Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does Milwaukee have a lot more intact historic architecture than the others? I know that Columbus and Indianapolis were until quite recently much smaller cities/metro and the Twin Cities were larger, but had gone whole hog for urban renewal in the 50s through to the 70s and tore up much of their historic architecture. Did Milwaukee keep most of theirs? Are there more pictures of neighborhoods?
Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Which city do you think is the nicest to live in, in terms of crime, weather, location, people and the downtown?
I will compare MKE and the Twin Cities mainly because out of this list it's the only 2 that I would consider living in and having been to all the cities were comparing here it's really between TC and MKE for me

Crime: Milwaukee has a bigger hood than TC's but most people wouldn't live there and spill over effect into nice areas is a non-issue in both cities so crime is not an issue for me between the two.

Weather, while it's not a huge difference but living on the Lake in Milwaukee is better weather than the TC's due to the lake effect and it's not a big enough difference for me to make me choose MKE over TC based just on weather but Living on lake michigan has it's weather advantages over the TC.

Location, well I think we all know Milwaukee wins this one not too much to debate one this issue. Being only 30 min from the Chicago suburbs and an hour from the city of Chicago and having bus and train options to downtown Chicago and O'hare is a huge selling point for me but not might be for others. I go down to Chicago a lot and driving 80mph you don't even notice the drive any more as being long.

People, the nicest people I have ever met from a random sampling is Minnesota. Every time I go up there I am just amazed on how nice people are. Then again I go to Chicago a lot so I am used to dealing with Jags so the people thing is not a issue for me but man are the people nice up there.

Downtown, The TC wins this one as much as it pains me to say so however there is a huge BUT I have to add. Lake Michigan and the rivers around Milwaukee is a huge plus for me. I spend a lot of the time fishing for lake trout, salmon, going to the beach and just seeing an ocean view but without the waves or danger is just great. I am a big water guy and where MKE's downtown lacks Lake Michigan makes up for and since downtown is on the lake it just makes the difference for me. The TC's downtown is very nice and I was impressed when I was up there recently. Both cities have wealthy suburbs and TC has a better freeway system.

I could easily live in the TC's but I prefer Milwaukee's older grittier(not dirtier)feel, more compact, close to Chicago, slightly better weather, around the same crime rate, the higher density of Milwaukee, the ethnic vibe of the city and 2ND only to Las Vegas when it comes to Restaurants, nightclubs, bars and lounges per capita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City