Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina is better 35 61.40%
South Carolina is better 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You've never heard of Myrtle Beach?
It's a beach town! Asheville is a mountain town. I guess I should say, NC has nothing that can compete with Charleston and Myrtle Beach. But, SC still has nothing that can compete with Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:33 PM

26 posts, read 49,269 times
I have lived in NC for 18 years before moving to Columbia for the past two. I can say that NC gets major points for its cities. Lets face it, Charlotte and the triangle have a lot going for them-plenty of jobs, plenty to do, etc. Also NC has better infrastructure than SC. Where SC excels though is that it is considerably cheaper to live in-a great example of this is the gas tax. Also, SC does have Charleston for its port and southern culture and the upstate. (Even though one could consider that Wilmington and Asheville would equal out the equation between who has the better cultural centers, Charleston beating Wilmington and Asheville beating the upstate.) Since living in both, I would choose to live in Charlotte or Raleigh simply because im young and I would like to live in a more urbanized area.

BTW, Even though Columbia's skyline looks impressive, there really isn't anything else special about the place besides USC and Lake Murray. If we can finally start building ineptovista (sorry I meant Innovista ) then Cola would actually have a lot going for it. Until then the city will continue to be more bland than the surrounding metro areas.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
North Carolina. SC has myrtle beach and Charleston but thats it

Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
What's so funny about stating the obvious in that our nation by and large doesn't care about "going green" at a time when it direly needs to start heading in that direction? How many homes in that photograph are within walking distance to any sort of amenities? How many of those garages are holding SUVs? How many of those homes have rooms that are largely unfurnished yet still need to utilize exorbitant amounts of energy to heat and cool? I honestly can't wait until Americans finally WAKE UP and start shunning this sort of irresponsible development at its worst in favor of reinvigorating walkable, sustainable neighborhoods in urban areas. What is the advantage to living in a neighborhood like that over the city, anyways, especially when fuel prices will be at $7/gallon in a few years?
There is nothing wrong with suburban development. I live in the suburbs, work in the suburbs, and go downtown on the weekends. You need to also consider people with other lifestyles than your own. Older people or people with families are more likely to prefer suburbs because of cost, space, lower crime, and better schools. The inner-cities are fast filling up with single 20-somethings but the suburbs are still the domain of the family. A healthy metropolitan area will provide something for people from all walks of life, whether you want a brownstone downtown or a two-story McMansion in the suburbs with a white picket fence.

The one thing I agree with you on is SUVs. Its hard to believe after all these years they are still a "status" symbol. I understand the need for families to have a larger vehicle, but they should bring back the '80s station wagon with a modern design which would be much more fuel efficient. SUVs are really only appropriate for rural areas.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblt View Post
BTW, Even though Columbia's skyline looks impressive, there really isn't anything else special about the place besides USC and Lake Murray. If we can finally start building ineptovista (sorry I meant Innovista ) then Cola would actually have a lot going for it. Until then the city will continue to be more bland than the surrounding metro areas.
Columbia is pretty much on the same level as similarly-sized cities like Greensboro, Winston-Salem, etc. in terms of things to do. It may have a slight edge due to its state capital status. And Innovista will be a research campus, not some sort of entertainment district, so I'm not how it will help in the sense that you're talking about.

I also think it's funny that "bland" is a word that's really relative. You apply the term to Columbia, but I've heard the same applied to Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, etc. quite a few times. I'm not saying I agree (because I don't), but it's just interesting to note that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
North Carolina. SC has myrtle beach and Charleston but thats it
Not sure what you mean when you say that SC has Myrtle Beach and Charleston "but that's it." NC has no equivalents for those two, so does that mean that NC has nothing?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblt View Post
Also NC has better infrastructure than SC.
how is NC's infrastructure better?

it doesn't seem that way living in wilmington, looking at the billions of dollars of roads that were build in Myrtle Beach and Charleston, in comparison.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
how is NC's infrastructure better?
I know I didn't make this claim, but from my perspective, I think that schools and airports are better in NC. Roads is debatable, but SC has NC on ports.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
SC's beaches are way better..............

Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
North Carolina.

It's far more beautiful (the mountains are more dramatic)- NC beaches are really no different from SC (I guess SC gets the "slight" edge), and the weather is more to my liking. Charleston, SC is a more interesting city than any city in NC. I like Raleigh enough though (and Charlotte is becoming something big) - Don't you dare talk negative about Raleigh around the locals either.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 PM

116 posts, read 216,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There is nothing wrong with suburban development. I live in the suburbs, work in the suburbs, and go downtown on the weekends. You need to also consider people with other lifestyles than your own. Older people or people with families are more likely to prefer suburbs because of cost, space, lower crime, and better schools. The inner-cities are fast filling up with single 20-somethings but the suburbs are still the domain of the family. A healthy metropolitan area will provide something for people from all walks of life, whether you want a brownstone downtown or a two-story McMansion in the suburbs with a white picket fence.

The one thing I agree with you on is SUVs. Its hard to believe after all these years they are still a "status" symbol. I understand the need for families to have a larger vehicle, but they should bring back the '80s station wagon with a modern design which would be much more fuel efficient. SUVs are really only appropriate for rural areas.
There is nothing wrong with his attitude either consider that sorry but i will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City