Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
One could even say that Pennsylvania is the "Breadbasket of Deplorables," I suppose.
One just has to read the social media commentary for any Pittsburgh media outlet's recent articles regarding Port Authority Transit unveiling a new rainbow-wrapped bus for PRIDE to see that many white Democrats in the state have shifted far to the right socially. I used to consider Pennsylvania to be a solidly "blue" and left-leaning state socially. Now it seems to be purple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 06:53 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The White City
https://www.newgeography.com/content...the-white-city

^^^^^^
You should definitely read the article above.
That was a very solid article. Not sure if Austin-obsessed friends would be okay with me sending it to them to explain why I don't think they should move there from NYC.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:41 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
One just has to read the social media commentary for any Pittsburgh media outlet's recent articles regarding Port Authority Transit unveiling a new rainbow-wrapped bus for PRIDE to see that many white Democrats in the state have shifted far to the right socially. I used to consider Pennsylvania to be a solidly "blue" and left-leaning state socially. Now it seems to be purple.
Eh, comments sections on any newspaper website are all cesspools, regardless of which city the newspaper serves.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Eh, comments sections on any newspaper website are all cesspools, regardless of which city the newspaper serves.
Those with more of a national audience, specifically the NY Times and Washington Post, are definitely exceptions. Otherwise, I tend to agree.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 AM

994 posts, read 501,782 times
Yeah, I don't know what it is about newspaper comments sections, but wow, it's ugly more often than not - no matter the topic.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:20 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd add that Durham's urban area isn't all that large and having two of the three major universities of the Triangle over-weights it with progressives. I'll also add that Durham has a large percentage of African Americans that typically vote Democratic and don't usually prove to be socially conservative as many here are speculating to be true across the board in the AA community.
On the other hand, Raleigh's urban area has the largest of the three major universities but overwhelms Durham's in population and also has the lion's share of the Triangle's suburbs filled with highly educated voters. Raleigh too has a substantial AA community by percentage, but it's nowhere near as large by % as the one in Durham. Raleigh is also one of the most politically engaged places in the country with much higher voter turnout than the national norm with its core county, Wake, casting the most ballots by far of any county in the state, despite having been less populated than Mecklenburg (Charlotte).
Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill are only separate urban areas in the first place because there is a break in residential development around Research Triangle Park. Having highly educated voters in a politically competitive state is a good combination for high turnout.

Interestingly, Wake (1,092,305) and Mecklenburg (1,093,901) have just about identical populations as of 2018 estimates. Mecklenburg is certainly growing quickly by national standards, but Wake's growth is even faster.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:43 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So I've never been to Austin. But I literally have 0 interest in visiting. I'll probably end up going because everyone says I should. But something even about its vibe and attraction in the media has always rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's that when these "coolest cities" lists come out, they tend to be overwhelmingly white liberals moving there (Austin, Denver, Portland). That to me is extremely boring. Middle class white people who think they're unique is not a culture. Culture comes from people of all backgrounds lifting up a city and participating in its economy equally.

I'm not going to say I'm an expert on Austin Denver Portland, but from what I understand, they largely are attracting the above-mentioned middle class white people who think they're unique. That's an entirely different "liberal" than the kind that lives in a place like NYC Philly LA or even Houston. It's hard to actually explain the difference to someone who isn't firsthand aware of the differences, but I know the types of cities/vibes I'm attracted to are different than the types of cities/vibes that the suburban white kids who wanna liberal move to. The SF liberal is more along the lines of the Austin Denver Portland style now, and I couldn't wait to get out of SF. I always felt more at home with the liberal vibe of NYC LA Chicago Philly.
Austin is majority minority.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:47 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That was a very solid article. Not sure if Austin-obsessed friends would be okay with me sending it to them to explain why I don't think they should move there from NYC.
Send it to them. They need to know the truth.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill are only separate urban areas in the first place because there is a break in residential development around Research Triangle Park. Having highly educated voters in a politically competitive state is a good combination for high turnout.

Interestingly, Wake (1,092,305) and Mecklenburg (1,093,901) have just about identical populations as of 2018 estimates. Mecklenburg is certainly growing quickly by national standards, but Wake's growth is even faster.
Yep. Well aware of how quickly the gap has closed between Mecklenburg and Wake. When the next estimate comes out, Wake will have passed Mecklenburg. However, in 2016, Wake was less populated than Mecklenburg but cast over 49,000 more votes.
Also, some agencies that report urban areas have since united the two as Raleigh's western suburbs have encircled RTP and connected it to Durham. Northeast of RTP, Raleigh and Durham also actually meet now.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:47 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I’m shocked that Dallas is less liberal than Houston, but I already knew both were more conservative than Miami and Atlanta.

I’m not shocked by Raleigh or Tallahassee, but Durham is astoundingly liberal. No one is surprised that San Francisco is number one.
What does surprise me about San Francisco is there's such a small gap between the city and metro politics. The city voted about 10% red so there's only a 3%~ gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City