Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 05:29 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
As an older, former NYer and a former Brooklynite at that, I can attest that from the 1950's to maybe the 2000s, Hempstead and Roosevelt was predominately black until many Central Americans from El Salvador came en masse. I haven't heard of any real tension between the two groups like I've heard of the tension between blacks and Mexicans in Southern CA.

And trust me on this one, as an older black NYer, I'd look intensely at a Mexican, a Salvadoran, or even a Chinese who says the n-word towards me than a Puerto Rican, a Dominican, or maybe even a Cuban and I just don't see how you can automatically make me respect anybody who dresses in hip-hop gear and talks some slang as an equal, especially if he's using the n-word.

I don't expect every Mexican to wear a sombrero and speaking of which, the only men who'll wear the big Mexican sombrero are mariachis. Besides, Mexico has a broad range of different cultures, and the cowboy culture is really one of the few that I like and respect. The other cultures, not so much.

That' only wishful thinking. I can see a Mexican descent governor in CA or TX before the Mexican population in NYC surpasses the Puerto Rican and the Dominican population in NY, NJ, CT, PA, RI, and MA. And if President Trump gets elected this year, and it seems more likely as Biden can't string two sentences together and constantly needs a handler, that plan looks to be derailed, and it's going to be PR and DR (and maybe Cuba if that country decides to change it's political atmosphere) all day everyday on the East Coast.

And last time I checked, Spanish is the official language of PR so unless the residents of PR want to become a state (which won't happen, especially under this president), it won't happen!

Caribbean Hispanics in NY make up at least over half of the total Latino population and Caribbean Hispanics set the tone in Latino New York the way Mexicans from CA to TX set the tone for the Latino community over there.

You're judging the NYC Latino culture by the number of taco trucks in the city??? I'm pretty sure that half of those taco trucks will disappear once Trump gets re-elected, and in Corona, which is the hardest hit community in NYC for the COVID-19, a lot of undocumented are dropping like flies, it's not even funny. I do see a reverse migration of Mexicans and Central Americans because it's just not worth coming to America nowadays, especially if you're undocumented and don't have any plans in improving your immigration status!

One question, Foamposite, but what is your ethnicity??? I ask this because every post I see has always been about the Mexican population is going to replace the Puerto Rican and Dominican population and the Mexicans are going to take over NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, PA, and DE. It gets very annoying to hear that an ethnicity that wasn't even a blip in NYC for over 20 years ago now all of a sudden gets to be the most influential Latino group in NY. Until I see every Latino group sing a corrido by Lucero (I actually like her, admittedly) or whoever, PR's and DR's are still going to be a major influential group in NY.

Even in NY, there's subcultures. Puerto Ricans have East Harlem, the South Bronx, and parts of Bushwick, Dominicans have Washington Heights, West Bronx, Yonkers, and Cypress Hills, Colombians have Jackson Heights and College Point, Ecuadorians have Corona, and Mexicans are pretty much dispersed wherever, but they're mainly in Sunset Park and Port Richmond. Salvadorans are mainly in Long Island.

I feel that the Latino population over there is beginning to be more Central American than Mexican nowadays, albeit Mexicans are still the dominant group in the Bay Area. It's especially true in SF, the Mission district isn't even the same and I should know, I used to work in SF. It seems the Mexicans are moving farther away from SF and Oakland and into the interior while many Central Americans are moving to the cities, not saying it's all true but there seems to be a pattern.
Literally all the NYC neighborhoods you mentioned have tons of Mexicans except for maybe College Point. I hang out in Bushwick all the time and it is VERY Mexican, I actually more Mexicans than Puerto Ricans. The West and South Bronx have a large, quickly growing Mexican population too.

The taco trucks aren't going anywhere, NYC's covid levels are under control. Also, we're 3 years into Trump and it really hasn't changed anything in terms of demographics.

And as for music, reggaeton is already the most popular genre of music in Mexico, so the lack of non-reggaeton Latin music in NY doesn't mean anything.

Also I never said you should respect anything, I was just telling you how things are nowadays.

My ethnicity is white + Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 07:45 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's just for political reasons, it's not because they're unassimilated
A lot of people I know in Queens are Mexican. The Bronx has a few Mexican communities, one of my friends in college was from the South Bronx and said most of her very large family moved there in the past 5 years. Its definietly growing fast, but we won't know how fast Puerto Ricans grew in 2018-2019 from Maria/economy (Although FL took most in). NYCs Mexican population is still extremely underrated.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:12 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
I don't know the specifics of Miami, I just know that the musicians who came out of there are clearly assimilated to either white or black American culture.

But this forum is filled with boomers who think lots of Hispanics = automatically unassimilated, that's why I take the claims of Miami being non American with a grain of salt.
You say you take the claims of Miami on CD with a grain of salt but claim you don’t know the specifics of Miami. All you know is the few musicians which I guess in your mind is supposed to represent the majority of Latin folk in Miami.

I really don’t understand this narrative of erasing Hispanics culture and boxing them into either Black or White.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:39 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You say you take the claims of Miami on CD with a grain of salt but claim you don’t know the specifics of Miami. All you know is the few musicians which I guess in your mind is supposed to represent the majority of Latin folk in Miami.

I really don’t understand this narrative of erasing Hispanics culture and boxing them into either Black or White.
Or literally knowing NOTHING about Mexico but parading around as an expert.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Or literally knowing NOTHING about Mexico but parading around as an expert.
I proved you wrong about the music thing. Your knowledge of Mexico is probably outdated.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
A lot of people I know in Queens are Mexican. The Bronx has a few Mexican communities, one of my friends in college was from the South Bronx and said most of her very large family moved there in the past 5 years. Its definietly growing fast, but we won't know how fast Puerto Ricans grew in 2018-2019 from Maria/economy (Although FL took most in). NYCs Mexican population is still extremely underrated.
The Mexican population in The Bronx is pretty much everywhere now, Mexican delis are popping up even in Wakefield. Supposed "Little Italy" (Belmont) is actually a Little Mexico in terms of who lives there.

But I agree. People take immigration statistics too seriously. I 100% doubt that the population only increased by 5000 last decade. And besides, there are enough US born ones who are having many kids already.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I am intentionally ignoring immigrants because the OP's premise is about US born people.

I do find that Hispanics born in the US or came here at a young enough age do assimilate into either black American or white American culture. Maybe up to the 00s there was a distinct Chicano culture (like you see in say, training day) but that's not a thing anymore. That's likely due to the internet/social media, it has led to more and more cultural homogenization.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:24 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
very true.
NJ's mexican population has exploded as well especially in the Shore region and Central Jersey.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:16 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
A lot of PR’s came to NY too after Maria, but they were spread throughout the state.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:07 PM

837 posts, read 853,049 times
Quote:
I know a lot of Mexican New Yorkers and they are having a lot of kids already. They are clearly increasing in population, spend enough time in any of the 5 boroughs and you'll see.
Even if Mexican Americans in NYC are having so many kids isn't going to automatically grant them any form of amnesty, and if Trump gets re-elected, a couple could have ten kids, once the breadwinner is deported back home, he has an option of bringing the kids or looking for a relative to take care of them, and it's usually the former.

The COVID-19 outbreak isn't helping a lot of Mexicans in NYC neither, who have to rely on restaurant jobs, laborer jobs in construction, landscaping, and smaller businesses such as take out restaurants and markets which sell Mexican goods to their countrymen. Mexicans in NYC are very reliant on those jobs way more than the typical Puerto Rican and Dominican, and since NYers aren't eating out was much as they used to and the Mexicans stores only serve a limited market unlike the Arab and Dominican bodegas, I can foresee many Mexicans leaving NYC because it's just not worth living in a city where they can't make any money to send back home to their families and there are a few articles that support this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/u...-mexicans.html

https://citylimits.org/2019/11/25/fe...k-studies-say/

https://nypost.com/2015/11/19/more-m...-are-entering/

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...n-rural-mexico

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mexican...ses-1447954334

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-photos-226657

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...hildren/35400/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City