Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 09:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Even if Mexican Americans in NYC are having so many kids isn't going to automatically grant them any form of amnesty, and if Trump gets re-elected, a couple could have ten kids, once the breadwinner is deported back home, he has an option of bringing the kids or looking for a relative to take care of them, and it's usually the former.

The COVID-19 outbreak isn't helping a lot of Mexicans in NYC neither, who have to rely on restaurant jobs, laborer jobs in construction, landscaping, and smaller businesses such as take out restaurants and markets which sell Mexican goods to their countrymen. Mexicans in NYC are very reliant on those jobs way more than the typical Puerto Rican and Dominican, and since NYers aren't eating out was much as they used to and the Mexicans stores only serve a limited market unlike the Arab and Dominican bodegas, I can foresee many Mexicans leaving NYC because it's just not worth living in a city where they can't make any money to send back home to their families and there are a few articles that support this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/u...-mexicans.html

https://citylimits.org/2019/11/25/fe...k-studies-say/

https://nypost.com/2015/11/19/more-m...-are-entering/

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...n-rural-mexico

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mexican...ses-1447954334

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-photos-226657

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...hildren/35400/
True about the lockdown reducing the number of service jobs. However, I really don't the Mexican population declining here, NYC is doing well numbers wise and bars and restaurants will likely be open by the end of the year.

The Mexican delis are functionally very similar to the Dominican ones, except they serve Mexican food which is more popular than Dominican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 12:03 AM

837 posts, read 854,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
True about the lockdown reducing the number of service jobs. However, I really don't the Mexican population declining here, NYC is doing well numbers wise and bars and restaurants will likely be open by the end of the year.

The Mexican delis are functionally very similar to the Dominican ones, except they serve Mexican food which is more popular than Dominican food.
First of all, you didn't answer my prior question of what ethnicity you was Foamposite.

Maybe Mexican food is more popular where Mexicans predominate such as from CA to TX and in Chicago, as Mexicans do make up 60% of the Latino population so it's no surprise, but that's as far as it goes. You'd be surprised how many Dominican bodegas are in NYC alone, let alone the East Coast. Some bodegas outside of the Latino areas serve their own food and I do see outsiders buying them from all walks of life and this is in Philadelphia.

Other Dominican bodegas just sell general stuff like cigars, milk, chips, and juice and they make good business here. I haven't really seen a Mexican deli do the same and this is just casual observation plus many of the brands that the Mexican markets sell the local American market here are unfamiliar with such as Jarritos soda and Bimbo snacks. I haven't seen too many people outside of the Mexican community patronizing Mexican markets the way outsiders patronize Dominican bodegas, and it may help that Dominicans have been here since the 1960's.

Plus, I'm not sure NYC and much of the East Coast is going to function the same way after COVID-19. All Mexicans in the East Coast may not disappear en masse but the trickling already started around 2012, and that trickle became a constant flood once Trump got elected and it's going to happen again not because I want Trump to win but because Biden is proving to be unreliable, incoherent and incompetent as a candidate alone. I can't even remember what he did other than the 1994 Crime Bill.

Th southern border wall is getting built and I'm not so sure whether DACA will hold up. America does need immigration reform because I don't see how this country is going to survive without immigration but illegal immigration, albeit the US can't really eradicate it, can make new policies discouraging it by passing immigration reform as well as drafting policies which will greatly benefit the American worker.

The only factor right now is finding a vaccine for COVID-19. The longer it takes to find a cure I don't see how things can go back to what it was during the past twenty years. As for the Mexican community in NYC and the East Coast, It just wasn't meant to be and the only way I can see the Mexican community surviving is by either moving to the Southwest or just going back home, there's too many hungry families here and I don't see how the country can continue to be sustainable by allowing illegal immigration unchecked.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:09 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
"Mexican deli"? Never heard the phrase. And people dont go to Bodegas to get "food" they get empanadas, and maybe a sandwich. The other food the order generally isnt even Dominican.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:44 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
"Mexican deli"? Never heard the phrase. And people dont go to Bodegas to get "food" they get empanadas, and maybe a sandwich. The other food the order generally isnt even Dominican.
I never heard the usage of Mexican deli either. We have supermercados in Chicago, which is a small grocery store for Mexican food, in addition to often having a semi- Mexican restuarant inside. I do know one in the suburb Harvey with a deli inside, too.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:04 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I never heard the usage of Mexican deli either. We have supermercados in Chicago, which is a small grocery store for Mexican food, in addition to often having a semi- Mexican restuarant inside. I do know one in the suburb Harvey with a deli inside, too.
The term "Mexican Deli" is not a term Ive ever heard outside a restaurant in Houston. But they arent a deli, they serve tacos and tortas.

Ive spent a lot of time in various parts of Mexico and Ive never heard of "Mexican Deli" there. They do have delis, but they serve American food.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
right ive seen 'supermercados' in Baltimore and Hartford (not in the Boston area but im sure they exist in cities i dont frequent)..

Even still those are massively outnumbered by Dominican bodegas. (IN Boston Arab bodegas were pretty common).

Supermercados clientele is overwhelmingly Mexican/central american and when they do serve Mexican food it still usually only Mexicans. Theres this cool one sort of Supermercado/shopping center on Park Street in Hartford that has Latino groceries but also small eateries inside. Dominican Puerto Rican and Mexican all next to each other. The Mexican one is the only one with ample seating and a section to itself but I was always the only one eating there.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Sandwiches and empanadas aren't food?

But the places I was referring to are basically like Dominican bodegas except they sell Mexican antojitos (tacos, tortas, cemitas, etc.) rather than Dominican steamtable stuff.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:

But the places I was referring to are basically like Dominican bodegas except they sell Mexican antojitos (tacos, tortas, cemitas, etc.) rather than Dominican steamtable stuff.
No one in Mexico refers to that as a "deli".

Old 08-24-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
No one in Mexico refers to that as a "deli".
We were talking about New York.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:

thats to go food, almost snack food. I was talking sit down meals/soups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City