Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 01:19 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Diversity is great, but isn't about "importance."

LA/LB is the by far the biggest port by value.

It's not the 4th largest by a longshot. You're using city limits, which isn't relevant.

I'm not aware of any way it stands out in the arts, culture, or musicians that would make it stand out.

Shopping? You're grasping at straws.

If you said NASA and the seaport, that would at least be arguments.
So diversity isn’t important? Got it. We don’t factor being an international city by its international population. That’s why we don’t factor that into New York and LA being where they are.

LA/LB are the biggest ports by value, and guess what, LA was listed as second, and this part of the reason.

Not the 4th by a long shot? What’s your measurement? MSA? That would make it 5th so not a long shot there. CSA? That completely restructures from the MSA list and would make it 9th. The point is it’s up there and population has a lot to do for its position.

Not aware of musicians that make Houston stand out. Okay so you’re not aware music?

Grasping at straws, explain why.

Yes, NASA and Seaport are reasons that I didn’t state. The point was that oil isn’t the single factor in Houston being considered here. If it were, it wouldn’t be a debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Certainly Houston has one of the most important ports in the country, but THE most important? That's pretty debatable. And the bulk of port activity is petroleum-related, which is to be expected.
By the bulk you mean the bigger half? I know enough people that work for both the port of Houston and ports in other countries that send to Houston to debunk this. Yes, petroleum is a considerably large percent of port activity in Houston but it doesn’t even make up half of it. Maybe it’s not the most important but it’s in the running of being that, and this is part of the reason we consider Houston.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
"Repping" their hometown frequently seems to be more of a thing in hip hop and Black culture from what I see, which could be why you see it more in ATL. Just my observation.
I agree 100%

Old 03-22-2020, 01:26 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never claimed I was. I was simply demonstrating that you don't have to be implicitly (or explicitly) biased against Atlanta to believe that Boston outranks it. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Um, that is different than saying objectively.

Don't try to walk back now.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
In time, in time.

I kept my OP vague because the threads from 2009 I was copying were also vague. They do mention “cultural importance” in addition to “economic importance”. Between Coke, CNN, the Olympics, and Georgia studios, Atlanta has a pretty huge cultural impact relative to its size and economy. It also has a huge music scene from what I hear, and acts from Atlanta always seem quick to rep the city. The same is true of Houston.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...esses-csa.html

Old 03-22-2020, 02:06 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
"Repping" their hometown frequently seems to be more of a thing in hip hop and Black culture from what I see, which could be why you see it more in ATL. Just my observation.
True. I still think it’s a cool form of advertising for the city nationally and internationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm not aware of any way it stands out in the arts, culture, or musicians that would make it stand out.
BEYONCÉ!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
So diversity isn’t important? Got it. We don’t factor being an international city by its international population. That’s why we don’t factor that into New York and LA being where they are.
I’m kind of on mhays’ side for this one. There are plenty of cities that are diverse, but not necessarily important as a result. New Haven is one example. Unless you mean foreign-born in which case maybe that can be tied to international presentation and therefore “importance”? Maybe?

Old 03-22-2020, 02:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
BEYONCÉ!?
Sony Corporation of America
25 Madison Avenue,
New York, New York,
United States

Old 03-22-2020, 02:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
True. I still think it’s a cool form of advertising for the city nationally and internationally
Agree... its pretty cool. I like it when Tina Fey talks about my school or Sandra Bullock talks about my hometown area.

Also agreed on the statements being made about Seattle. It punches way above it's belt and depending on ones criteria, I could definitely see it in the game. There was a Seattle vs. Atlanta thread and I believe they were pretty close with alot of votes.

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-22-2020 at 02:57 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 02:55 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Atlanta

Old 03-22-2020, 03:39 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
There were a lot of pretty eager Houston-boosters in the 5 Primary Cities thread in General US. I’m surprised we haven’t heard more from them, especially when Houston is matching Atlanta in the poll.

As if Houston not being top 5 wasn't a big enough insult. The fact that it is currently running third here is a travesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City