population is pretty diverse racially and ethnically for a city isolated up in the Rockies. They had an African American mayor back in the 90s IIRC... I can't wait to visit.
The current mayor is black and before Wellington Webb(the mayor you are referring to) was the mayor, the previous mayor was of Mexican descent. Since 1983, besides the Hickenlooper years(2003-2011), Denver's mayor has been either black or Hispanic/Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I never heard about low wages associated with Sunbelt, I guess the whole "Right to Work" things isn't all that it's cracked up to be. And, I never heard about the whole sprawl thing either. Why do people feel that sprawl is a negative thing? I think people only talk about the hot weather when it comes to summer because it's more hotter there outside of the West Coast. Where do you think the hype for the Sunbelt came from?
This is complicated, but my feeling is:

1. More traffic, longer distances
2. Less transit options, absolute need for car/personal vehicle (expensive, dangerous, etc.)
3. Less character - Certainly in terms human-scaled life. Quality walkability without cars zooming by, exhaust, noise.
4. Life amenities are further distances locally - Less commonly able to walk to stores, have to get in a car for most things
5. Spreads human life out more, creating less collaborative community life and human interactions. Not always, but it does detract from common public interactions (not just the neighbor next to you/across the street). Hurtful to the concept of feeling alive, connected.

Zoning usually drives exclusive activities like living vs working vs shopping. Huge areas that are just residential creates sleeper neighborhoods and makes them singularly functional. It segregates lifestyle functions and makes everything less interesting and more difficult IMO.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Most likely the hype comes from explosive population stats over the last 100 years. I'm surprised you haven't heard these other stereotypes they are quite well noted on here. You are very quick to point out and defend the stereotypes and misconceptions about your own city. It would seem fair to recognize misconceptions in other places as well.
That's why I've been asking about the Sunbelt stereotypes and why people feel that way. But, the misconceptions and stereotypes are more pointed out more in Rust Belt cities as oppose to Sunbelt and Coastal cities at least theirs get glossed over a little bit more. Maybe I'm being subjective here.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I never heard about low wages associated with Sunbelt, I guess the whole "Right to Work" things isn't all that it's cracked up to be. And, I never heard about the whole sprawl thing either. Why do people feel that sprawl is a negative thing? I think people only talk about the hot weather when it comes to summer because it's more hotter there outside of the West Coast. Where do you think the hype for the Sunbelt came from?
You seem to be new to all of this if you've never heard of these criticisms.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You seem to be new to all of this if you've never heard of these criticisms.
I've heard more of the praises than the criticisms, so yeah I must new to the Sunbelt criticisms.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Just because the Sunbelt is criticized for such things, it doesn't mean they are true. Incomes aren't low in Austin, DFW, Houston, Seattle, and the Bay Area (and I assume many others) and may be even considered high after factoring in the cost of living.

Sorry but what are the good praises that you've heard about the Sunbelt? The only praise I hear, especially on CD but including elsewhere, is that the area is growing quickly, but that isn't always mean't as a good thing, both by people in the Sunbelt and people outside of it. Some people say everything is newer, in a good way, but there are just as many who say infrastructure is lackluster, especially when it comes to transportation or the visual appeal of housing. Same with weather; if you look at the current thread between Chicago Winters and Dallas Summers (neither of which are the worst in their regions), people seem evenly split, leaning towards preferring the weather in Chicago.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
It was commented on another thread that four cities get a particularly negative reaction on City Data: Detroit, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, and Phoenix. These always lose in polls when compared to other cities.

These are viewed on City Data as among the least urban cities in the country.

Other cities that are viewed as sprawly, and not particularly urban: Atlanta, Houston, Dallas. So their reputation is less than stellar on City Data.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Just because the Sunbelt is criticized for such things, it doesn't mean they are true. Incomes aren't low in Austin, DFW, Houston, Seattle, and the Bay Area (and I assume many others) and may be even considered high after factoring in the cost of living.

Sorry but what are the good praises that you've heard about the Sunbelt? The only praise I hear, especially on CD but including elsewhere, is that the area is growing quickly, but that isn't always mean't as a good thing, both by people in the Sunbelt and people outside of it. Some people say everything is newer, in a good way, but there are just as many who say infrastructure is lackluster, especially when it comes to transportation or the visual appeal of housing. Same with weather; if you look at the current thread between Chicago Winters and Dallas Summers (neither of which are the worst in their regions), people seem evenly split, leaning towards preferring the weather in Chicago.
Well, Seattle and SF aren't sun belt cities. I have never heard that incomes are high after factoring in their COL either. For true sunbelt cities (e.g. Austin, DFW, Houston), I do agree.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
It was commented on another thread that four cities get a particularly negative reaction on City Data: Detroit, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, and Phoenix. These always lose in polls when compared to other cities.

These are viewed on City Data as among the least urban cities in the country.

Other cities that are viewed as sprawly, and not particularly urban: Atlanta, Houston, Dallas. So their reputation is less than stellar on City Data.
Makes sense since there are a lot of urban geeks on here (including myself). I wouldn't even have an account if it was suburban-data.com.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:40 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Well, Seattle and SF aren't sun belt cities. I have never heard that incomes are high after factoring in their COL either. For true sunbelt cities (e.g. Austin, DFW, Houston), I do agree.
Okay, not Seattle, but the Bay Area is part of the Sunbelt. For the part of cost of living, I was speaking mostly about the three I named in Texas. I cannot tell completely if you mean you agree with what I said about those three and incomes or if you agree with the poster I quoted saying they have low incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City