Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina is better 35 61.40%
South Carolina is better 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:22 PM

489 posts, read 911,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok7 View Post
Nobody who doesn't live in downtown area would care about light rail anyway. There is only a small group of people who mass transit appeals to.

That has nothing to do with my post, and is incorrect to begin with. People in the suburbs use light rail on a daily basis to commute to work. NFL and NBA games... light rail is full of people from the suburbs using it to attend these events. Friday and Saturday night life.... guess what, people in the suburbs use it.

This really has nothing to do with this thread, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I prefer North Carolina. I live in NC and have spent a lot of time in South Carolina.

NC has the gorgeous mountains. Asheville is probably the best city in the Carolinas. Greenville SC gives it a run for its money, but I have to go with Asheville over Greenville because of the mountain location and the amount of breweries AVL has...it's just a more artsy-fartsy place and I'm kind of into that kind of thing. Greenville is still beautiful thojugh and I'm pretty sure Gville has a better COL than AVL.

Charleston is probably the second best city in the Carolinas IMO but it's hard to choose between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. My ex girlfriend lives in Conway and her parents in Summerville, so I spent lots of time in both metro areas. Really I wouldn't want to live in MB because of all the traffic/tourists but it sure is fun to visit. Charleston was an absolute blast every time I went. It feels so southern.

That's about it for SC IMO - Charleston, MB and Greenville. I have personally never been to Columbia I have passed through it and didn't like what I saw. It was not very aesthetically pleasing and was absurdly hot and humid. Very boring looking place.

Can't comment much on other SC cities like Anderson, Florence, Spartanburg etc as I've only passed through them on the highway.

I do love Raleigh because of the RTP and museums it has...I am an aspiring research chemist, so it's hard to dislike the RDU metro. I live in Fayetteville and hate it, never been to ILM.
Columbia isn't a bad place. You should give it another chance to make a different impression on you.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:25 PM

37 posts, read 52,192 times
Ride down Devine Street in Columbia next time you go. One of the nicest streets in America I think. The Forest Acres area is pretty nice looking too. I understand what you are saying though about the aesthetics overall.

Gervais Street and 5 points area downtown are pretty unique.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
That has nothing to do with my post, and is incorrect to begin with. People in the suburbs use light rail on a daily basis to commute to work. NFL and NBA games... light rail is full of people from the suburbs using it to attend these events. Friday and Saturday night life.... guess what, people in the suburbs use it.

This really has nothing to do with this thread, though.
Ok, well if your point is light rail is a major pro for Charlotte vs other towns, my comment is relevant b/c I don't see it that way, and many others don't see it that way. The other cities don't need light rail. Would be absurd, actually.

Not much of a NBA team either. Surprised that even gets mentioned.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I think in the several years since this thread first started it would seem from the outside looking in that South Carolina has made up some ground in terms of progress while North Carolina seems to have stumbled a bit since the Recession and has gone backwards a bit under it's new political leadership. Charleston, Greenville and Columbia seem to be booming a bit of late and statewide there seems to be more going on.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I have personally never been to Columbia I have passed through it and didn't like what I saw. It was not very aesthetically pleasing and was absurdly hot and humid. Very boring looking place.
How can you say it's not aesthetically pleasing and looks boring when you've only passed through? You only saw the typical suburbia that you'd see when passing through any city of similar size, and I'd guess you were driving along I-77 or I-26 (now I could give some leeway if you were passing through via I-20, especially west of I-77; things get a little scruffy looking in that area). Someone might say the same thing if they were passing through Winston-Salem or Greensboro without experiencing any of the great things those cities have to see and do.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:42 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Columbia isn't a bad place. You should give it another chance to make a different impression on you.
Quote:
Ride down Devine Street in Columbia next time you go. One of the nicest streets in America I think. The Forest Acres area is pretty nice looking too. I understand what you are saying though about the aesthetics overall.

Gervais Street and 5 points area downtown are pretty unique.
I will. I'll be passing through it again. I'll give it another chance. It's true I shouldn';t have blasted it having only been on an interstate. Interstates are never very pretty haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How can you say it's not aesthetically pleasing and looks boring when you've only passed through? You only saw the typical suburbia that you'd see when passing through any city of similar size, and I'd guess you were driving along I-77 or I-26 (now I could give some leeway if you were passing through via I-20, especially west of I-77; things get a little scruffy looking in that area). Someone might say the same thing if they were passing through Winston-Salem or Greensboro without experiencing any of the great things those cities have to see and do.
Looks like that is indeed where I passed - this was the route I took on my way to GA. I'll have to give it another chance some day. I'll be taking this route in the future when I go visit my dad so I'll stop in Columbia and poke around. I looked at Devine St. on Google Streetview and it was okay looking, looked like a typical southern town but I know there's a huge difference obviously from SV and real life lol.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:59 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think in the several years since this thread first started it would seem from the outside looking in that South Carolina has made up some ground in terms of progress while North Carolina seems to have stumbled a bit since the Recession and has gone backwards a bit under it's new political leadership. Charleston, Greenville and Columbia seem to be booming a bit of late and statewide there seems to be more going on.
North Carolina has exceeded South Carolina in job growth, population growth, and almost everything in between. The extent of growth that has occurred in Raleigh, Durham, and Charlotte hasn't been seen in any South Carolina city. Greenville is becoming more of a major player for South Carolina, but South Carolina's economy is relatively small compared to North Carolina and the same can be said for Charleston, Greenville, and Columbia's economy when compared to Charlotte's or Raleigh-Durham's.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Ok, well if your point is light rail is a major pro for Charlotte vs other towns, my comment is relevant b/c I don't see it that way, and many others don't see it that way. The other cities don't need light rail. Would be absurd, actually.

Not much of a NBA team either. Surprised that even gets mentioned.
Did you even read any of the posts before that? You read it completely out of context.

You watch your damn mouth about my Hornets....

Old 07-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Charlotte is basicailly South Carolina. The downtown area is not even 10 miles from the state line. Tons of Charlotte workers live in SC for the lower cost of living and taxes.

Outside of Raleigh and Charlotte, not that much going on in NC. I'd be interested in seein recent growth numbers for Raleigh b/c I think its real boom years were 80s and 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City