Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
If you like Belgian beers that have a kick to them, pick up Harpoon Leviathan Quad. Beware though, it's 12% alcohol. The last time I had one was at Harpoon's St.Patty's Day festival. Let's just say lots of bad stuff happened.
I've had it. Great stuff. I love the beers with a kick. Unibroue Terrible is one of my favorite, but the Dogfishead 120 minute IPA is over 20% alcohol and absolutely kick ass.

The bigger point is, You were at Harpoon's St. Patty's Day Festival this year? I was too. I was also a waste but in good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:36 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
We are forgetting the money line in all of this. When anyone says Beer City USA or The Brew City Milwaukee is the first thing people think of. We even have our baseball team named the Brewers!!!!

Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Question: If Portland is such a great beer town, then why hasn't anybody named any famous beers from there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
We are forgetting the money line in all of this. When anyone says Beer City USA or The Brew City Milwaukee is the first thing people think of. We even have our baseball team named the Brewers!!!!
I think the qualities that constitute a good beer town are towns and cities that have a lot of (meaning diversity, not quanitity) high-quality, locally brewed beers and good venues, pubs and restarants, to enjoy such beers at.

Just because a place doesn't have a lot of famous beers (and Portland does have a few) does not mean that the average quality of the local beer isn't of a very high standard.

It is not about cities that have the largest breweries making vast quantities of the same, bland style of beer or cities where people regularly drink themselves to oblivion.

That is why Portland, OR and other cities score high among people who love beer (and not just drinking average swill to numb themselves or get laid).

ABQConvict

Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Quote:
Why did you pick on Milwaukee and St. Louis, as if Denver doesn't produce crappy beer in the form of Coors?

BTW, Milwaukee actually has quite a few good microbreweries. Stonefly, Lakefront, Horny Goat, Milwaukee Ale House, and Water Street Brewery are a few that immediately come to mind. According to this website, the state of Wisconsin is home to over 50 microbreweries.

BrewPubZone.com: Beer, Brewpubs, Microbreweries, Craft Beer, Home Brewing
I absolutely HATE Coors...but Denver/Rocky Mountains more than make up for it with their many incredible micro/craft breweries. To name a few off the top of my head...Great Divide, Boulder Beer Company, Flying Dog, O'Dells, Left Hand, Avery, Fort Collins Brewing, New Belgium, Oskar Blues, and Tommyknocker...I'm sure there are other great ones I didn't mention either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I've had it. Great stuff. I love the beers with a kick. Unibroue Terrible is one of my favorite, but the Dogfishead 120 minute IPA is over 20% alcohol and absolutely kick ass.
Dogfish Head 120 is amazing! I actually like their brew called Palo Santo Marron more though. It's a dark beer with tons of kick (13% abv)...it comes in a red/pink 4-pack. I'd highly recommend it.

Also, if you like Stouts--Chocolate Stouts in particular--do yourself a favor and pick up some Southern Tier Chokolat...it's an Imperial, so it's strong (11% abv). It's so chocolatey, and amazing...by far the best Stout I've ever had.

Quote:
The bigger point is, You were at Harpoon's St. Patty's Day Festival this year? I was too. I was also a waste but in good company.
I actually never made it through the doors. I was pre-gaming with some friends at the bottom of O St at the L St Beach...then by the time we made it to the brewery the line was insane, so we went to Atlantic Beer Garden. Long story short, my buddy who worked for Harpoon met up with us later and fed me a couple Quads...I stumbled around Southie for a couple hours...somehow ended up taking a cab to Brighton until 6...and then took a cab back to Southie and crashed on my friend's couch. Horrible night, and I dropped like $70 on cabs.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Why did you pick on Milwaukee and St. Louis, as if Denver doesn't produce crappy beer in the form of Coors?

BTW, Milwaukee actually has quite a few good microbreweries. Stonefly, Lakefront, Horny Goat, Milwaukee Ale House, and Water Street Brewery are a few that immediately come to mind. According to this website, the state of Wisconsin is home to over 50 microbreweries.

BrewPubZone.com: Beer, Brewpubs, Microbreweries, Craft Beer, Home Brewing
Milwaukee Ale House sucks, Water Street is hardly any better, and Lakefront is OK but pretty forgettable -- it'll do in a pinch but it's not worth going out of one's way to pick up their stuff. Stonefly is basically a neighborhood joint that doesn't seem to have any ambition of expanding its reach, and what the hell is Horny Goat??

Anyway, the foregoing reasons is why I prefer Madison over Milwaukee as a beer town.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:20 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I love a good IPA, and I love Dogfish Head 60-minute (and the stronger 90-minute) IPA. But I was shocked when I had a 120-minute IPA about a month ago. It was sweet and sugary. More like a barley wine than a hoppy pint of bitter. I was disappointed.

Anyway, for the IPA lovers who haven't tried it, check out Dogfish Head. It's brewed in Southern Delaware, which no one would mistake for the beer meccas of Portland and Denver/Boulder (my No. 1 and No. 2), but it is a quality brew.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I love a good IPA, and I love Dogfish Head 60-minute (and the stronger 90-minute) IPA. But I was shocked when I had a 120-minute IPA about a month ago. It was sweet and sugary. More like a barley wine than a hoppy pint of bitter. I was disappointed.
And that's one of the reasons I like the 120 so much. It actually is a fairly bitter beer -- I think it clocks in at over 100 IBUs -- but you're right, it's pretty darn sugary and that disguises some of the bitterness. But that's to be expected when you need a gigantic yeast population to produce 20% ABV -- you also have to make sure the yeast has plenty of sugars to feed on. IMO the 120 is an incredibly well-balanced beer for something as rich and intense as it is.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post

Anyway, for the IPA lovers who haven't tried it, check out Dogfish Head. It's brewed in Southern Delaware, which no one would mistake for the beer meccas of Portland and Denver/Boulder (my No. 1 and No. 2), but it is a quality brew.
If you're in IPA lover, I assume you've had Stone Ruination, right? If not, get it NOW haha

Another amazing one to try is the Southern Tier Unearthly Imperial Pale Ale...if you can get the Oak Aged version (it will have a shiny green label), do it...but the regular kind is nearly just as good. Lagunitas Maximus IPA is another gem, as is the Ballast Point Double Dorado, Bear Republic Hop Rod, Pizza Port Brewing Hop-15, and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

Also, the Boston-brewed Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA is awesome...one of the best out there.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And that's one of the reasons I like the 120 so much. It actually is a fairly bitter beer -- I think it rates at somewhere around 70 or 80 IBUs -- but you're right, it's pretty darn sugary and that disguises some of the bitterness. But that's to be expected when you need a gigantic yeast population to produce 20% ABV -- you also have to make sure the yeast has plenty of sugars to feed on. IMO the 120 is an incredibly well-balanced beer for something as rich and intense as it is.
If you like bitter beers, try the Hoppin Frog Double IPA...168 IBUs. The body isn't that strong but it's bitter as hell!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 PM

I don't particularly like bitter beers, and in fact I grew tired of the "hop the ever-loving sh*t out of everything like it's a horsepower contest" trend years ago. I like a bitter beer that's well-balanced and has some finesse, but I don't care at all for the "hop-bomb" approach that the West Coast breweries unleashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City