Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:03 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Ive never heard of someone vacationing in Richmond. Savannah is where people go to vacation from up north, like Charleston SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 05:04 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ive never heard of someone vacationing in Richmond. Savannah is where people go to vacation from up north, like Charleston SC.
Noone said Richmond was a tourist hotspot......

Old 12-22-2019, 05:18 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
No I wouldnt say that at all.Savannah is a destination.Alexandria is not.
Savannah is fun.Alexandria is not.No one says "lets take a trip to Alexandria". They do for Savannah.I went last year and it was so much fun. Alexandria is nice,historical and tidy but Savannah is has a richness in culture that Alexandria just doent have
I'm a GA Boy but Alexandria is used to part of the District officially and really, people who visit DC will inevitably make their way to Alexandria. I acknowledge the appeal of Savannah though and I'm a huge fan of the Historic District of Savannah but Old Town is a peer area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It was specifically Savannah vs Richmond.
Also a good match up but Richmond beats out Savannah. Savannah is an architectural gem and Oglethorpe's square layout is greater than Richmond but RVA is the larger city and has more to do. I was in Church Hill years ago and I ran into a guy with a dslr camera walking around and I asked if he was a VCU student and he told me that he was from California and here for vacation (he was actually staying in DC but made time to check out Richmond's inner city historic neighborhoods). There are more and more people from the West Coast who are slowly but surely turning RVA into a destination. Savannah has that open carry with alcohol thing that will always draw but RVA has the water rafting and stuff.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:58 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'm a GA Boy but Alexandria is used to part of the District officially and really, people who visit DC will inevitably make their way to Alexandria. I acknowledge the appeal of Savannah though and I'm a huge fan of the Historic District of Savannah but Old Town is a peer area.

Also a good match up but Richmond beats out Savannah.
Subjectively. As I said, it’s nearly impossible to say a city beats another objectively. Because you are subjectively choosing what you are objectively comparing. Being a bigger urban area is only a positive if you want it to be so.

Last edited by Heel82; 12-22-2019 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-22-2019, 07:28 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
A very simple question, as of 2020, and throughout the decade, which state is/will be best overall, Virginia or Georgia?

You may judge any of the criteria:

Cities - Georgia. Atlanta = NoVa/Richmond/Hampton Roads. Plus GA has Savannah
Economy - VA. A lot of government, government related, government contractors, and military related jobs that tend to be recession proof. However, GA has still had more robust population growth.
Quality of life - Tie. Other than proximity to the Bos-Wash corridor, there’s hardly anything one state has over the other.
Recreational activities - Tie. There isn’t really anything you can do in one state that you can’t do in the other.
Education/Schools K-12 - Virginia
Universities/ Research institutions - Virginia has more ranked universities than GA.
Culture/Population/Diversity Tie. Both have major metros that have attracted people from all over, both have a coastal culture, both have a sizable military population, both have an Appalachian culture, both had a past Confederate culture.
Politics - Subjective. VA is a deeper shade of purple than GA. IMHO, VA is maybe a couple of election cycles ahead of GA in becoming more of a Blue State.
Infrastructure/Transportation - Tie. Virginia leads by a sizable margin when it comes to transit/commuter rail, but Georgia has much better roads.
Airports etc - Virginia is a lot more balanced in this respect. Reagan National, Dulles, not to mention that Norfolk and Richmond have decent sized airports. In Georgia, it’s Hartsfield, then (huge drop off) Savannah. Then again, Hartsfield > The major Virginia airports.
Overall, VA on the strength of its educational institutions, and the stability that a government based economy provides

Old 12-22-2019, 07:40 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Subjectively. As I said, it’s nearly impossible to say a city beats another objectively. Because you are subjectively choosing what you are objectively comparing. Being a bigger urban area is only a positive if you want it to be so.
This post, just like several others in this subforum, is about using certain criteria to judge which place "wins." Other versus threads are about one's preference. So even using the original criteria, Richmond beats Savannah. I'd stil like to know what the person I quoted meant by his statement. I suspect it's about personal preference.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:51 PM

What was the original criteria? All I saw you say was Richmond is objectively better than Savannah because it was more historic and urban. That’s not how objectivity works.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:01 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
What was the original criteria? All I saw you say was Richmond is objectively better than Savannah because it was more historic and urban. That’s not how objectivity works.
That's not what I said. That doesn't even sound like something I'd say.

And the original criteria is where you'd expect it to be: the original post.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Overall, VA on the strength of its educational institutions, and the stability that a government based economy provides
Great post/breakdown, I read all of your comparisons. I’d just say the only thing I see differently is that Virginia is no longer a purple state at all. It’s blue. Virginia played that purple game going back before midway through this decade. VA is done trending blue now. It is blue, and maybe the most progressive state in the South.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's not what I said. That doesn't even sound like something I'd say.

And the original criteria is where you'd expect it to be: the original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Richmond handily beats Savannah on just about all objective measures and is more historic and urban.
And the original post gave no criteria for cities. It simply said “cities” as one discussion point for comparing the states, leaving open-ended (subjective) room to provide your own thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Heel82; 12-23-2019 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City