Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 12:08 AM

394 posts, read 598,021 times

Advertisements

Montreal has sexiness in spades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 12:21 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I am trolling because I countered someone's opinion about Seattle being sexy? Yeah, I lived there for the last 6 years and have the right to share my opinion. And, some people may think a bunch of nerdy techies, grungy chicks who dress like men or people who dress up in worn out thrift store clothes to fine dining establishments are sexy and more power to them.. As well, all the homeless people and junkies in Seattle seriously hamper the "sex appeal" to me. I just showed a picture of what I saw on a daily basis of living in Seattle. Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

I also have the right to believe that nature is not sexy. Nature to me is something different.. It is pure, beautiful, majestic, spiritual and has esoteric qualities. Sexiness is something a bit more carnal and worldly. It is a different type of appeal to me than nature. I also don't think the Space Needle is sexy at all. Maybe, a giant 20 ft statue of a young Pamela Anderson instead of the Vladmir Lenin statue they have I could consider sexy Of course, the architecture of SEattle leaves a lot to be desired. If we are literally talking sexy architecture than I would consider places like Rome, Paris and even some of the old architecture of Russia, Persia and Middle East to have a certain sex appeal. They were specially designed by artists who put their soul into the craftsmanship of the buildings. If I am going to consider architecture to be sexy, than a place like San Francisco or some old, well-kept East Coast cities would have much more sex appeal in architecture than that weird looking fake spaceship tower called the SPace Needle or any of Seattle's ugly, sterile corporate box business buildings or soulless condos or apartment complexes that now saturate the entire city. Living in Ballard, I saw some very beautiful homes being bulldozed and their "sexy gardens" being ripped apart to build ugly sterile condo 4 or 5-plexes that had their beautiful gardens replead with slabs of concrete. THat is not sexy at all.

You are the one trolling by making that personal attack, not me for sharing my personal opinion which in no way violates City Data rules as far as I am concerned..

It sounds like somebody got a little butt hurt that I didn't think his/her city is sexy enough
Seattle isn't my city at all. Please stop posting these research paper length comments. I'm not going to read all of it so you're wasting your time.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:51 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seattle isn't my city at all. Please stop posting these research paper length comments. I'm not going to read all of it so you're wasting your time.
Umm... I can post whatever I feel like and you have no obligation to read anything I write... My comments are hardly the longest of city data posters.. Have a sexy day

Old 02-26-2019, 10:59 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Miami and Vegas aren't sexy, they are trashy. NYC is sexy. LA can be.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Miami and Vegas aren't sexy, they are trashy. NYC is sexy. LA can be.
How is Miami trashy? I don't think Vegas is trasht, moreso that it's tacky.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
How is Miami trashy? I don't think Vegas is trasht, moreso that it's tacky.
I'll accept tacky too. Miami is certainly that as well.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
How is Miami trashy? I don't think Vegas is trashy, moreso that it's tacky.
I think what they mean is how South Beach can be pretty ratchet most of the time. Brickell is upscale, Wynwood is a small hipster area but SoBe is where the action is and it does get crazy. I'm not sure if it's the same now as it was a few years ago, but when I was living there I would often go there for work or with friends. You would see a lot of drug usage out in the open (I've seen people snort like its nothing) or public sex on the beach or alleyways, fights, twerking on car roofs, etc. Of course, it got worse during memorial weekend/Spring break as well. When I go back to Miami I remain in Brickell (my apartment is there) and Wynwood and I avoid SoBe like a plague but I think that's what they mean by trashy.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I think what they mean is how South Beach can be pretty ratchet most of the time. Brickell is upscale, Wynwood is a small hipster area but SoBe is where the action is and it does get crazy. I'm not sure if it's the same now as it was a few years ago, but when I was living there I would often go there for work or with friends. You would see a lot of drug usage out in the open (I've seen people snort like its nothing) or public sex on the beach or alleyways, fights, twerking on car roofs, etc. Of course, it got worse during memorial weekend/Spring break as well. When I go back to Miami I remain in Brickell (my apartment is there) and Wynwood and I avoid SoBe like a plague but I think that's what they mean by trashy.
Yes that's basically it. Though I have never lived there, I guess I might remember more of the ratchet stuff.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:16 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Depends—any area with tourists can get trashy and depends how much of a city you have been to and/or how much one gets out.

....hard to label all of Miami Beach as trashy--not when Fisher Island is the wealthiest zip code in the entire US and there is no shortage of dinero and wealth in South of Fifth, Millionaires Row, Star Island, Venetian Islands, Hibiscus Island, La Gorce Island, Bal Harbour, ad nauseum--and that's just Miami Beach, not the mainland.....shoot, the Gaslamp in SD is trashy; French Quarter in NOLA is trashy, Market Street in SF can be trashy; Venice in LA is trashy--again, small portions of a city that attracts tourists....most of us locals--or the ones who live here full time-- don't venture or spend much, if any, time on Ocean Drive or the stretch of Collins Ave near Lincoln Rd Mall or some of Washington Ave--talking about a small area of SoBe which is only a part of Miami Beach, in reality......Memorial Day weekend hosts of out towners for Urban Weekend which effects a small stretch of South Beach which is only one section of Miami Beach.....could be worse--the homeless population in Miami and the beach is tame (not even in the top 10), especially compared to out West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I think what they mean is how South Beach can be pretty ratchet most of the time. Places like Brickell are more upscale, Wynwood is a small hipster area but SoBe is where the action is and it does get crazy. I'm not sure if it's the same now as it was a few years ago, but when I was living there I would often go there for work or with friends. You would see a lot of drug usage out in the open (I've seen people snort like its nothing) or public sex on the beach or alleyways, fights, twerking on car roofs, etc. Of course, it got worse during memorial weekend/Spring break as well. When I go back to Miami I remain in Brickell (my apartment is there) and Wynwood and I avoid SoBe like a plague but I think that's what they mean by trashy.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-26-2019 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
any area with tourists can get trashy....hard to label all of Miami Beach as trashy--not when Fisher Island is the wealthiest zip code in the entire US and there is no shortage of dinero and wealth in South of Fifth, Millionaires Row, Star Island, Venetian Islands, Hibiscus Island, La Gorce Island, Bal Harbour, ad nauseum--and that's just Miami Beach, not the mainland.....shoot, the Gaslamp in SD is trashy; French Quarter in NOLA is trashy, Market Street in SF can be trashy; Venice in LA is trashy--again, small portions of a city that attracts tourists....most of us locals--or the ones who live here full time-- don't venture or spend much, if any, time on Ocean Drive or the stretch of Collins Ave near Lincoln Rd Mall--talking about a small area in reality......Memorial Day weekend hosts of out towners for Urban Weekend which effects a small stretch of South Beach which is only one section of Miami Beach.....could be worse--the homeless population in Miami and the beach is tame (not even in the top 10), especially compared to out West.
Hence why I said only SoBe and not all of Miami haha, cause SoBe is the only trashy place. And yes, Miami has a lot of rich areas, but the city also has nearly a 30% poverty rate, some neighbourhoods have average incomes of $7,000 which are one of the poorest in the country (Miami has both extremes and little in the middle). Not really sure why you brought up homelessness. Yes, homelessness is nothing like the West, but having 4K within the city, per capita is pretty damn high. I see all the homeless people in the CBD, tent cities exist there as well. No need to bring up rich neighbourhoods or homelessness when all we're talking about is why SoBe can be seen as trashy/ratchet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City