Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:23 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They are different types of cities to be sure, but they are about as closely matched as you can get for cities within their respective states (and Portsmouth also). Alexandria isn't a destination within itself because it's part of the DC metro and very intertwined with it, but it has a good bit to see and do.
No I agree. Alexandria is a great place and of course its not a destination for the reason you mentioned,However some of those distinctions make Savannah stand out more which makes it different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 05:32 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
I agree on paper VA wins but some are making it seem the only thing going in GA is Atlanta and Savannah.
What about Augusta?Augusta is bigger than Savannah and is more of economical hot spot with its government jobs,university plus its home of The Masters.
I just got in Atlanta for the holidays and will definately do more exploring

Old 12-23-2019, 07:41 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I agree on paper VA wins but some are making it seem the only thing going in GA is Atlanta and Savannah.
What about Augusta?Augusta is bigger than Savannah and is more of economical hot spot with its government jobs,university plus its home of The Masters.
I just got in Atlanta for the holidays and will definately do more exploring
Augusta has a larger economy than Savannah, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "hot spot" as it is solid but not really hot or booming. A significant chunk of its metropolitan economy is funded by the federal government, namely Fort Gordon and Savannah River Site (just across the state line in Aiken County, SC). In that respect, it's not so different from Virginia. The Army Cyber Command is in the process of being relocated from Fort Belvoir, VA to Fort Gordon and that should give the local economy a nice shot in the arm once completed and more jobs are added.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
And the original post gave no criteria for cities. It simply said “cities” as one discussion point for comparing the states, leaving open-ended (subjective) room to provide your own thoughts on the matter.
Come on dude; exercise a bit of critical thinking here. The same criteria used to compare both states can obviously be used to compare cities within both states (with cities being replaced with "neighborhoods"). It's essential the same measures used in any standard versus thread on this subforum, whether cities or states or even regions are being compared. I didnt think that had to actually be spelled out but if you're trying to win an argument based on a technicality, then one point for you I suppose.

And thank you for quoting my actual post. Since you're being all technical, you should readily see how you failed to accurately quote me.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:21 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
I quoted you accurately, I’m not sure what you last paragraph is about. There is a stray “and” I suppose which I ignored?

At any rate, some of the top drivers historically for moving is jobs, winter weather, location, cheaper, moving out of dense areas. Objectively, Savannah does quite well on most of those things with Richmond. Economic conditions would probably be Richmond’s, but otherwise. So yes, wholeheartedly, I disagree with “Richmond handily beats out Savannah on nearly every objective thing”, because on many of the bigs ones it fails.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:53 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
Quote:
I quoted you accurately, I’m not sure what you last paragraph is about. There is a stray “and” I suppose which I ignored?

At any rate, some of the top drivers historically for moving is jobs, winter weather, location, cheaper, moving out of dense areas. Objectively, Savannah does quite well on most of those things with Richmond. Economic conditions would probably be Richmond’s, but otherwise. So yes, wholeheartedly, I disagree with “Richmond handily beats out Savannah on nearly every objective thing”, because on many of the bigs ones it fails.
Have you ever spent time in Richmond? It could be argued that Richmond wins on all of your criteria except for winter weather and maybe cheaper, although I'm sure you can find parts of Richmond on par with Savannah cost-wise. Richmond also has a good mix of dense row-house neighborhoods with wooded SFH areas so IDK if Savannah wins that. That just leaves weather as a clear win for Savannah. Richmond wins on jobs and location definitely.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:21 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
What was the original criteria? All I saw you say was Richmond is objectively better than Savannah because it was more historic and urban. That’s not how objectivity works.
Just gonna say I love, love Savannah, but it's hard for me to square the city as being a comparable with Richmond. I think people are unfamiliar with the features of RVA or misrepresent it all the time on here. The distance from Downtown Atlanta, north along Peachtree to Buckhead/Lenox Square is almost the same distance between Richmond's primary urban corridor from Downtown, west to Willow Lawn/Westhampton (with fewer highrises and large-scale developments but more traditional urban features and high densities). Hence, Savannah's historic district could pretty much, fit inside one of Richmond's neighborhoods, in particular, the Fan. Richmond's urban features and unique history haven't been as well marketed over the years and its culinary scene is just recently getting noticed, but overall Richmond is simply a bigger city with more going on.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:38 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Atlanta is obviously the biggest city among the two states, but I think parts of Virginia are actually more urban in some ways especially with Alexandria and Arlington.

One thing I really do like is that Virginia seems to have really upped its investment into transit infrastructure including outside of NOVA. The state over the last decade has steadily improved its rail service through many parts of the state and seems to be accelerating that in the coming decade.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Atlanta is obviously the biggest city among the two states, but I think parts of Virginia are actually more urban in some ways especially with Alexandria and Arlington.

One thing I really do like is that Virginia seems to have really upped its investment into transit infrastructure including outside of NOVA. The state over the last decade has steadily improved its rail service through many parts of the state and seems to be accelerating that in the coming decade.
I think this is can in part be attributed to the population distribution across both states, while NOVA is 36 percent of VA's population in the northern part of it's state. Atlanta's metro also (in the northern part) is over 60% of it's states population, leaving more needs to be filled outside of metro Atlanta, and the lesser populated area having to catch up. All the while, the state capital is Atlanta vs Richmond being in the center of the state.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Are we really doing this? Are you going to just pretend like I can't go back and copy and paste both of our statements which will clearly show that you didn't quote me accurately?

I said: "Richmond handily beats Savannah on just about all objective measures and is more historic and urban."

What you said I said: "All I saw you say was Richmond is objectively better than Savannah because it was more historic and urban."

Anybody can see that you absolutely did not quote me accurately and what you said I said even has a totally different meaning from my actual statement; to flipplilantly dismiss it as "a stray 'and' that I missed" is extremely disingenuous on your part and you know it. I don't have the slightest idea why you felt the need to blatantly misrepresent my words in such a manner. We can have a legitimate and respectful disagreement about the nature of the criteria and other things related to the topic of discussion itself without being disingenuous towards each other in the process. I'd expect this from some other posters but I pegged you as one of the most reasonable and fair posters but I suppose I was mistaken.

Quote:
From my perspective, you're essentially saying that Savannah beats Richmond with respect to population growth and therefore Richmond doesn't objectively beat Savannah in all criteria. I find that to be a very deficient argument myself. You may say it's just a matter of semantics, but I don't consider most of those drivers you meantioned to be the type of criteria typically utilized when comparing two different places to determine which one is "better," which, in these discussions, usually means which is healthier, more prosperous, more progressive (in a general, not ideological, sense), etc. Even so, there's certainly more than one way to look at those drivers, such as considering how cheap a place is in relation to area wages/incomes and not in absolute terms. Now all of the criteria won't be directly related to those outcomes and will be a matter of personal preference, but generally what we're trying to get at is overall health and performance. If you think calling the factors being weighed "objective criteria" is inaccurate, then fine; we can call it something else but it is generally recognized that we're ultimately looking at health/performance.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 12-23-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City