Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times

Advertisements

i think the only northeastern skyline i could recognize is New York City. as for the west coast i could identify Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle. The midwestern skylines i could identify are St. Louis and Chicago.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times
You gotta admit, for a city of 85,000, my city (Duluth, MN) has a nice and recognizable skyline. (If you're from the midwest)

[Not my picture]

Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I can't picture what any Southern city's skyline looks like. It seems to not get the attention the Eastern, Midwestern and West Coast cities get.
Probably because they go for practicality rather than superficiality.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The only reason Charlotte's BOA tower is so distinguishable is because it's just so much freaking taller than anything else in the entire city.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. BOA is the tallest tower in the skyline, but you act as though it's 500 ft taller than the next tallest tower (Hearst), which it isn't. When it was first built (over 15 years ago), you could say that, but now? Hardly.

Quote:
If it weren't for the BOA tower, Charlotte's skyline would be easily forgotten (just like the rest of that blah/boring city).
And this is coming from someone whose city's sole claim to fame is something made fun of on "The Simpsons." Knoxville wish it could be half of what Charlotte is. Hell, Chattanooga beats the snot out of Knoxville.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:33 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times
BTW: Reason I posted Duluth is because you all were comparing to the Midwest as well. =p

Like stated before, you need some specific landmarks to be able to recognize a city's skyline.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
First I mus say, as a Charlottean, we do have an ecellent skyline and it will continue to get better. Also, as a Southerner, I believe that the reason why cities in the South don't get that much attention is for the simple fact the city is in the South. The South has a pretty bad rep for its racial problems and the belief that we are slower down here. Some cases that may be true, nevertheless, I believe cities in the South have much to offer and may even perhaps one day carry the U.S. like NYC, Chicago, and LA have. I personally find it hard to place Houston or Dallas in the South given there location and I view Texas as a different animal. But that is just my opinion. I believe cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond, Jacksonville, and of course I can't leave out Miami will change these perceptions about Southern cities in the next 10-15 years. But once again, just my opinion.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Skyline schmyline...how are the people?

Old 11-22-2008, 04:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I think you hit the nail right on the head my friend, you took the words right out of my mouth. Southern cities were basically deadzones until around the time of desegregation and the drying up of the industries in the Midwestern and some of the Northeastern cities....I would say that the "Southern renaissance" has been in effect probably for about 40 to 50 years...cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Houston, etc. have only been booming and very well established in the last 100 years. They have been around much longer than 100 years, but were not really major players until around then. Atlanta in particular is unrecognizable likely because it was burned to the ground during the Civil War so it looked completely different when it was rebuilt, not to mention that it took a very long time for it to recover. THat's one reason. The other is that the economy of the South jumpstarted only a few decades ago and downtowns developed and populations experienced explosive growth...as a result, most Southern cities are pretty unrecognizable compared to how they would have been in say...the 1950s...their skylines are not ones that have been traditionally portrayed like the skylines of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, St. Louis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, etc.
The first highrises weren't built until the late 1800s...so how many cities have recognizeable skylines from prior to 1900? NONE. Atlanta has dozens of highrises built from 1895 thru 1930, just like most other large cities of that time period...but those aren't the buildings anyone recognizes - the recognizeable ones are the newer ones or the famous ones. The Westin Peachtree Plaza is easy to identify on Atlanta's skyline, as are a few other buildings that give it away to anyone who has ever actually visited the city.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
You gotta admit, for a city of 85,000, my city (Duluth, MN) has a nice and recognizable skyline. (If you're from the midwest)
It's recognizeable only to people who live in Duluth...believe me, no one else would recognize the skyline of Duluth.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
First I mus say, as a Charlottean, we do have an ecellent skyline and it will continue to get better. Also, as a Southerner, I believe that the reason why cities in the South don't get that much attention is for the simple fact the city is in the South. The South has a pretty bad rep for its racial problems and the belief that we are slower down here. Some cases that may be true, nevertheless, I believe cities in the South have much to offer and may even perhaps one day carry the U.S. like NYC, Chicago, and LA have. I personally find it hard to place Houston or Dallas in the South given there location and I view Texas as a different animal. But that is just my opinion. I believe cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond, Jacksonville, and of course I can't leave out Miami will change these perceptions about Southern cities in the next 10-15 years. But once again, just my opinion.
Racial tension was part of life all over the U.S. - it wasn't and isn't something unique to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City