Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia v. Phoenix
Philadelphia 78 65.00%
Phoenix 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 04:16 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
The beaches at Long Island are less developed and more scenic than the beaches at New Jersey. Since Long Island is part of the Outer Lands geological region, along with Block Island, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, there is greater topographical variation at Long Island beaches relative to New Jersey beaches. Additionally, New York appears to have more protected shoreline areas than New Jersey due to significantly less commercialization. For example, there are very boardwalks and piers at New York beaches, especially at the East End and North Shore of Long Island, and motor vehicles are prohibited in certain shoreline areas, such as Fire Island National Seashore.

I have never visited any of the Atlantic Ocean beaches at Maryland, so I cannot comment on beaches there. However, the nearby Delaware beaches appear to be cleaner and more vibrant than many New Jersey beaches, largely due to significantly newer development.
And significantly less development.

I haven't seen the center of Ocean City, Maryland, but the north end of Maryland's one beach resort town is one high-rise beachside condo after another right up to the Delaware state line at about 145th Street, where they abruptly end.

No Delaware beach town has apartment towers as tall as these right by the sea. I'm not even sure local zoning allows them.

But in comparison to New Jersey, the big difference is also the level of development. Aside from Strathmere and three parks (one Federal, two state), the Jersey shore is densely developed from the south end of the Federal park at Sandy Hook all the way to Cape May (again, with the exception of Island Beach State Park just below Seaside Park). And with the exception of AC, all of that development consists of houses and small-town-style commercial districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 05:53 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Phoenix , well myself and a lot of others consider the whole valley Phoenix . I’ve only been to philly for a short time and to me, it’s old and junky. Some small pockets may have charm and history , but I prefer new build areas which greater Phoenix has a lot of. It has plenty of nightlife, arts and museums, of course the outdoor recreation wins without question, more opportunities for jobs , col isn’t too high , unlimited food options. The main crime area is west of I17 . Just a cool place with no BS winter miserableness.
When we were driving to our hotel from the Phoenix airport, we saw someone smoking meth on a flattened cardboard box by an interstate offramp.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:20 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Phoenix , well myself and a lot of others consider the whole valley Phoenix . I’ve only been to philly for a short time and to me, it’s old and junky. Some small pockets may have charm and history , but I prefer new build areas which greater Phoenix has a lot of. It has plenty of nightlife, arts and museums, of course the outdoor recreation wins without question, more opportunities for jobs , col isn’t too high , unlimited food options. The main crime area is west of I17 . Just a cool place with no BS winter miserableness.
Preference for weather and built environment is fine, but...

From my experience, Phoenix does not have more opportunities for jobs, unless you are referring to a very specific industry.

Phoenix has a very present crime problem & homeless population (not just W of I17). Lets not call out one without the other.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:43 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

From my experience, Phoenix does not have more opportunities for jobs, unless you are referring to a very specific industry.

Phoenix has a very present crime problem & homeless population (not just W of I17). Lets not call out one without the other.
What exactly is your experience?

New Wallethub report this year says something different:

2021 Best Cities For Jobs

6. Scottsdale
13. Chandler
32. Tempe
33. Gilbert
52. Peoria
56. Glendale
57. Mesa
74. Phoenix

152. Philadelphia

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173

Old 02-01-2021, 06:59 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
When we were driving to our hotel from the Phoenix airport, we saw someone smoking meth on a flattened cardboard box by an interstate offramp.

And... as if you don't see drug use by homeless in every big city? I've had to walk around needles on the streets in cities I've visited before.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:

Jobs: AZLiam already covered that being inaccurate
Crime: Philly has higher rates of violent crime, murder, rape, robbery and assault.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-02-2021 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 08:35 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What exactly is your experience?

New Wallethub report this year says something different:

2021 Best Cities For Jobs

6. Scottsdale
13. Chandler
32. Tempe
33. Gilbert
52. Peoria
56. Glendale
57. Mesa
74. Phoenix

152. Philadelphia

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173
Philadelphia has one of the largest most diverse economies in North America, Phoenix has a strong and growing economy, but significantly smaller and more limited in its offerings. So no I don't think there are more opportunities in Phoenix than in Philadelphia, unless its some specific industry unique to Phoenix. I am including city+metro in my statement (fyi)

I have background in construction, engineering and law.

And lets not use Wallethub as our source or reckoning...Thats all I have to say on the clickbait link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Jobs: AZLiam already covered that being inaccurate
Crime: Philly has higher rates of violent crime, murder, rape, robbery and assault.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I never said Philadelphia didn't have worse crime (that link is a sad score both cities). I SAID, don't call out one and not the other. Phoenix also has a crime problem, and both fail in this category so its a moot comparison.

If you zoom out to the metro regions, the Philadelphia metro region is overall safer if you measure every metric of crime. (although you can live happily and safely in either region, I am just pointing out the details since my original point when over your head).

Last edited by Yac; 02-02-2021 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 08:40 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
And... as if you don't see drug use by homeless in every big city? I've had to walk around needles on the streets in cities I've visited before.
I don't actually think that drug addicts getting high by limited access highway exits are representative of Phoenix. I was trying to make a point in response to popwar's equally uninformed "old and junky" comment.

I would be curious to know what cities you're visiting (and the neighborhoods you've frequented), because while I've certainly seen public drug use, I can't say that I have ever had to walk around used syringes.

The funny thing is that my law school friend from the Phoenix area, who is very much pro-Phoenix and not the biggest fan of Philly, says that old construction often sells at a premium in Phoenix. We own a 95-year-old house, and while it's been maintained very well over the years, it definitely has its downsides (small rooms, no closet space, and a leaky basement to name a few). But I still prefer older construction overall. Labor and materials are simply much more expensive today, since you can't pay kids a nickel a day to haul rocks from the quarry anymore. Unless you're willing to fork over a ton of cash, new construction is just so much shoddier-looking.

Quote:
And lets not use Wallethub as our source or reckoning...Thats all I have to say on the clickbait link...
+1

That said, it appears that greater Phoenix's major companies are very sprawled out. Granted, Philly suffers the same problem with its corporate heavy-hitters, although that's starting to improve somewhat.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:09 AM

994 posts, read 966,924 times
Quote:

There is definetly a homeless problem , but I've seen worse. If I was homeless I would rather do it somewhere warm like Phoenix or South FL. The industry I was referring to is IT and the tech sector.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:36 AM

157 posts, read 137,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I disagree that it's a stretch. Denver is probably the most popular destination for people that are into mountain recreation, and yet the rockies are >60 miles away from downtown Denver.
You're just talking about the "14'ers". Only a tiny amount of people hike those mountains which are >60 miles away. What we call the "foothills" here is the equivalent or better to the Santa Monica mountain range, and can be reached by most denverites in 30 minutes or less.

I can be in Boulder in exactly 35 minutes and be on one of the hundreds of incredible trails there, and Boulder is much further than Golden or Evergreen.

Anyways, my vote goes to Pheonix. A brand new home with a pool, call me crazy, but appeals to me more than a rowhouse and getting stabbed/robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City