Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ghetto would you live in?
Los Angeles 106 20.66%
Oakland 37 7.21%
Houston 43 8.38%
Chicago 51 9.94%
Atlanta 35 6.82%
Miami 46 8.97%
Philadelphia 48 9.36%
Cleveland 12 2.34%
Baltimore 23 4.48%
Washington, D.C. 30 5.85%
NYC 140 27.29%
Buffalo 36 7.02%
Detroit 21 4.09%
St. Louis 14 2.73%
New Orleans 30 5.85%
El Paso 42 8.19%
Other-(Must be bad. Not like Seattle or Portland or similar.) 46 8.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I'm not debating this, but that 25 most dangerous neighborhoods thing is proven to be complete crap, much like most other "best/worst/most/least" lists that get published.
Well, the thing is that it's misleading because it claims to publish it by neighborhood when in reality it does it by census tract (though occasionally it makes a "neighborhood" out of two census tracts). So Harlem overall isn't on the list, but rather the census tract by St. Nicholas Avenue/125th Street.

And even then, that part of Harlem has a lot of people passing through, but they aren't counted (it has a subway station, and robberies within the subway station might be counted as being in the census tract), so the actual per capita crime rate is probably lower, because the demoninator (the number of people who are at risk for being a crime victim) is higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^How much time did this take you?
Around 15-20 minutes to type up the post and 60 minutes to read the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you can tough it out in one of Miami's "ghettos", it's likely to turn into a hip neighborhood in the future. Just in the last ten years, some of Miami's worst areas have turned into rather trendy/hipster/artsy neighborhoods.
The problem is that if you rent, you might get priced out when it becomes "hip".

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
The only reason most NY ghettos are so "safe" today is because there is literally an army of police in every hood in NY. I remember staying in a hotel in Brooklyn off Atlantic Ave and hearing police sirens every five minutes all night long. Corners outside of bodegas were still crowded with loitering young men acting wild and unpredictable. If all those police weren't there, these areas would be just as wild as they were in the 90's. Also, the NYPD has successfully locked up many of the bad apples in the Big Apple. It is surprising how completely dead the streets of NYC can be in many places during a weekday night nowadays.
Where on Atlantic Avenue were you? Were you at the hotel by Atlantic Avenue near the East NY LIRR station, or one closer to Downtown Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,414 times
Quote:
Where on Atlantic Avenue were you? Were you at the hotel by Atlantic Avenue near the East NY LIRR station, or one closer to Downtown Brooklyn?
The one wedged between Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights near Brownsville close to Utica Ave. I walked that whole Fulton Strip at night past Marcy PJ's and all the other intersections rappers talk about (i.e. Fulton & St. James- Biggie, Franklin Ave- Black Moon). Though Bed-Stuy is supposedly gentrified, it still didn't feel all that safe. Everyone was giving me that copyrighted Brooklyn ice grill. Police occupied that area like it was a village in Vietnam. It had cop cars like Manhattan has taxis.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-08-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Eh, I don't know about that. That North Ave. neighborhood in Baltimore NEEDS to be up there. It doesn't feel safe driving through there on a monday morning in January in 16 degree windchill. You make the wrong turn there even during working hours early in the morning in the dead of winter, the whole hood will be staring in your car and moving towards your vehicle pretty quick. Pretty much every Baltimore neighborhood they mentioned needs to be on that list. Take it from someone who lives in Maryland.
Some of the picks are kinda skewed. They chose 40th and federal in Chicago as one of the most dangerous areas in America but that particular spot is no where near the magnitude of what it was 20-15 years ago. Even 10 years ago.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Some of the picks are kinda skewed. They chose 40th and federal in Chicago as one of the most dangerous areas in America but that particular spot is no where near the magnitude of what it was 20-15 years ago. Even 10 years ago.
I was just speaking for the Baltimore hoods listed. It does seem kinda funny that not a single California neighborhood was listed although three California cities always make the top ten most dangerous cities list every year (Compton, Oakland and Richmond). Stockton also makes the list sometimes as well. Last year, Oakland rated as number 3, Richmond at number 6 and Stockton at number 7. On most top ten lists, only one East Coast city consistently makes the list and thats Camden, NJ. However, Baltimore is the second most dangerous American city with a population over 500K, hands down.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Eh, I don't know about that. That North Ave. neighborhood in Baltimore NEEDS to be up there. It doesn't feel safe driving through there on a monday morning in January in 16 degree windchill. You make the wrong turn there even during working hours early in the morning in the dead of winter, the whole hood will be staring in your car and moving towards your vehicle pretty quick. Pretty much every Baltimore neighborhood they mentioned needs to be on that list. Take it from someone who lives in Maryland.
Take it from someone who was born and raised in Baltimore City that you are exaggerating. "Moving towards your vehicle pretty quick."

Last edited by KodeBlue; 01-08-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
sorry to bring up an old topic but not one of these pictures was taken in los angeles. all this is is googled pics of ms-13 etc. seriously, the fact that people actually thought that this is la is beyond me. almost every city listed there has a much higher murder rate than la. i think it's more like people in la aren't as hard, tough and scary as they think they are. southside chicago would eat south la alive. north philly would eat south la alive. ne dc would eat south la alive. friggin boston has a higher crime rate than la now.

i'd love to see a crip try walking through the projects on the south side of chicago and act all hard.
Awesome, rating the toughness of L.A. ghettos based on the city's overall crime rate. How about we apply this monstrously poor logic on America's Sweeheart, NYC?

NYC has a very low crime rate, therefore its ghettos are among the wimpiest in America. Brownsville and Harlem are soft as Charmin. Your post doesn't seem very smart now, does it?

Please tell me you think a Chicago south sider can walk around Watts acting hard. Please! Lol

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 01-09-2012 at 01:34 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
All Baltimore neighborhoods? Even Fells Point, Little Italy and Federal Hill?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
El Paso is the safest city by far on that list so I'd go with that even though I've never been there. EP is actually one of the safest large cities in America but most people seem to dismiss is as being ghetto and dangerous for some reason, seems to be a little dumpy but doesn't mean it's dangerous.
maybe because its next to the most dangerous city on earth ciudad juarez

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
El Paso is the safest city by far on that list so I'd go with that even though I've never been there. EP is actually one of the safest large cities in America but most people seem to dismiss is as being ghetto and dangerous for some reason, seems to be a little dumpy but doesn't mean it's dangerous.
maybe because its next to the most dangerous ciudad juarez

Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
probably a ghetto in the northwest states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City