Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 01:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Honorable mentions: Charlotte, Huntsville, Salt Lake City, Boston
I'd also add Madison and the NW Arkansas region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 01:02 PM

613 posts, read 327,024 times
Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Chattanooga.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:49 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd also add Madison and the NW Arkansas region.
Forgot NWA. Some of these have been changing before the last decade. Others really just started in the past five years.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Forgot NWA. Some of these have been changing before the last decade. Others really just started in the past five years.
Yes this is true. I was thinking Wal-Mart's new corporate campus in downtown Bentonville had already been built as it was proposed a few years ago but it hasn't broken geound yet. But there seems to have been some great cultural additions to the town within the past decade that has driven an increasing share of the region's growth to Bentonville.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Detroit has vastly improved over the past decade, it’s like night and day. There is still a long way to go but it’s future hasn’t looked this bright in over 50 years.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Detroit has vastly improved over the past decade, it’s like night and day. There is still a long way to go but it’s future hasn’t looked this bright in over 50 years.
I agree. Hopefully the current economic crisis will not cause Detroit to relapse. The first thing I would expect people to save on is a new car.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:22 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Chicago was once a dirty run down city even in its core. The city has developed billions in commercial office space since 2010. Neighborhoods around the loop are expanding, becoming mixed use developments and more affordable than some other large cities. For all of its population loss, crime, etc. you would think it was dead the way it is usually described.

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/high...nstruction-map

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...s-loop-booming

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/6/24...t-demographics
I don't see how Chicago makes the list of "most improved" cities in the last decade. It was already 'great' in terms of a vibrant business and entertainment downtown along with several strong core, shoulder neighborhoods. And as someone who visited Chicago several times yearly in the early 2000s into the 2000-teens, I can tell you that strong growth into formerly downtrodden areas like South Loop and the near West Side was already well under way by 2010.

The articles you note talk about the growth in new skyscrapers in the Loop. But Chicago, for well over a half century, has been THE city of super tall, super sexy skyscrapers. The fact they're getting more is really the rich getting richer and not what I would consider a sign of improvement. Plus the gist of your other 2 articles actually tend to undercut your argument -- that is, Chicago already had one of, if not the, highest racial segregation rate of any American big city, and that the growth of the Loop economy, esp in terms of tech jobs and an a greater educated workforce -- even eclipsing Chicagoland suburbs -- is opening the fissure of economic segregation leading to greater racial segregation.

If anything, I would say that given the very high, very visible increase in the murder rate (some dubbing it as "the Murder Capital of the US" although this has been happily declining in the last year or so) and greater drug/gang infiltration of wide swaths of the south and west sides of the city, an argument could be made that Chicago is regressing on a number of levels... Still it is, as it has been for many, many decades, one of the most vibrant, exciting cities in this nation (and in many ways, on the face of the earth) ...

... depending on which parts of the city you visit, that is.

Last edited by TheProf; 06-13-2020 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-13-2020, 02:48 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I agree. Hopefully the current economic crisis will not cause Detroit to relapse. The first thing I would expect people to save on is a new car.
I agree as well. Detroit is changing for the better.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:41 PM

613 posts, read 327,024 times
Detroit will never really be down for the count. Great Lakes will be important in the future. Fresh water and global warming will make the Great Lakes boom like the Sun Belt before this century is over.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:33 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Detroit is making major strides, esp Downtown and close in neighborhoods like Midtown, Indian Village (now, I guess, referred to as the Villages) and New Center. The amount of new and repurposed buildings downtown dedicated to residential (apts/condos), hotels and retail is staggering. Bustling foot-traffic downtown, once a light trickle, even during weekdays, is now the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City