Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 12:07 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm calling b.s. on this survey regarding the California cities listed (especially LA & San Fran).

Why?

Because both have had, & continue to have large net domestic migration outflows of Hundreds of Thousands in 2023.

How can a MSA be desireable if more people are leaving, than coming?

LA lost 195,000 in '21, followed up by losing 155,000 in '22.

This link shows a map of the whole USA color coded to see where people are moving out of, & in to:

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...fted-map-1.jpg
Take a closer look at the map you posted? Do you see all the migration nextdoor to the Inland Empire? It’s always near the top of MSAs with the largest population increases. I doubt this is coming from people moving into California to live in a exurb of Los Angeles? Don’t confuse affordability with desirability

Old 07-24-2023, 06:55 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
And lots of people coming to Taos are leaving Austin / Dallas - looking for a little more natural pace, less corporate grind, commoditization, and freedom for living life however they want to - getting out of the overlordship of their corporate republican masters.

I think the thing lots of people are missing is there's lots of people looking for something more human scale than a big metro - and those places aren't generally on these lists (though Eugene and Savannah could count). Even within the metros, the push has been the local town center, not downtown.
Never heard of Taos.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:56 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I certainly believe your experience, but Austin has fallen quite a bit in USNWRs Places to Live Ranking---I think it has to do with rising COL--hopefully COL will go down there(and really everywhere else tbh)
Yeah COL is high in Austin. But it's funny how much that city just came up out of the blue and like everyone wants to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Eh, a popular city at the moment, but "most people" is quite the generalization...
Its an exaggerated expression.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:56 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Never heard of Taos.
Taos New Mexico I'm guessing.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:32 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Don’t confuse affordability with desirability
Affordability is desirable. Think of it this way: expensive place seeing high out-migration means that people don't think it's worth it to live there.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:51 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Look, I have fond memories of Myrtle Beach as I have long golfed and vacationed there because it's inexpensive.

That said, It still looks very blighted in many areas, and the crime rate is about 3x the national average. I think it needs another decade of cleanup

Old 07-24-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotweatherlover1982 View Post
Minneapolis is the 18th most violent city in America. Extremely high violent crime rates.

Minneapolis also is a very expensive city thanks to very high property tax rates.

Minnesota has extremely high income taxes and Minneapolis has very high property taxes.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-mo...143951308.html
Lived in the Twin Cities for 20+ years and still have roots there. No doubt in my mind the city is going downhill. They stepped too far into the woke category and people are taking notice. Then you have the high taxes and above average crime.

No doubt the city is highly educated, generally healthy, and amazing parks and trails that are underrated IMHO.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:46 AM

1,347 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Lived in the Twin Cities for 20+ years and still have roots there. No doubt in my mind the city is going downhill. They stepped too far into the woke category and people are taking notice. Then you have the high taxes and above average crime.

No doubt the city is highly educated, generally healthy, and amazing parks and trails that are underrated IMHO.
How is the city going downhill if the crime is improving dramatically year over year since 2020?

Old 07-24-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
How is the city going downhill if the crime is improving dramatically year over year since 2020?
The politics, regardless of ones own politics, have become increasingly one sided, which is always a recipe for alienating a good portion of the population. Meaning Minneapolis is increasingly being thrown in with the Seattles and Portlands of the world.

It's also becoming known for being a high tax state/city/region. There has been a general pattern in the US of people migrating away from high tax areas in favor of lower tax regions.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:13 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
We have seven pages of conversation based on a clickbait title referencing a bogus list. That is how this works. USNWR has gained a lot of attention and discussion and more site visits than it would otherwise. That means more advertising creeping into the public forum and that translates to more $ for them. They did not provide a service or anything useful but generated controversy.

Besides the top two (ludicrous choices) we have Honolulu as #3 and Los Angeles at #4 and San Diego as #6. Four are in California. Seven in Florida. The only place in Texas is San Antonio. Fourteen are beach locations. This is a list of places to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City