Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 08:14 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times

Advertisements

Detroit if you include the next half decade. New Arena, massive clearing of blighted architecture. The city being seen as more hip and less depressing than it was 15 years ago. New massive international Bridge opening in a couple years. New skyscrapers proposed, although ,the Hudson tower was apparently knocked down from 900ft to 650ft.

About Camden, I hope it can get it's population back up to 100,000. That's still 25,000 away from its peak so hopefully it's possible. If and when Philadelphia goes into an upswing and becomes economically and culturally relevant, Camden can be like its equivalent to Jersey City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind92 View Post
Nice... accurate, fully explained. I personally really like Philadelphia as a city. Didn't know about the success their having with their culinary scene though I think that's pretty nice. I wouldnt mind living in the area also. My only gripe with the city itself are the rowhouses. Could you imagine if the city had went with their own spin of victorian houses. This article did show me however that rowhouse style could actually look very pleasant.

https://pahistoricpreservation.com/rethinking-the-row-
house/
Philly should have built more apartment buildings like New York and Boston. For a city that apparently hates being compared to New York, Boston sure copied a lot of the city's architecture. Philly being closer and having many ties to New York, it didn't have a huge effect on the housing style. Philly does infact show many similarities architectually to New York, and so does Boston. They both seemed to have taken different cues from New York. Although Bostons also unique from Philadelphia in that it created it's very own unique housing type which neither New York or Philly used, the triple decker.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:29 PM

994 posts, read 966,671 times
From personal experience only , I'd nominate Greenville,SC for under 250k and the Phoenix metro area (various cities) for 1+ million.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:57 AM

68 posts, read 57,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Philly should have built more apartment buildings like New York and Boston. For a city that apparently hates being compared to New York, Boston sure copied a lot of the city's architecture. Philly being closer and having many ties to New York, it didn't have a huge effect on the housing style. Philly does infact show many similarities architectually to New York, and so does Boston. They both seemed to have taken different cues from New York. Although Bostons also unique from Philadelphia in that it created it's very own unique housing type which neither New York or Philly used, the triple decker.
I guess if I had to pick between
Boston's Street Grid aka squiggly lines or Philadelphia rowhouses, it be the latter of the two...easily.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Detroit if you include the next half decade. New Arena, massive clearing of blighted architecture. The city being seen as more hip and less depressing than it was 15 years ago. New massive international Bridge opening in a couple years. New skyscrapers proposed, although ,the Hudson tower was apparently knocked down from 900ft to 650ft.

About Camden, I hope it can get it's population back up to 100,000. That's still 25,000 away from its peak so hopefully it's possible. If and when Philadelphia goes into an upswing and becomes economically and culturally relevant, Camden can be like its equivalent to Jersey City.
I personally feel that Detroit before it went downhill accomplished what others aspired for. The Big City that you could actually live in and raise a family and if you wanted all that extra stuff you could always visit New York City. At one time Detroit was the 4th biggest city in the U.S at somewhat over 1.8 million people within the city limits. Which is half of Chicago's 3.6 million people when the windy city was the 2nd biggest city in the country. Detroit was designed to hold 4 million people comfortably and at its height didn't even hit half its potential. From what is just my personal opinion the most beautiful brick homes on streets with the most inviting named streets planned on a very well formulated grid. Also while NYC offered a apartment...Detroit offered a house.

As someone from Michigan who chose Grand Rapids for most improved under 250,000 i find it funny that I forgot about Detroit. I'd say Detroit and Philly have had equal success within the last decade for their respective sizes however with Detroit's being a bit more recent. About time they decided to maximize that lakefront and river potential.

Also Lansing is FINALLY!!! improving its downtown.
https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/sto...building,13848

https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Do...561269061.html

https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Do...569635831.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lan...amp/2129436001

Downtown East Lansing is getting more buildings though...interesting

Old 06-10-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I guess if I had to pick between
Boston's Street Grid aka squiggly lines or Philadelphia rowhouses, it be the latter of the two...easily.
Yeah. But New York in general has some pretty odd street patterns in some places and even Philly does too. And Some parts of boston are straight grids too. In fact, if Boston ever annexed Cambridge and Somerville, a larger percentage of the cityvwould be gridded since those two cities are primarily on perfect grids.

Quote:
I personally feel that Detroit before it went downhill accomplished what others aspired for. The Big City that you could actually live in and raise a family and if you wanted all that extra stuff you could always visit New York City. At one time Detroit was the 4th biggest city in the U.S at somewhat over 1.8 million people within the city limits. Which is half of Chicago's 3.6 million people when the windy city was the 2nd biggest city in the country. Detroit was designed to hold 4 million people comfortably and at its height didn't even hit half its potential. From what is just my personal opinion the most beautiful brick homes on streets with the most inviting named streets planned on a very well formulated grid. Also while NYC offered a apartment...Detroit offered a house.

As someone from Michigan who chose Grand Rapids for most improved under 250,000 i find it funny that I forgot about Detroit. I'd say Detroit and Philly have had equal success within the last decade for their respective sizes however with Detroit's being a bit more recent. About time they decided to maximize that lakefront and river potential.

Also Lansing is FINALLY!!! improving its downtown.
https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/sto...building,13848

https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Do...561269061.html

https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Do...569635831.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lan...amp/2129436001

Downtown East Lansing is getting more buildings though...interesting
Detroit had above 1 million residents between 1920 and 1995 so that's a long time. Philly has had over 1 million since 1887, and had above 2 million residents between 1945 and 1960 and is the only one of the 5 US cities to reach 2 million that has less than 2 million today.

Detroit was definitely on its way to holding 2.5 million residents, but I doubt 4 million people could've fit there unless it expanded beyond 135 square miles. Philly fit 2,072,000 in the same size as Detroit on a denser plan. Philly is the smallest city by area that is larger in population than San Francisco.

Last edited by KoNgFooCj; 06-10-2020 at 03:02 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah. But New York in general has some pretty odd street patterns in some places and even Philly does too. And Some parts of boston are straight grids too. In fact, if Boston ever annexed Cambridge and Somerville, a larger percentage of the cityvwould be gridded since those two cities are primarily on perfect grids.

Detroit had above 1 million residents between 1920 and 1995 so that's a long time. Philly has had over 1 million since 1887, and had above 2 million residents between 1945 and 1960 and is the only one of the 5 US cities to reach 2 million that has less than 2 million today.

Detroit was definitely on its way to holding 2.5 million residents, but I doubt 4 million people could've fit there unless it expanded beyond 135 square miles. Philly fit 2,072,000 in the same size as Detroit on a denser plan. Philly is the smallest city by area that is larger in population than San Francisco.
Is annexation ever discussed by Boston and Somerville and Cambridge ? If absorbed how would it affect the city's density numbers. As far as grid it seems South Boston and Backbay is where it stops. Outer Drive was brave enough to show the worse Detroit could do with street planning. The East Side is still mainly on a grid its just angled to flow along the water. They also tried to make sure their main thoroughfares were equally a mile apart. Not trying to bash Bostons street layout. Its just details to me people fail or forget to mention deserve just a tid bit of recognition.

Detroit has 260,000 households right. A household means basically at least one person in a house right.
Detroit also has 30,0000 vacant homes. So I added it thus 290,000. 13 people per household was the obvious answer. If on the other 90,000 vacant lots, on at least half of them were residential blocks filled with houses it might of been possible considering those vacant lots were at one time city blocks that multiple houses occupied. Sq ft of a city limits also include what their filled with. If city 1 has 25 sq ft and city 2 has 25 sq ft they can both be filled with a different amount of houses versus other structures and parks. If I'm missing some number I apologize. All in all it appears Detroit had more thought put in it than many may think. All in all I crunched some numbers to see if it was anywhere near possible and whats puzzling is that from what i found it is...I think
If wrong they overshot their goal at that time.
If I'm correct however I think that a lot of time and energy went into De'Twah. It may have been easier to just start building. Someone just thought longer about how they were going to build.

Last edited by Lakeshorestateofmind92; 06-10-2020 at 04:37 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 05:48 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Is annexation ever discussed by Boston and Somerville and Cambridge ? If absorbed how would it affect the city's density numbers. As far as grid it seems South Boston and Backbay is where it stops. Outer Drive was brave enough to show the worse Detroit could do with street planning. The East Side is still mainly on a grid its just angled to flow along the water. They also tried to make sure their main thoroughfares were equally a mile apart. Not trying to bash Bostons street layout. Its just details to me people fail or forget to mention deserve just a tid bit of recognition.

Detroit has 260,000 households right. A household means basically at least one person in a house right.
Detroit also has 30,0000 vacant homes. So I added it thus 290,000. 13 people per household was the obvious answer. If on the other 90,000 vacant lots, on at least half of them were residential blocks filled with houses it might of been possible considering those vacant lots were at one time city blocks that multiple houses occupied. Sq ft of a city limits also include what their filled with. If city 1 has 25 sq ft and city 2 has 25 sq ft they can both be filled with a different amount of houses versus other structures and parks. If I'm missing some number I apologize. All in all it appears Detroit had more thought put in it than many may think. All in all I crunched some numbers to see if it was anywhere near possible and whats puzzling is that from what i found it is...I think
If wrong they overshot their goal at that time.
If I'm correct however I think that a lot of time and energy went into De'Twah. It may have been easier to just start building. Someone just thought longer about how they were going to build.
No annexation isn’t discussed din New England in general. Bsoton last annexed Hyde Park 107 years ago I don’t know of any annexation in All of New England since then.

Annexing Cambridge and Somerville would only benefit Boston and be a detriment socioeconomically to Cambridge and Somerville.

It’s not and will never be discussed. Not in the foreseeable future

Neither Cambridge nor Somerville is in an official grid. They just have straight-ish streets. Maybe 10-15% of Boston is gridded. The landfill areas like Back Bay/South End and South Boston

Old 06-10-2020, 05:53 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
I thought a unique way to do this was to use the city size as different classes...such as the following

Most improved with a population at 1 million and above
Most Imrpoved with population under 1 mil to 750,000
Most Improved with population under 750,000 to 500,000
Most Improved with population under 500,000 to 250,000
Most Imrpoved with population under 250,000 and lower

Also explain why you chose your answers

I got Bend, Oregon for the last one for sure. Have fun and I warmly anticipate your replies.
How are we defining "improved"? Stature, transit, growth, what?

Old 06-10-2020, 06:41 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Nice... accurate, fully explained. I personally really like Philadelphia as a city. Didn't know about the success their having with their culinary scene though I think that's pretty nice. I wouldnt mind living in the area also. My only gripe with the city itself are the rowhouses. Could you imagine if the city had went with their own spin of victorian houses. This article did show me however that rowhouse style could actually look very pleasant.

https://pahistoricpreservation.com/rethinking-the-row-
house/
The culinary scene in Philadelphia has been strong for quite a while now.
I would rank it top 4-6 in the US. Its varied by cuisine, old concepts, new concepts, food markets, casual, high-end, etc. Some of the hottest concepts in NYC and DC come from chefs and restaurant groups in Philadelphia. Definitely a great food and drink city.

I live in Manhattan now, but I still enjoy the food scene in Philadelphia more than New York.

I just hope this Covid mess doesn't hurt business too much in all cities.

The rowhouses don't bother me, some of the most quaint beautiful streets are row-houses (plus there are different varieties). But I would like more larger buildings outside of downtown / Center City, specifically mixed use. There have been a few more recent ambitious projects outside of downtown, which is a good sign. More trees / vegetation. Philadelphia has a wonderful park system and a decent tree canopy downtown, but other neighborhoods desperately need vegetation. A few trees go a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City