Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 05:12 PM

68 posts, read 58,106 times

Advertisements

I thought a unique way to do this was to use the city size as different classes...such as the following

Most improved with a population at 1 million and above
Most Imrpoved with population under 1 mil to 750,000
Most Improved with population under 750,000 to 500,000
Most Improved with population under 500,000 to 250,000
Most Imrpoved with population under 250,000 and lower

Also explain why you chose your answers

I got Bend, Oregon for the last one for sure. Have fun and I warmly anticipate your replies.

Last edited by Lakeshorestateofmind92; 06-09-2020 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 05:30 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,130,746 times
Most improved with a population over 1 million and above Philadelphia
Most Imrpoved with population under 250,000 and lower Richmond

Old 06-09-2020, 05:57 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,729,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind92 View Post
I thought a unique way to do this was to use the city size as different classes...such as the following

Most improved with a population at 1 million and above
Most Imrpoved with population under 1 mil to 750,000
Most Improved with population under 750,000 to 500,000
Most Improved with population under 500,000 to 250,000
Most Imrpoved with population under 250,000 and lower

Also explain why you chose your answers

I got Bend, Oregon for the last one for sure. Have fun and I warmly anticipate your replies.
Most improved with a population at 1 million and above = Dallas
Most Improved with population under 1 mil to 750,000 = Seattle
Most Improved with population under 750,000 to 500,000 = Nashville
Most Improved with population under 500,000 to 250,000 = Oakland
Most Improved with population under 250,000 and lower = Chattanooga

Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM

21,742 posts, read 12,873,217 times
500-750k is Nashville or DC. Seattle count?

Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM

I appreciate all responses however it be nice at least if your choices not only be stated but explained.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
500-750k is Nashville or DC. Seattle count?
I actually want it to considering Seattle is only about 5000 away according to 2018. Who knows they might have hit 750,000 or even surpassed. Lol in my ref voice "ill allow it"

Old 06-09-2020, 06:37 PM

9,391 posts, read 9,373,327 times
I second Philadelphia.

Improved can take on a few different meanings, but I am looking at this in the most traditional way.

Philadelphia is one of the oldest, most established cities / metros in the country. The city has always been among America's gems, but did fall on hard times during the de-industrialization period.

But I can say, having grown up in the area and living in the city for school and many years after school, the city has come a long way. From development, investment, rebirth, rejuvenation, more jobs, new fresh residents, a booming culinary scene, growth of institutions, a growing bio-med sector, decrease in crime, a slow decrease in poverty, infill development, the skyline, several huge projects on the table, etc. etc.

Nearly all cities over 1 million have improved, but I don't see any others that outdo Philadelphia in the improvement factor. I already consider NYC, LA and Chicago to be on their game, so leaving it between the others, its clearly Philadelphia. (Downtown LA has improved a lot too though).

The city still has a lot of problems that need time to alleviate, but Philadelphia has the potential to grow as one of America's premier cities, and its really started to gain momentum on that potential over the past decade. The bones are already in place, so that helps too.

(edit, Philadelphia also has the most potential for continued improvement of the American cities over 1M. Whether that potential is fulfilled or not is largely left up to the city's leadership...which worries me.)

Last edited by cpomp; 06-09-2020 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-09-2020, 06:47 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,130,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I second Philadelphia.

Improved can take on a few different meanings, but I am looking at this in the most traditional way.

Philadelphia is one of the oldest, most established cities / metros in the country. The city has always been among America's gems, but did fall on hard times during the de-industrialization period.

But I can say, having grown up in the area and living in the city for school and many years after school, the city has come a long way. From development, investment, rebirth, rejuvenation, more jobs, new fresh residents, a booming culinary scene, growth of institutions, a growing bio-med sector, decrease in crime, a slow decrease in poverty, infill development, the skyline, several huge projects on the table, etc. etc.

Nearly all cities over 1 million have improved, but I don't see any others that outdo Philadelphia in the improvement factor. I already consider NYC, LA and Chicago to be on their game, so leaving it between the others, its clearly Philadelphia. (Downtown LA has improved a lot too though).

The city still has a lot of problems that need time to alleviate, but Philadelphia has the potential to grow as one of America's premier cities, and its really started to gain momentum on that potential over the past decade. The bones are already in place, so that helps too.
In addition to Philadelphia, I could nominate Camden as an honorable mention for the >250k category. It's no where in the same range as cities in its population, but it's taken numerous strides to the point where it's shattered the "America's Dangerous City" image.

Yup, and neighborhoods with crime and blight such as fishtown have now become "it" neighborhoods, 10 years ago that would've been seen as satire. Slowly but surely Port Richmond is seeing its own rebirth, Harrowgate at an even slower rate than the former two. I'm looking forward to seeing Philadelphia in 2030.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I second Philadelphia.

(edit, Philadelphia also has the most potential for continued improvement of the American cities over 1M. Whether that potential is fulfilled or not is largely left up to the city's leadership...which worries me.)
Nice... accurate, fully explained. I personally really like Philadelphia as a city. Didn't know about the success their having with their culinary scene though I think that's pretty nice. I wouldnt mind living in the area also. My only gripe with the city itself are the rowhouses. Could you imagine if the city had went with their own spin of victorian houses. This article did show me however that rowhouse style could actually look very pleasant.

https://pahistoricpreservation.com/rethinking-the-row-
house/

Old 06-09-2020, 07:38 PM

10,760 posts, read 23,870,173 times
My pick would be Denver. It's filled in a lot of parking lots downtown with residential density. The Union Station brownfield development created a whole new urban neighborhood abutting LoDo. It's added a impressive amount of mass transit infrastructure. The downtown and surrounding neighborhoods seem to have more pulse and vibrancy. The city has long been known for craft beer and that's exploded over the last decade. Denver use to be a pretty unremarkable food city, but that's improved a lot too in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City