Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And did you know that Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss use to play in the same conference 80 years ago?
Spade, I think this might be the one you are talking about:

Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern21 View Post

I rest my case. You Texans need to give up.
No offence intended, but rest what case? You haven't made one!

And we Texans don't need to "give up". Give up to what? See above!

Quote:
They saying that because North Carolina is a little further up North. In that case, might as well say Tennessee & Virginia is not part of the "true south" either huh? I hope those "deep south purist" knows that the state of North Carolina borders South Carolina and Georgia. Those two states consider the deep south.
LOL Tell that to them, not us.

The point is (or at least mine is, with lots of support from others) is that before you get too "smug" about about your credentials to define the South, bear in mind that there are some out there who would dispute North Carolina being part of the so-called "true South."

I don't agree with these "Deep South purists", obviously...just saying.

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-26-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
NC is definitely the "South"

Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The argument is about the South, not the Southeast. If you really want to get technical, half of Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and parts of Tennessee might as well not be south since they resemble parts of Texas more than they resemble Georgia, Alabama, and the Carolinas. Funny how it's always somebody from one of those three states dictated what the south and southern is.
People always eliminate Florida and Texas just to give an advantage to Atlanta. Whenever a thread pop ups that speaks positive about the south; Houston, Dallas, and Miami are always excluded. However, when it's a negative thread; they are considered southern again.

If anyone has been to East Texas and Central Texas; I don't know how they could be considered anything other than southern.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:40 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People always eliminate Florida and Texas just to give an advantage to Atlanta. Whenever a thread pop ups that speaks positive about the south; Houston, Dallas, and Miami are always excluded. However, when it's a negative thread; they are considered southern again.

If anyone has been to East Texas and Central Texas; I don't know how they could be considered anything other than southern.
mhmm
I never payed attention to that before, but now that you mention it... um hmm.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
well your wrong houston is the largest city in the south, and is just as southern as atl. houston is almost an extension of louisiana so i would have to disagree with you on that i dont think there is a good pick. you can argue a point for every city to be the capital of the south. but i refuse to say atl no disrespect, houston is in the category of the la, nyc, and chi. so how do you slight a city with such a prestige.
That is such a joke.LOL.You need to travel more.Not to mention Houston is NOT more Southern than Atlanta.And Atlanta is not more Southern than Nashville.But it is the Capitol of the South..

Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM

74 posts, read 93,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've read several times on this board people saying Atlanta is the capital of the south. i highly disagree with this. I think the only cities that could call themselves the capital of their regions are New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles because they are so much bigger than the cities in their region. the south has many major cities and most of them are similar in size and importance.

do you consider Atlanta to be the capital of the south?
I disagree as well. wow 300 votes to Atlanta, thats shocking. I think Houston is the Capital of the South. Come on, the best Economy, rapid growth,and its gonna be the next economic Powerhouse that will pass LA, and maybe New York. As the economy tends to build more is expected to happen in H-town.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:55 PM

74 posts, read 93,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That is such a joke.LOL.You need to travel more.Not to mention Houston is NOT more Southern than Atlanta.And Atlanta is not more Southern than Nashville.But it is the Capitol of the South..
Wait what he's saying is a joke. What he's saying is true, it requires some reading and logical thought. Houston's probably not in the category with NY yet but it is with LA. Houston Economy will pass LA's. Atlanta the Capital of the South. Why is it because it's in the center of the South? Give me the significance behind this.... I don't Classify Houston as "South", anyways even Houston was South or not, I would still vote for it. In general it's a better city.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
I'm one of the ones who feel that there is no capital of the South. I feel this way because there is no one city that the South as a whole looks to for entertainment, government, politics, culture, etc. If you want to argue that there is then keep in mind that you'd have to limit it to the Southeast. Even then people in Louisiana, Arkansas, Virginia, western Tennessee, western Mississippi, and central Florida southward are not necessarily checking for Atlanta like that. Even if you limit it to the "Deep South" you still have to leave off Louisiana, half of Mississippi, and the end of Tennessee. Culturally the argument is out, historically is debatable, and economically it would Houston right now.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:26 PM

468 posts, read 790,200 times
This thing about Atlanta being the capital of south has been going on for years and years.. Articles after articles have been written on that subject.. Its always been looked at that way..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City