Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is the most powerful city in its region the southeast. But is pretty weak compared to other powers around the country. I think alot of natives from Alabama, South Carolina, and North Carolina get tired of being picked on by Atlanta.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I hear this often but no Charlotte's airport doesn't compete with Atlanta. I mean come on, does anyone here expect Charlotte to have the sort of airport with flights out to Paris every hour? How about Dubai every 2 hours? What person in Alabama is going to Charlotte for an international flight? (I can see SC but even then)

That's Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Orlando territory in the southeast not Charlotte IMO. Nightlife? This is becoming more difficult than it needs to be, look Charleston can have the best nightlife in America for all I care but its not close to as glamorous, large, and diverse as Atlanta.

That's all I'm getting at. Not saying Atlanta is the best place in that 3 state region GA-AL-SC but its still the king city there, no matter what IMO
I actually agree with you in the big picture, however was pointing out that CLT has a fair amount of international traffic and also professional sports a lot closer to SC than Atlanta. Actually the nightlife sucked in the Upstate and the only times I went out were in Atlanta and Charleston minus the occasional trip back to Orlando where good nightlife is prevalent.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
I hear this often but no Charlotte's airport doesn't compete with Atlanta. I mean come on, does anyone here expect Charlotte to have the sort of airport with flights out to Paris every hour? How about Dubai every 2 hours? What person in Alabama is going to Charlotte for an international flight? (I can see SC but even then)

That's Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Orlando territory in the southeast not Charlotte IMO. Nightlife? This is becoming more difficult than it needs to be, look Charleston can have the best nightlife in America for all I care but its not close to as glamorous, large, and diverse as Atlanta.

That's all I'm getting at. Not saying Atlanta is the best place in that 3 state region GA-AL-SC but its still the king city there, no matter what IMO
It is hilarious how far this thread is going, this must be a record................GO ATL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The old saying if you go to Heaven or Hell, you have to pass through the ATL airport.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I actually agree with you in the big picture, however was pointing out that CLT has a fair amount of international traffic and also professional sports a lot closer to SC than Atlanta. Actually the nightlife sucked in the Upstate and the only times I went out were in Atlanta and Charleston minus the occasional trip back to Orlando where good nightlife is prevalent.
I am biased, my love for Atlanta truly knows no bounds.

Actually as I say all to often, I equally love Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston, and Miami and only like NY more than these 5 places. They are my standard for where I would live and be entirely happy

Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
I am biased, my love for Atlanta truly knows no bounds.
So does mine, but I did live in SC and while Atlanta was the Holy Grail of the area, Charlotte did offer a lot of amenities for us in the Upstate of SC without the long drive.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Very. They want to claim Alabama's support, but when push comes to shove, they're dogging Alabama out. Man please.
What do Atlantans want to "claim Alabama's support" for?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
So does mine, but I did live in SC and while Atlanta was the Holy Grail of the area, Charlotte did offer a lot of amenities for us in the Upstate of SC without the long drive.
Very true, and not just the Upstate, but also Columbia and the Pee Dee; it's a further drive to Charleston, but it's still closer than Atlanta. I even said earlier that Atlanta doesn't have as much pull on SC as it does AL because of Charlotte's influence. While a lot of flights still have to go through ATL, the out-of-state airport that most SC'ers utilize is definitely Charlotte-Douglas (it's closer to most of the state than Hartsfield-Jackson), and people forget that while the Panthers play in Charlotte, the team itself actually represents both Carolinas.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What do Atlantans want to "claim Alabama's support" for?
Because Alabama is the tornado Blocker for the most part.............AL keeps getting destroyed...........No big loss anyway...........

Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Atlanta is the most powerful city in its region the southeast. But is pretty weak compared to other powers around the country.
Not exactly sure what you mean by that, especially since there are several ways to gauge strength.

Quote:
I think alot of natives from Alabama, South Carolina, and North Carolina get tired of being picked on by Atlanta.
I'm a native South Carolinian and lived in North Carolina before moving here and I hardly feel that Atlanta "picks" on us. Not sure where that's coming from, especially since there are quite a few natives from these states that live here.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very true, and not just the Upstate, but also Columbia and the Pee Dee; it's a further drive to Charleston, but it's still closer than Atlanta. I even said earlier that Atlanta doesn't have as much pull on SC as it does AL because of Charlotte's influence. While a lot of flights still have to go through ATL, the out-of-state airport that most SC'ers utilize is definitely Charlotte-Douglas (it's closer to most of the state than Hartsfield-Jackson), and people forget that while the Panthers play in Charlotte, the team itself actually represents both Carolinas.

Stupid, I hate states that use their meager pro teams to rep the whole state. GA does not say Georgia Falcons, Georgia Hawks, or Georgia Braves.........Blah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City