Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 02:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
It shouldn't necessarily be viewed as conservative vs liberal.

Also, the context is urban area, not metro. That said, not sure how this source defined "urban area."
I am not sure either. I see Denton, TX is listed. That’s part of the DFW msa. I will say it’s part of the DFW ua as well.

Last edited by Spade; 05-30-2019 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 02:45 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It's not. I see a few Bay Area, LA, and Chicago suburbs listed independently.
Dallas, Fort Worth, and the bulk of the suburbs are all included in the Metroplex urbanized area. You can see for yourself by using the map tool included in the article.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I'm having difficulty understanding this discussion.

Why are so many bringing in the terms "liberal" and "conservative" when this discussion is supposed to be about "Democrat" vs. "Republican"?

Democrat =/= Fiscal Liberal/Socially Progressive
Republican =/= Fiscal Conservative/Socially Conservative

I know some Democrats who are less LGBT-friendly than some Republicans. I know some Republicans who are pro-choice.

Can someone explain to me what we're supposed to be discussing here?

Is Pennsylvania just a unique state where we have a lot of socially conservative Democrats?

I'm not looking any more into the ranking than "more Democrats" vs. "more Republicans".

Old 05-30-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I am not sure either. I see Denton, TX is listed. That’s part of the DFW msa. I will Bey it’s part of the DFW ua as well.
No, it's separate and urbanized areas are defined and delineated by the Census Bureau. One MSA can contain more than one urbanized area. It largely depends on development patterns but in some cases, outlying areas (such as satellite cities) have become connected to a larger urban area over time but still have their own distinct urbanized area. The criteria for combining UAs is a bit funky to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Old 05-30-2019, 02:51 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more? I found Austin to be very progressive. If you're referring to demographics, I mean what can you do? Austin has a ton of liberal voters, yet is the whitest of the major cities. Austin is also the wealthiest per capita. Pretty interesting stuff.
Just google "Being Black in Austin". You get stuff like this:

https://medium.com/s/story/a-black-w...y-a2447c6049f3

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politic...-about-austin/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/o...n-bombing.html

https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...lack-in-austin

I didnt pick and choose. Those were literally the first articles that came up when I googled it.

Replace Austin with Houston and its much different.

Saying Austin is liberal is a true statement, but liberal means different things to different people. Austin has been happy to use gentrification on steroids. Its not bad on the surface, but it didnt push people of color out so white hipsters could move in.

So in conclusion, Austin is liberal but Id hardly call it racially progressive. Same goes for Portland.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Is Pennsylvania just a unique state where we have a lot of socially conservative Democrats?
White ones? Yes, probably more than most other states.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:16 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, it's separate and urbanized areas are defined and delineated by the Census Bureau. One MSA can contain more than one urbanized area. It largely depends on development patterns but in some cases, outlying areas (such as satellite cities) have become connected to a larger urban area over time but still have their own distinct urbanized area. The criteria for combining UAs is a bit funky to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas
I see. Even looking at that, they have The Woodlands and Houston separate. So I bet for Houston's percentage, Brazoria, Waller, and Galveston counties are the reason why Houston's percentage isn't lower.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:21 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Just google "Being Black in Austin". You get stuff like this:

https://medium.com/s/story/a-black-w...y-a2447c6049f3

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politic...-about-austin/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/o...n-bombing.html

https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...lack-in-austin

I didnt pick and choose. Those were literally the first articles that came up when I googled it.

Replace Austin with Houston and its much different.

Saying Austin is liberal is a true statement, but liberal means different things to different people. Austin has been happy to use gentrification on steroids. Its not bad on the surface, but it didnt push people of color out so white hipsters could move in.

So in conclusion, Austin is liberal but Id hardly call it racially progressive. Same goes for Portland.
So I've never been to Austin. But I literally have 0 interest in visiting. I'll probably end up going because everyone says I should. But something even about its vibe and attraction in the media has always rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's that when these "coolest cities" lists come out, they tend to be overwhelmingly white liberals moving there (Austin, Denver, Portland). That to me is extremely boring. Middle class white people who think they're unique is not a culture. Culture comes from people of all backgrounds lifting up a city and participating in its economy equally.

I'm not going to say I'm an expert on Austin Denver Portland, but from what I understand, they largely are attracting the above-mentioned middle class white people who think they're unique. That's an entirely different "liberal" than the kind that lives in a place like NYC Philly LA or even Houston. It's hard to actually explain the difference to someone who isn't firsthand aware of the differences, but I know the types of cities/vibes I'm attracted to are different than the types of cities/vibes that the suburban white kids who wanna liberal move to. The SF liberal is more along the lines of the Austin Denver Portland style now, and I couldn't wait to get out of SF. I always felt more at home with the liberal vibe of NYC LA Chicago Philly.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:57 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So I've never been to Austin. But I literally have 0 interest in visiting. I'll probably end up going because everyone says I should. But something even about its vibe and attraction in the media has always rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's that when these "coolest cities" lists come out, they tend to be overwhelmingly white liberals moving there (Austin, Denver, Portland). That to me is extremely boring. Middle class white people who think they're unique is not a culture. Culture comes from people of all backgrounds lifting up a city and participating in its economy equally.

I'm not going to say I'm an expert on Austin Denver Portland, but from what I understand, they largely are attracting the above-mentioned middle class white people who think they're unique. That's an entirely different "liberal" than the kind that lives in a place like NYC Philly LA or even Houston. It's hard to actually explain the difference to someone who isn't firsthand aware of the differences, but I know the types of cities/vibes I'm attracted to are different than the types of cities/vibes that the suburban white kids who wanna liberal move to. The SF liberal is more along the lines of the Austin Denver Portland style now, and I couldn't wait to get out of SF. I always felt more at home with the liberal vibe of NYC LA Chicago Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Not sure why you would be shocked that Dallas is less liberal than Houston, especially since it's the whole Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex included
Your post is extremely shortsighted. Beto carried Tarrant County in the Senate race. If anything Tarrant County is a battle ground County. Tarrant may not be as liberal as Dallas County but it’s certainly not a deep red County. If anything Collin and and Denton County would be the reason for DFW percentage. Tarrant still votes blue to a much larger extent then both Collin & Denton counties.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm having difficulty understanding this discussion.

Why are so many bringing in the terms "liberal" and "conservative" when this discussion is supposed to be about "Democrat" vs. "Republican"?

Democrat =/= Fiscal Liberal/Socially Progressive
Republican =/= Fiscal Conservative/Socially Conservative

I know some Democrats who are less LGBT-friendly than some Republicans. I know some Republicans who are pro-choice.

Can someone explain to me what we're supposed to be discussing here?

I'm not looking any more into the ranking than "more Democrats" vs. "more Republicans".
The numbers are just based on the 2016 presidential vote, not whether one personally identifies as a Democrat or Republican. I don't see how Pennsylvania is unique in terms of having many people who voted a certain way but don't necessarily subscribe to the entire platform of their party. The state is relatively representative of the nation overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City