Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia v. Phoenix
Philadelphia 78 65.00%
Phoenix 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 03:17 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I disagree that it's a stretch. Denver is probably the most popular destination for people that are into mountain recreation, and yet the rockies are >60 miles away from downtown Denver.
Are we saying the Jersey Shore is to beaches as the Rockies are to mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 04:03 PM

403 posts, read 297,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Are we saying the Jersey Shore is to beaches as the Rockies are to mountains?
No one is saying that.

There are some very nice Jersey beaches. It gets a bad rap, largely due to Atlantic City.

But the likes of Ocean City, New Jersey I would argue is one of the top 5 beach towns on the East Coast, given its family friendly charm and vibrancy.

Of course, being located in the Mid Atlantic, no one is traveling to beaches in the Winter.

But as another poster noted, Beach culture is very much a part of Philadelphia.

The New Jersey beaches are within the Philadelphia metro.

It is no further than the drive, from Queen Creek to Goodyear in Phoenix.

From May to September Philadelphia can many times feel empty on the weekends, because so many people go downdashore.

Day trips to the shore (only an hour drive and less for the Eastern suburbs, some as little as 30 minutes) are a major part of Philadelphia culture and life.

Again this back and forth is silly.

Phoenix comes out ahead with hiking culture. (Although Philadelphia has the Poconos less than two hours to the North).

And Philadelphia comes ahead for water/beach culture.

Although just like it was stated people do not go to the beach in the winter.

In the summer, many are not going hiking in Phoenix with 110 degree temps.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
No one is saying that. Okay, I can't why the rocky mountains we're brought into this either.

There are some very nice Jersey beaches. It gets a bad rap, largely due to Atlantic City.

But the likes of Ocean City, New Jersey I would argue is one of the top 5 beach towns on the East Coast, given its family friendly charm and vibrancy.

Of course, being located in the Mid Atlantic, no one is traveling to beaches in the Winter.

But as another poster noted, Beach culture is very much a part of Philadelphia.

The New Jersey beaches are within the Philadelphia metro.

It is no further than the drive, from Queen Creek to Goodyear in Phoenix.

From May to September Philadelphia can many times feel empty on the weekends, because so many people go downdashore.

Day trips to the shore (only an hour drive and less for the Eastern suburbs, some as little as 30 minutes) are a major part of Philadelphia culture and life.

Again this back and forth is silly.

Phoenix comes out ahead with hiking culture. (Although Philadelphia has the Poconos less than two hours to the North).

And Philadelphia comes ahead for water/beach culture.

Although just like it was stated people do not go to the beach in the winter.

In the summer, many are not going hiking in Phoenix with 110 degree temps.
Sorry mate, just not seeing it. And I agree, it's pretty silly going back/forth, I won't be posting about it again. I do not disagree that Philadelphia has a beach within a road trip distance but don't see it as a beach city. You can google beach cities all day long and PHX or Philly do not come up, you will find road trip options to beaches from both cities.

IMO the Phoenix area comes out ahead considering total outdoor access/adventures when you combine the amount, variety, weather and geography. There's water, including lakes and beaches, within what most people consider reasonable road trip distance of both cities, neither one is directly on a beach. Here are multiple top outdoor city lists which back up what I'm saying.

https://www.rei.com/blog/news/new-an...o-the-outdoors
https://www.moving.com/tips/the-15-m...es-in-the-u-s/

What Philly wins at is river access, that's what you have directly in the city and Phoenix does not. And the rowing tradition and culture felt very strong there to me, as I watched countless crews going down the Schuylkill. I've never been for the famous Regatta but that would be something to see.

When it's 110 in Phoenix we avid hikers go out in the morning or at night, night time outdoors is great in the dry desert air. Or within the same driving range we're back/forthing about here you can be in Payson, Preskitt, Flagstaff or others... where you're in the forest and it's 20-30 degrees cooler. As for skiing, I actually went earlier this week after a 63" dump at SnowBowl. Pretty solid hill with over 2,000' dropped per run. Good spot if you're ever in the area and wanting to ski.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3261...!7i5376!8i2688

Last edited by locolife; 01-29-2021 at 08:11 AM..

Old 01-30-2021, 08:18 AM

313 posts, read 338,033 times
Not all Philly streets are paved in gold but sometimes some are . I love the 4 seasons in the very urban Philadelphia . See attached video .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ObdkAKtsghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jF5nAQYBg

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 01-30-2021 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-30-2021, 09:09 AM

2,567 posts, read 3,636,601 times
Philadelphia on the majority of criteria. Just a much better, vibrant, cultural, historical city. Philly by a longshot. I will give Phoenix weather, but barely.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:42 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,072,054 times
NJ beaches are okay. I wouldn't go out of my way for them the way I would for Maine, Mass, NC, FL, SC beaches are.. but they are still nice to have in proximity. I think ive been to every beach in NJ except for Barnegat. My favorites are Avalon, LBI and Stone Harbor. As well as Cape May. Belmar adnd Brigatine are good too.

NJ definitely has the best beaches in the mid-Atlantic, definitely blows LI and MD out of the water.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:17 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,323,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
NJ beaches are okay. I wouldn't go out of my way for them the way I would for Maine, Mass, NC, FL, SC beaches are.. but they are still nice to have in proximity. I think ive been to every beach in NJ except for Barnegat. My favorites are Avalon, LBI and Stone Harbor. As well as Cape May. Belmar adnd Brigatine are good too.

NJ definitely has the best beaches in the mid-Atlantic, definitely blows LI and MD out of the water.

I agree 100%. For the Mid Atlantic, Jersey has the best beaches. Most people who experience Jersey beaches who are outsiders only really know about Atlantic City, which is a shame.

Because the Jersey Shore really has some quaint very nice and charming beach towns. The ones you mentioned, are all very nice.

I highly recommend checking out Starthmere if you never have been. It is absolutely gorgeous. Asbury Park also has really gotten quite nice too the past ten years.

It helps with Asbury you have direct rail service from NYC and It is still fairly close to Philadelphia, so it pulls in a nice crowd.

I also personally prefer the Mid Atlantic beaches in the summer. Florida, NC and SC beaches are too humid for my liking in the summer.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:35 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,727,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

The beaches at Long Island are less developed and more scenic than the beaches at New Jersey. Since Long Island is part of the Outer Lands geological region, along with Block Island, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, there is greater topographical variation at Long Island beaches relative to New Jersey beaches. Additionally, New York appears to have more protected shoreline areas than New Jersey due to significantly less commercialization. For example, there are very boardwalks and piers at New York beaches, especially at the East End and North Shore of Long Island, and motor vehicles are prohibited in certain shoreline areas, such as Fire Island National Seashore.

I have never visited any of the Atlantic Ocean beaches at Maryland, so I cannot comment on beaches there. However, the nearby Delaware beaches appear to be cleaner and more vibrant than many New Jersey beaches, largely due to significantly newer development.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:03 PM

19 posts, read 9,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
The beaches at Long Island are less developed and more scenic than the beaches at New Jersey. Since Long Island is part of the Outer Lands geological region, along with Block Island, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, there is greater topographical variation at Long Island beaches relative to New Jersey beaches. Additionally, New York appears to have more protected shoreline areas than New Jersey due to significantly less commercialization. For example, there are very boardwalks and piers at New York beaches, especially at the East End and North Shore of Long Island, and motor vehicles are prohibited in certain shoreline areas, such as Fire Island National Seashore.

I have never visited any of the Atlantic Ocean beaches at Maryland, so I cannot comment on beaches there. However, the nearby Delaware beaches appear to be cleaner and more vibrant than many New Jersey beaches, largely due to significantly newer development.
OCMD for me over all NJ beaches NOT named 'Wildwood'. The only drawback for me is the boardwalk, it can certainly see some improvement. Wildwood is an amazing beach city, I've taken plenty day trips where I didn't even touch the beach because there's so much to do on the Boardwalk alone!

Old 01-31-2021, 09:04 PM

994 posts, read 972,023 times
Phoenix , well myself and a lot of others consider the whole valley Phoenix . I’ve only been to philly for a short time and to me, it’s old and junky. Some small pockets may have charm and history , but I prefer new build areas which greater Phoenix has a lot of. It has plenty of nightlife, arts and museums, of course the outdoor recreation wins without question, more opportunities for jobs , col isn’t too high , unlimited food options. The main crime area is west of I17 . Just a cool place with no BS winter miserableness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City