Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia v. Phoenix
Philadelphia 78 65.00%
Phoenix 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 09:59 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,743,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's because over 35% of Phoenix is uninhabited due to mountains and desert preserves that are inside the city limits. The density of the inhabited parts of the city is around 5,800ppsm, which is around half the density of Philadelphia

Do you have a source for that FC? I'm curious if it's tracked over time in particular and by zip code would be interesting to see. The area in/around downtown Phoenix and Tempe has to be adding density at a good clip now, although I never expect it to get to Northeast levels as that is just not how we roll around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,638,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Do you have a source for that FC? I'm curious if it's tracked over time in particular and by zip code would be interesting to see. The area in/around downtown Phoenix and Tempe has to be adding density at a good clip now, although I never expect it to get to Northeast levels as that is just not how we roll around here.
I looked at all the Zip codes north downtown and below about Pinnacle Peak in the city limits

Old 01-21-2021, 03:15 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,997,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
As someone who drives a truck, I will say your city is not truck friendly at all. I'm working in your neck of the woods now, and had to deliver cement powder to the job site at the LaBrea tar pits yesterday (have to go back today), and getting from the 10 over there and back is a PITA. Thank God I'm getting paid bank at this job, makes it worth it
As someone who only drives a car, I will say that what you truck drivers can do with a truck is pretty amazing! I see truck drivers back into alleys faster and easier than most car drivers would.

Were you delivering to the under construction Metro D line station job site across the street from the tar pits? If so, thank you for helping build out our rail system.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,638,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
As someone who only drives a car, I will say that what you truck drivers can do with a truck is pretty amazing! I see truck drivers back into alleys faster and easier than most car drivers would.

Were you delivering to the under construction Metro D line station job site across the street from the tar pits? If so, thank you for helping build out our rail system.
The site is on the north side of Wilshire, just east of the tar pits

Had an easier day today, only had to take two loads to CEMEX Fontana

Old 01-21-2021, 04:16 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,322,661 times
COL: Phoenix (Philadelphia is getting pricey. 500k does not buy you much anymore in terms of a Single Family Home)

QOL: Philadelphia. Better K - 12 system and higher overall GDP/Wealth per Capita

Suburbs: Philadelphia. Less monotonous, more walkable and better transit access

Geographic Proximity: Philadelphia

Transportation: Tie. Philadelphia for transit. Phoenix wins for Highways.

K-12: Philadelphia. The City schools are not the best, but the suburban schools are some of the best in the nation.

Higher Eds: Philadelphia. UPenn, Villanova, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, UDel, Princeton. (Princeton is only 45 minutes from Center City).

Economy: Toss up. Philadelphia is the larger economy. Phoenix is the faster growing one.

Arts/Culture: Philadelphia. Although Phoenix has a solid scene.

Things to do: Philadelphia.

Shopping: Phoenix for high end chains. Philadelphia for high end boutiques.

Sports: Philadelphia

Food/Cuisine: Philadelphia has more variety overall and why it pulls ahead. Phoenix has a strong Hispanic food scene though.

Outdoors: Philadelphia. But this is by preference. Some like the desert mountains and hiking. Others like the beach. I prefer the beach.

Climate: Philadelphia. But all down to preference. I prefer 4 seasons over desert heat.

Crime: Phoenix has lower violent crime. But higher property crime overall. But still wins this one.

Downtowns: Philadelphia by a landslide

Scenery: Personal preference. I prefer the lush green so I give it to Philadelphia.

Most success in next decade: Probably Phoenix for growth. Probably Philadelphia for moving beyond being the "underdog city of the NE".

Favorite thing about Phoenix: Scottsdale. Beautiful area. I enjoy it.

Favorite thing about Philadelphia: History and beautiful stone and brick architecture.

Least favorite thing about Phoenix: Summer heat and the monotonous suburban developments. It all kind of looks the same, even in the suburbs.

Least favorite thing about Philadelphia: The suburbs are great overall. Center City and outlying neighborhoods are beautiful. Some of the outlying city neighborhoods are definitely gritty. (hence the mascot).

Old 01-23-2021, 12:02 AM

85 posts, read 59,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
COL: Phoenix (Philadelphia is getting pricey. 500k does not buy you much anymore in terms of a Single Family Home)

QOL: Philadelphia. Better K - 12 system and higher overall GDP/Wealth per Capita

Suburbs: Philadelphia. Less monotonous, more walkable and better transit access

Geographic Proximity: Philadelphia

Transportation: Tie. Philadelphia for transit. Phoenix wins for Highways.

K-12: Philadelphia. The City schools are not the best, but the suburban schools are some of the best in the nation.

Higher Eds: Philadelphia. UPenn, Villanova, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, UDel, Princeton. (Princeton is only 45 minutes from Center City).

Economy: Toss up. Philadelphia is the larger economy. Phoenix is the faster growing one.

Arts/Culture: Philadelphia. Although Phoenix has a solid scene.

Things to do: Philadelphia.

Shopping: Phoenix for high end chains. Philadelphia for high end boutiques.

Sports: Philadelphia

Food/Cuisine: Philadelphia has more variety overall and why it pulls ahead. Phoenix has a strong Hispanic food scene though.

Outdoors: Philadelphia. But this is by preference. Some like the desert mountains and hiking. Others like the beach. I prefer the beach.

Climate: Philadelphia. But all down to preference. I prefer 4 seasons over desert heat.

Crime: Phoenix has lower violent crime. But higher property crime overall. But still wins this one.

Downtowns: Philadelphia by a landslide

Scenery: Personal preference. I prefer the lush green so I give it to Philadelphia.

Most success in next decade: Probably Phoenix for growth. Probably Philadelphia for moving beyond being the "underdog city of the NE".

Favorite thing about Phoenix: Scottsdale. Beautiful area. I enjoy it.

Favorite thing about Philadelphia: History and beautiful stone and brick architecture.

Least favorite thing about Phoenix: Summer heat and the monotonous suburban developments. It all kind of looks the same, even in the suburbs.

Least favorite thing about Philadelphia: The suburbs are great overall. Center City and outlying neighborhoods are beautiful. Some of the outlying city neighborhoods are definitely gritty. (hence the mascot).
That’s a pretty bias list/

Old 01-23-2021, 08:10 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,322,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny57 View Post
That’s a pretty bias list/
How is it biased? I gave both cities credit where it is due.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,997,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
How is it biased? I gave both cities credit where it is due.
I pretty much agree with your list. I like Phoenix's suburbs and think that I would prefer them, but I don't know enough about Philadelphia's to say for sure.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:20 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,617,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I pretty much agree with your list. I like Phoenix's suburbs and think that I would prefer them, but I don't know enough about Philadelphia's to say for sure.
In a way, Phoenix really doesn't have suburbs in the traditional sense, as its urban area is so uniform, with notable "nodes" of density/development in the cities of Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe. That's a much more Western US style of development, which I'm sure you'd be more accustomed to as an Angeleno.

Philadelphia has what you'd refer to as very traditional, Eastern US suburbs, which tend to be far less dense than the urban core, and developed historically because of rail lines. You'll find a slew of village-style towns with tree-lined streets in the inner-suburbs, which transition to more bucolic horse-and-farmstead countryside interspersed with subdivisions.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 AM

463 posts, read 354,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
In a way, Phoenix really doesn't have suburbs in the traditional sense, as its urban area is so uniform, with notable "nodes" of density/development in the cities of Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe. That's a much more Western US style of development, which I'm sure you'd be more accustomed to as an Angeleno.
I think this is because Phoenix and it's suburbs all grew up at the same time, under the philosophies of automotive dependent planning. They all started competing for the same tax bases at the same time vs. legacy city suburbs that started siphoning tax bases away from the core after the automobile made them less attractive. I think it's why a lot of sunbelt suburbs tend to be more attractive than legacy burbs because they are more strategically planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City