Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee has to be on any list.

Asheville NC deserves mention too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
I heard someone say Chicago has the most bars per capita than any other city in the US but I believe that goes to Milwaukee. I keep seeing that stat in magazines and on TV shows and in beer magazines.

Here's a great videos about beer in Milwaukee.

Hulu - Beer Nutz: Milwaukee - Watch the full episode now.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Cool thread!

I'm a craft beer drinker, but I find that it's hard to define a "Craft beer culture." This "culture" overlaps with many many other cultures (i.e. hipsters, foodies, yuppies, etc) so it's really hard to peg it down. I have a preference for Belgian Style beers (I love Unibroue out of Quebec, Chimay, Allagash and a few others) and have been called a few choice names by people who prefer more bitter, "manly" beers. I guess what I'm saying is that beyond a good bar/beer selection and various craft breweries AND the availability of craft beers on a retail level in stores, it's hard to define, "beer culture."

Of the cities I've been to, Portland OR is far and away the best. I love Boston and New England and the beers that come from that region, but it's so much more spaced out and spotty than Portland OR.

Boston is my number two. It seems like every restaurant and bar offers something special. Boston gets great local beer from the region (Portsmouth NH, Portland ME, Burlington VT, and towns all over the region have great local breweries) as well as an excellent world selection. As I said before, I love Belgian Beers and my favorite place to get one is The Publick House in Brookline.

Other than that, New York, Philadelphia and Chicago were very good.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Portland, OR definetly tops this list.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Pittsburgh and the outer burbs. Pennsylvania in general has some very good and established local breweries.

St. Louis has a good brewing tradition, with many decent local breweries along with the 800 pound Beer Making Gorilla, AB/Inbev.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
1. Ft. Collins, CO (New Belgium)
2. New Glarus, WI (New Glarus)

These are definitely my #1 and #2 favorite beer towns.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Cool thread!

I'm a craft beer drinker, but I find that it's hard to define a "Craft beer culture." This "culture" overlaps with many many other cultures (i.e. hipsters, foodies, yuppies, etc) so it's really hard to peg it down. I have a preference for Belgian Style beers (I love Unibroue out of Quebec, Chimay, Allagash and a few others) and have been called a few choice names by people who prefer more bitter, "manly" beers. .
If you like Belgian beers that have a kick to them, pick up Harpoon Leviathan Quad. Beware though, it's 12% alcohol. The last time I had one was at Harpoon's St.Patty's Day festival. Let's just say lots of bad stuff happened.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
People were talking about Milwaukee and St.Louis, but what good craft beers are in those areas? Remember, the OP wanted to hear about what good beers come from your area...not the horrible urine-based drink called Bud or Miller.
Why did you pick on Milwaukee and St. Louis, as if Denver doesn't produce crappy beer in the form of Coors?

BTW, Milwaukee actually has quite a few good microbreweries. Stonefly, Lakefront, Horny Goat, Milwaukee Ale House, and Water Street Brewery are a few that immediately come to mind. According to this website, the state of Wisconsin is home to over 50 microbreweries.

BrewPubZone.com: Beer, Brewpubs, Microbreweries, Craft Beer, Home Brewing

Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 PM

Question: If Portland is such a great beer town, then why hasn't anybody named any famous beers from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahJohnson View Post
Portland all the way! Not just great beer and a bunch of it, we're talking talented and gifted beer drinkers here. Incredible.
Hate to keep posting this but...

America's Drunkest Cities - Forbes.com
1. Milwaukee
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul
3. Columbus
4. Boston
5. Austin
6. Chicago
7. Cleveland
8. Pittsburgh
9. Philadelphia
9. Providence
11. St. Louis
12. San Antonio
12. Seattle
14. Las Vegas
15. Denver/Boulder
16. Cincinnati
16. Kansas City
18. Houston
19. Portland
20. San Francisco-Oakland
20. Washington-Baltimore
22. Phoenix
23. Los Angeles
24. New Orleans
24. Tampa
26. Norfolk
27. Dallas-Fort Worth
28. Atlanta
28. Detroit
30. Indianapolis
31. Orlando
32. New York
33. Miami
34. Charlotte
35. Nashville

Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
I did a search for the following terms and ended up with the city rankings. I wasn't surprised with the results, especially seeing Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, and Milwaukee making most of the lists.

Beer
1. Pittsburgh, PA, USA
2. Philadelphia, PA, USA
3. St Louis, MO, USA
4. Boston, MA, USA
5. Denver, CO, USA
6. Minneapolis, MN, USA
7. Austin, TX, USA
8. Portland, OR, USA
9. Chicago, IL, USA
10. Raleigh, NC, USA

Breweries
1. Portland, OR, USA
2. Denver, CO, USA
3. Milwaukee, WI, USA
4. Littleton, CO, USA
5. Madison, WI, USA
6. Seattle, WA, USA
7. Minneapolis, MN, USA
8. San Diego, CA, USA
9. St Louis, MO, USA
10. Sacramento, CA, USA

Bars
1. New York, NY, USA
2. Minneapolis, MN, USA
3. Boston, MA, USA
4. Chicago, IL, USA
5. Philadelphia, PA, USA
6. Washington, DC, USA
7. Pittsburgh, PA, USA
8. Phoenix, AZ, USA
9. Newark, NJ, USA
10. Denver, CO, USA

Brewing
1. Milwaukee, WI, USA
2. Portland, OR, USA
3. Albuquerque, NM, USA
4. Madison, WI, USA
5. Cleveland, OH, USA
6. Denver, CO, USA
7. Littleton, CO, USA
8. Pittsburgh, PA, USA
9. Minneapolis, MN, USA
10. Sacramento, CA, USA

Pub
1. Portland, OR, USA
2. Milwaukee, WI, USA
3. Madison, WI, USA
4. Boston, MA, USA
5. Cambridge, MA, USA
6. Baltimore, MD, USA
7. Philadelphia, PA, USA
8. Minneapolis, MN, USA
9. Chicago, IL, USA
10. Seattle, WA, USA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City