Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia v. Phoenix
Philadelphia 78 65.00%
Phoenix 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 PM

53 posts, read 49,136 times

Advertisements

Phoenix population 1,729,508 (250,000 illegals)
Philadelphia population 1,585,010 (50,000 illegals)

Phoenix metropolitan population 4,584,000
Philadelphia metropolitan population 5,717,000
----------------------------------------------------
Which place is better? Well that varies from person to person due to climates, weather, demographic preferences and entertainment. But food gives Philadelphia the upper hand. Philly Steak subs are well renown. Phoenix doesn't have it's own cuisines. Mexican "food" is regional from New Mexico to Southern California, not exclusively an Arizona or Phoenix thing. The food is alright but all of our hot spots are Italian food stores with Chicago origins or Philadelphia. Such stores Philly Affairs, Corleone's Philly Steaks and Pizza are just two of Phoenix's most iconic restaurants.

Sardella's Pizza and Wings bring Italian flavor to Phoenix. But once again Chicago and Phoenix is home base for that.
I like Phoenix weather more than Philadelphia and the landscape more, far more. But Philadelphia is a stronger city. Much of our strength in numbers come from being by the border. Philadelphia is experiencing TRUE DEVELOPMENT IN GROWTH.

Phoenix actual legal population is about 1,479,508
Philadelphia is 1,535,010 without illegals

Philadelphia is really the bigger city and they are NOT suffering cultural invasion hurting local politics unlike Phoenix, Arizona.

Phoenix seen SIGNIFICANT foreclosures like 51 PERCENT!
[Drilling down to the metro level, in looking at the major metros with a population greater than 1 million, the top 10 metros that saw month-over-month increases in foreclosure starts were: Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI (up 189 percent); Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN (up 111 percent); Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL (up 109 percent); Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA (up 68 percent); Rochester, NY (up 64 percent); Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL (up 56 percent); Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ (up 51 percent);

Philadelphia has significant DECREASES in Foreclosures.
[And, the top 10 major metros with a population greater than 1 million that saw month-over-month decreases in foreclosure starts were: New Orleans-Metairie, LA (down 36 percent); Pittsburgh, PA (down 36 percent); Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV (down 34 percent); Salt Lake City, UT (down 33 percent); Philadelphia ]

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-pa-population

https://www.usapopulation.org/phoenix-population/

Phoenix hit hard by foreclosures but opposite in Philadelphia https://www.attomdata.com/news/marke...losure-starts/

Last edited by Deerhound; 01-27-2021 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Left out link on foreclosures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 08:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
It might not be the driving factor, but it's definitely a major consideration for many. There is very strong science to suggest that humans have a hard-wired draw to the ocean, thus why beach houses and island living is so coveted by millions of people across the country/world. Philadelphians love the beach, and tens of thousands of us rent beach houses in large groups of singles for the entire summer (going down just about every weekend all summer, and for some, living down there all summer if their jobs allow for it). As a child my family vacationed at Jersey beaches a few weeks every summer. Then in college I lifeguarded at a beach down there each summer, and now I make several visits each summer. Beyond sun, sand, surf and ocean breezes, there is a great social scene from May through September. The wealthier don't rent, but rather own beach homes, but make no mistake, the beach is a big part of many Philadelphians' lives.
Agreed. Beaches fall under the umbrella of outdoor recreation, which is something that many find important. If Phoenix can get points for its great hiking (which it should), then Philly should get points for its beach proximity.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:34 AM

457 posts, read 348,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Agreed. Beaches fall under the umbrella of outdoor recreation, which is something that many find important. If Phoenix can get points for its great hiking (which it should), then Philly should get points for its beach proximity.
Is that truly apples to apples though? There is great hiking right in the city of Phoenix, not 60 miles away.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:11 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhound View Post
Phoenix population 1,729,508 (250,000 illegals)
Philadelphia population 1,585,010 (50,000 illegals)

Phoenix metropolitan population 4,584,000
Philadelphia metropolitan population 5,717,000

----------------------------------------------------
I'll let someone else address the rest of the post.

But Phoenix city population has not hit 1.7M yet (as of data). And Philadelphia metro is 6.1M and Phoenix is 4.8M for both MSA and CSA.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:59 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'll let someone else address the rest of the post.

But Phoenix city population has not hit 1.7M yet (as of data). And Philadelphia metro is 6.1M and Phoenix is 4.8M for both MSA and CSA.
2019 estimates for both cities' MSA and CSA

Philadelphia MSA: 6,102,434
Phoenix MSA: 4,948,203

Philadelphia CSA: 7,209,620
Phoenix CSA is 5,002,221

Old 01-28-2021, 08:57 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Is that truly apples to apples though? There is great hiking right in the city of Phoenix, not 60 miles away.
No, I think it's a stretch. As someone who loves hiking and mountain biking, if you told me to move to a city where the central core is an hour, without traffic as it sounds, from the closest adequate destination for my favorite activities I'd decline.

If a strong beach culture is what I'm after Philly isn't on my short list of places to live.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:10 AM

19 posts, read 9,041 times
QOL: This is where it ultimately comes down for me. My aunt lives in Phoenix after her allergist recommend her move there from Philly to improve her breathing. As someone who suffers with asthma that worsens with severe seasonal allergies, I'd pick Phoenix by a hair.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:21 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
No, I think it's a stretch. As someone who loves hiking and mountain biking, if you told me to move to a city where the central core is an hour, without traffic as it sounds, from the closest adequate destination for my favorite activities I'd decline.

If a strong beach culture is what I'm after Philly isn't on my short list of places to live.
That's legit, if that's what you prioritize. But for most, outdoor recreational activities are pretty far down the list of priorities, particularly for those with limited recreation time in general.

But again, even if Philly admittedly won't be able to compete with Phoenix for proximate, super rugged hiking/mountain biking, it still offers plenty of outdoor recreational activities of an East Coast/4-season climate flavor.

And if we're basing recreational access on proximity, no one's confusing Philadelphia with Miami, but it's unarguably far more beach-accessible than Phoenix.

To each their own.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's legit, if that's what you prioritize. But for most, outdoor recreational activities are pretty far down the list of priorities, particularly for those with limited recreation time in general.

But again, even if Philly admittedly won't be able to compete with Phoenix for proximate, super rugged hiking/mountain biking, it still offers plenty of outdoor recreational activities of an East Coast/4-season climate flavor.

And if we're basing recreational access on proximity, no one's confusing Philadelphia with Miami, but it's unarguably far more beach-accessible than Phoenix.

To each their own.
That's fair but I don't see it as apples to apples in that the diversity and amount of outdoor spots isn't on the same level. Since this thread is keen on looping in things within 70 or so miles of the city center, I'll add that within a similar drive Phoenix has more variety and conducive weather to enjoy your time outdoors, including the aforementioned 4 season weather.

No doubt, Philly has access to a beach that is much closer than Phoenix has but for a good chunk of the year the weather there makes beach trips not very appealing. While you have to travel farther to a beach from Phoenix the weather and temperature makes it more enjoyable for a longer part of the year. At least that's my preference for visiting the beach.

Last edited by locolife; 01-28-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 01:14 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I disagree that it's a stretch. Denver is probably the most popular destination for people that are into mountain recreation, and yet the rockies are >60 miles away from downtown Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City