Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas??
Atlanta 159 55.02%
Dallas 130 44.98%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
No offense, but if you really wanted to impress everyone you would've shown pictures of Uptown Dallas. The high concentration of housing and businesses in a dense, pedestrian-friendly, midrise scale really makes for an excellent urban environment (let's not forget about the McKinney streetcar also ). It's also one of the areas of Central Dallas where you wil see people walking all hours of the day--thus diminishing the auto-oriented stereotype of Sunbelt cities.
I was but my computer would not let me post anymore pictures.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
BEAUTIFUL ATLANTA

EDITED by MODERATOR (oversized pics/excessive pics removed:
Sorry to be the "evil one", but I would like to refer folks to the sticky from the top of the room which most folks ignore: What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****. Please note the part about "photos" (number per post, size, etc). I've been turning my head until now, but honestly, once I start getting complaints about how many and how large photos bog down load times for folks, things have to be enforced. In order to avoid having pics in a post removed, please follow the guidelines in the sticky please. Thank you

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-07-2009 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Beautiful Atlanta

Old 05-07-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Beautiful Atlanta

D**n you got me beat by a mile.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
WARNING:

Sorry to be the "evil one", but I would like to refer folks to the sticky from the top of the room which most folks ignore: What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****. Please note the part about "photos" (number per post, size, etc).

I've been turning my head until now, but honestly, once I start getting complaints about how many and how large photos bog down load times for folks, things have to be enforced. The photos are great, but in order to avoid having these nice pics in a post removed, please follow the guidelines in the sticky please. If you have a large number of photos to share, then put them in an online gallery or photo sharing service and provide a link in your post to the gallery. Thank you

Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 PM

294 posts, read 782,080 times
Atlanta or Dallas? Lived in Atlanta (just returned from this week) and have been living in Dallas the past 5 months. Here's how I see it. Dallas is a somewhat bigger and a little older. Atlanta has less buildings than Dallas but Atlanta's buildings tend to be newer and taller but not as many. Dallas has a slew of midrises all over the place.
Dallas seems to be more of a corporate, white collar city. Atlanta is also very pro-business but more balanced with white and blue collar. Dallas has more of a LA type of vibe and layout while Atlanta follows the traditional southeast US pattern of developing around winding, narrow streets lacking a continuous grid. Dallas' finer neighborhoods seem to be nicer than Atlanta's while Atlanta has slightly better options to choose from for general housing. Shopping imo is better in Dallas. I cannot see how a place can support so many shopping centers, malls and districts-they are everywhere and they are still building them accross the metro.
Atlanta's Marta is a better option than Dart. Airports are about the same size but ATL has more options to fly to and from. Atlanta has more interesting cultural opportunities to offer the visitor or resident. Places to eat are about equal but i'd give a slight edge to dallas.
Both places offer a lot and are enjoyable to me. It's a toss-up between the two!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
Atlanta or Dallas? Lived in Atlanta (just returned from this week) and have been living in Dallas the past 5 months. Here's how I see it. Dallas is a somewhat bigger and a little older. Atlanta has less buildings than Dallas but Atlanta's buildings tend to be newer and taller but not as many. Dallas has a slew of midrises all over the place.
Dallas seems to be more of a corporate, white collar city. Atlanta is also very pro-business but more balanced with white and blue collar. Dallas has more of a LA type of vibe and layout while Atlanta follows the traditional southeast US pattern of developing around winding, narrow streets lacking a continuous grid. Dallas' finer neighborhoods seem to be nicer than Atlanta's while Atlanta has slightly better options to choose from for general housing. Shopping imo is better in Dallas. I cannot see how a place can support so many shopping centers, malls and districts-they are everywhere and they are still building them accross the metro.
Atlanta's Marta is a better option than Dart. Airports are about the same size but ATL has more options to fly to and from. Atlanta has more interesting cultural opportunities to offer the visitor or resident. Places to eat are about equal but i'd give a slight edge to dallas.
Both places offer a lot and are enjoyable to me. It's a toss-up between the two!
1. Atlanta is a good bit older than Dallas. Atlanta developed much earlier
and has a larger stock of historic downtown structures and highrises dating back to the 1870s. In 1880 only 10,000 people lived in Dallas, while Atlanta had rebuilt after being burned to the ground and had grown to 65,000.

2. The number of highrises in the two cities is very close to even...330 to 291. Dallas has a few more, but not a significant number. Atlanta has more older, historic buildings and a huge number of midrises as well.

3. Atlanta's street pattern follows the old indian trails...it's not a bunch of random winding streets. There are street grids in sections of Downtown and Midtown.

4. I'm not sure which of Atlanta's wealthy neighborhoods you saw, but they are on par with any in the nation. Buckhead 30327 is the 9th wealthiest zip code in the U.S. I've been to Dallas, but don't really remember seeing exclusive neighborhoods...but a mansion is a mansion.

5. I'm not sure how many shopping areas/malls there are in Dallas, but there are 29 in Atlanta. Dallas couldn't be much more saturated with shopping than that.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
and has a larger stock of historic downtown structures and highrises dating back to the 1870s. In 1880 only 10,000 people lived in Dallas, while Atlanta had rebuilt after being burned to the ground and had grown to 65,000.

2. The number of highrises in the two cities is very close to even...330 to 291. Dallas has a few more, but not a significant number. Atlanta has more older, historic buildings and a huge number of midrises as well.

3. Atlanta's street pattern follows the old indian trails...it's not a bunch of random winding streets. There are street grids in sections of Downtown and Midtown.

4. I'm not sure which of Atlanta's wealthy neighborhoods you saw, but they are on par with any in the nation. Buckhead 30327 is the 9th wealthiest zip code in the U.S. I've been to Dallas, but don't really remember seeing exclusive neighborhoods...but a mansion is a mansion.

5. I'm not sure how many shopping areas/malls there are in Dallas, but there are 29 in Atlanta. Dallas couldn't be much more saturated with shopping than that.
Dallas has been considered a shopping capital because of the amount of upscale stores there.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Dallas-Fort Worth has 22 malls. The biggest is Northpark Center 2,000,000 sq ft of retail space the ancors are: Dillard's,Neiman Marcus,Nordstrom,Barneys New York,Macy's And AMC Theaters 15. I went to the Galleria Dallas on my way there I seen another mall (Valley View Center) across the street!They are still building new shopping centers for example the new shopping center Park Lane across the street from Northpark Center.There are so many shopping developments going on in Dallas! Please don't get it mixed up we have more shopping centers not malls per capita than any other city or metropolitan area in the United States.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM

294 posts, read 782,080 times
Quote:

The areas east/west of the long Preston Rd are full of very upscale neighborhoods and nearby Southern Methodist University (SMU). As well as around the area called Turtle Creek is a large area of old money. Plus, like atlanta, many, many upscale suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City