Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 04:22 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times

Advertisements

For those saying "Atlanta" as an argument, why? I am cannot find any logical reason as to why Atlanta would beat out Boston... I'll add Houston and Philadelphia as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 04:34 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
For those saying "Atlanta" as an argument, why? I am cannot find any logical reason as to why Atlanta would beat out Boston... I'll add Houston and Philadelphia as well.
I'll chime in. Atlanta's influence and dominance over the SE plays a role in it's overall importance. Atlanta also contains the strongest cultural influence out of these cities. (AA). Currently, many people consider the city the black mecca and Black Hollywood as well. Because of those reasons, Atlanta has a strong argument for 6 and should not be lower than 8 because people can argue Boston and Houston as well.

The city that I want to hear about is Philadelphia.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:43 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I thought Miami would be the odd one out. Denver and Phoenix were two that I almost included, but figured that people could pick “other” if they feel strongly about those.

Yeah, I think they all have good arguments. It’ll be interesting to see what folks say if anyone ends up taking the bait.
Anyone who thinks Denver and / Phoenix tops the likes of Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Atlanta, Seattle, or Miami really needs to consider getting out of their parents' basement.

I'm going with Boston

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-22-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 04:48 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
In the early thread Houston had the largest economy on the list, and was larger than DMV as well as the SF part of the Bay, by a large margin. Today while the city overall has improved GDP has stagnated and oil to me at least is on a slow decline, it]s never not going to be the most important resource or an economic juggernaut unless some wondrous new technology/resource is found, but it's definitely less important than it was in 2010-2015.

I personally think heading into the future Dallas is slowly going to cement the number 6 position while Boston still has a grip on it now, Dallas has the population and GDP advantage and the way things are going this is likely to hold for the forseeable future. I don't see how Dallas doesn't become the obvious choice as it approaches Chicago and SF/Bay and furthers itself form the DMV in MSA population, in fact it will probably eclipse them in CSA population.

Sheer numbers isn't everything obviously but in this case I doubt any city will be able to maintain a lead over a city that will have 2-4 million more people in the next 10-20 years.

My list is...
Dallas
Boston
Houston
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Seattle
Miami

Old 03-22-2020, 04:51 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Dallas has the largest GDP in the south and 4th the most populated metro in the country. It also has a strong case for why it should be #6.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
By the bulk you mean the bigger half? I know enough people that work for both the port of Houston and ports in other countries that send to Houston to debunk this. Yes, petroleum is a considerably large percent of port activity in Houston but it doesn’t even make up half of it. Maybe it’s not the most important but it’s in the running of being that, and this is part of the reason we consider Houston.
Simply knowing people who work at ports in Houston and in other world cities isn't enough to either debunk or verify the exact amount of petroleum-related products that move through Houston's port. The fact of the matter is that O&G powers Houston's port to a substantial degree and it wouldn't even be in the running of being the most important port if it weren't for that industry. So if you want to highlight the ways in which Houston excels that aren't related to its signature industry, the port wouldn't really count.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um, that is different than saying objectively.

Don't try to walk back now.
Who's walking anything back? I thought it would be understood that the opposite of being biased is being fair or objective.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:21 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Simply knowing people who work at ports in Houston and in other world cities isn't enough to either debunk or verify the exact amount of petroleum-related products that move through Houston's port. The fact of the matter is that O&G powers Houston's port to a substantial degree and it wouldn't even be in the running of being the most important port if it weren't for that industry. So if you want to highlight the ways in which Houston excels that aren't related to its signature industry, the port wouldn't really count.
And? No one is saying anything about oil not being the signature industry. If it only had oil, and nothing else it wouldn’t be in the running for top 10.

That’s like saying Boston only has the education achievements going for it. If that were true, Boston wouldn’t be top 10 either. Now it doesn’t make sense to measure a cities greatness by its leading industry does it?

Old 03-22-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
And? No one is saying anything about oil not being the signature industry. If it only had oil, and nothing else it wouldn’t be in the running for top 10.

That’s like saying Boston only has the education achievements going for it. If that were true, Boston wouldn’t be top 10 either. Now it doesn’t make sense to measure a cities greatness by its leading industry does it?
I'm not sure if you understand my point. I was saying that the importance of Houston's port is directly tied to oil so your mention of the port as an example of a major asset apart from O&G doesn't make much sense. But that doesn't mean that I think that Houston doesn't have anything that contributes to its importance besides O&G.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:55 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
That’s like saying Boston only has the education achievements going for it.
There is some truth to this, though. A lot of Boston’s more prominent companies were founded by alumni of the area’s universities: Raytheon by Tufts alumni, EMC by Northeastern alumni, Thermo Electron (now Thermo Fisher) by a Harvard and an MIT alumnus, etc.

Newer companies like Moderna, Vertex, and iRobot have strong ties to Harvard and MIT.

And even the companies that aren’t really based in Boston like Takeda, Novartis, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Sanofi, Pfizer, Amgen, etc. are all there to be close to the research, talent, and environment provided by the universities.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-22-2020 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City