Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Seems like city data finds Boston sixth and Houston 7th. It’s time to skip into the 8, which I predict Atlanta will win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 09:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Seems like city data finds Boston sixth and Houston 7th. It’s time to skip into the 8, which I predict Atlanta will win.
Huh?
You have Houston and Atlanta reversed.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:50 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Huh?
You have Houston and Atlanta reversed.
Not really. Without Boston as an option, I'm pretty sure alot of those votes would go to Houston.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:58 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Me thinks Boston.
I does, too!

Old 03-21-2020, 10:19 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Oil is important, but it's still just a commodity. That's the only really major Houston claim.

For example, Seattle is much bigger in military (though a few down the list), tech (#2), and medical research (far more federal dollars, and also a lot of Gates dollars). On this list it might be second from last as the survey says.

Atlanta and Dallas have good cases for #7 also, as two huge centers for office jobs (heavy in the middle-wage sectors), and as huge regional and logistical centers supported by freeway webs and giant airports. I don't know much about Philly's case, though it's bigger in education than its image suggests.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
Houston because of the energy sector.
At $25/barrel, it’s West Virginia.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:22 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Not really. Without Boston as an option, I'm pretty sure alot of those votes would go to Houston.
His post is suggesting we just skip straight to a poll for number 8, essentially defeating the purpose of these polls to begin with, as, right now, Boston is 6th with Atlanta as the runner up. We can draw conclusions when a poll for #7 exists — right now, given these results, his post makes no sense.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I think Boston because of the education level that is so critical in the 21st century global economy. It receives far more venture capital than any of the other cities on the list so the lead in intellectual property creation is going to only increase. Seattle is on a similar trajectory but is smaller. 30 years from now, it could be in contention for the same reason.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:00 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
n.y.c., and l.a. are the only trillion dollar metros. all the other top 10 are effectively tied for 3rd.
anyone committing d.c. to #4 or s.f. to #5 are just being homers:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...n_areas_by_GDP

theres 333 billion dollars separating #2 and #3; and, 333 billion dollars separating #3 and #10.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:26 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Oil is important, but it's still just a commodity. That's the only really major Houston claim.

For example, Seattle is much bigger in military (though a few down the list), tech (#2), and medical research (far more federal dollars, and also a lot of Gates dollars). On this list it might be second from last as the survey says.

Atlanta and Dallas have good cases for #7 also, as two huge centers for office jobs (heavy in the middle-wage sectors), and as huge regional and logistical centers supported by freeway webs and giant airports. I don't know much about Philly's case, though it's bigger in education than its image suggests.
The things you mention go Atl and DFW you could also mention for a hissy of other cities. For example you say Atl and DFW area huge centers for office jobs, but isn't Houston just as big (and for the first half of the decade posted larger job numbers than everyone else).

You say they are logistics hubs, but so is Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, LA, NY Chicago, New Orleans.
You say the hubs are supported by huge airports and freeways like those are the only two cities with huge airports.
ATL and DFW may be busier airports but Houston does have two major international airports, a system of seaports that is one of the busiest in the works by tonnage AND it's web of highways is just as good as DFW and better than ATL.

You diminish oil as a comodity but failing to see that energy is far more than oil. Anyway, even just focusing on comodities Oil is an internationally important economy. A layover at Hatfield is not. See the diminishing can go both ways. Houston is an integral part of the energy center but a single airport is my no means integral to the travel industry.

And talking about the travel industry, many of you are looking at the drop in oil prices but shutting your eyes to the hits on airline travel. Heck all industries are being affected now.

Anyway, my point is that you Atlanta and DFW lack flagship economies. ATL' s airport numbers are based on a lack of nearby competition. Cities like NY, London, DC, LA, even Chicago and SF have multiple major airports.
Houston on the other hand has international flagship industries in Energy, Manufacturing and shipping.

NY, Boston, SF, Chicago, DC, LA all have international economies and diverse international populations. Houston, Philadelphia, Seattle and Miami would come next in terms of cities most entrenched in international economies and diverse international residents. Yeah Hatfield has the huge numbers but IAH does the same job by providing flights to every single continent on the planet.

Leading a region is important for that region but that just makes it a regional hub. ATL and DFW area regional hubs. Houston and Boston are beyond that. Like the Top 5 they are globally important cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City