Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,296,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i just had to post this
That's a beautiful shot....no skyline on earth is like that (and never will be). Dubai can build all the skyscrapers it wants, but it will never have the classy Gothic architecture / mix of old and new that an established world city like New York has. Hong Kong has an amazing skyline (the second best), but Hong Kong's skyscrapers aren't as old as New York's.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
That's a beautiful shot....no skyline on earth is like that (and never will be). Dubai can build all the skyscrapers it wants, but it will never have the classy Gothic architecture / mix of old and new that an established world city like New York has. Hong Kong has an amazing skyline (the second best), but Hong Kong's skyscrapers aren't as old as New York's.

You are breaking many Chicago hearts now....

Old 04-10-2009, 02:59 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,296,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You are breaking many Chicago hearts now....
Don't get me wrong, Chicago has an amazing skyline, but it's not in New York's league (only Hong Kong comes close).

In terms of the US, I'd definitely give Chicago 2nd place, followed by San Francisco.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Don't get me wrong, Chicago has an amazing skyline, but it's not in New York's league (only Hong Kong comes close).

In terms of the US, I'd definitely give Chicago 2nd place, followed by San Francisco.
Read the top post on page 88.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Read the top post on page 88.
So he is not entitled to his won opinion because of some article?

I bet when you go to the movies you always like the movie that won an Oscar, no matter what. You just HAVE to like it because it won the Oscar, right Look at the picture in post #1274 and tell me if you have seen anything so breathtaking in Chicago or any other city in the US.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,908 times
Quote:

I bet when you go to the movies you always like the movie that won an Oscar, no matter what. You just HAVE to like it because it won the Oscar, right Look at the picture in post #1278 and tell me if you can find such a breathtaking view anywhere in Chicago or any other city in the US.
Don't presume to know me.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,977 times
Quote:
I can't. I leave pretending to Chicago and Chicagoans. You are doing such a agreat job! You even made some people believe that Chicago is a real city.
Thanks I guess, but I haven't really had to try very hard. You've just failed terribly at trying to prove Chicago isn't a "real" city.

Quote:
Well, according to the data below, Chicago is constantly losing population. It's a trend. Wonder why, since Chicagoans constantly claim thier city is so vibrant and appealing...
It's actually gained population! The OFFICIAL census of 2000 had them at a gain. You'll have to wait for the OFFICIAL one of 2010 to try and prove me otherwise. The Census had Chicago at a loss again in 1990, but it turned around with a gain.

Quote:
As you can see between 1940 and 2000 Chicago lost roughly a half a million people. There are very very few big American cities that lost so much of their population during all the baby and immigration booms we experienced inbetween.
Almost every Midwestern and East Coast city lost population after the 1950's. That's when Suburban living became popular. Even your prized NYC lost population and didn't start to turn around until the 1990's. Nice try though! .

Quote:
Chicago Spire? I heard it is on hold and most likely will be scratched. Anyways, buidling a supertall skyscraper in the city mostly filled with bungalows: talking about being pretentious...
The North side has a lot of Bungalows, but has its fair share of multiple family homes. The rest of the city is basically all multiple family homes.

Quote:
Facade on the lake and behind that all types of dubiousness" as EM Forster once said. Surprisingly it is still a valid comment.
This screams you're jealous. You know Chicago is better . It's about time. Why don't you stick to your opinion and I'll stick to mine. Have you noticed no one from Chicago or anywhere else has even said anything negative about NYC until you started all this about Chicago. Get a grip on reality, no one cares. I know you're not going to have much to do during the day now, but at least try to move on.

Quote:
I thought Chicago politicians are the best in twisting words, stealing and blowing smoke. Chicago is famous for this and so are Chicagoans...
Almost all politicians are corrupt. The same things happen in NYC that happen in Chicago. Chicago was once the most corrupt city on the planet, but not anymore.

Quote:
Anyways, you stated that cities try to increase density to collect more taxes. Please explain to all of us, how do cities go about increasing density? What do they do? Forcibly relocate all suburbanites back into the city? I am simply curious. This might be the "Chicago original thought" Wow!
I said the city tries to increase density because they cant annex anymore. You try to get more people in by building up and selling the homes to new buyers. Is that hard for you to understand? You give the impression you're one of those guys that thinks they're smart, but always gets ripped off in the end. You're just not intelligent, at all.

Quote:
Of course you wouldn't. I heard much more absurd claims in the course of this debate. New York has more than twice more percentage-wise and over three times more in square miles. Chicago is behind NYC, SF, Boston, Jersey City, Philly and Balitimore. "City in a Garden"? Chicago came up with a lot of things but never really followed up on any of them. It's always just a tough talk to take focus off pressing social issues and rampant corruption. Same with the bid for the Olympics now.
That meant nothing, but coming from you, I'm not surprised. How is the Olympics a cover up? Lol are you inventing Conspiracy Theories now too?

Quote:
Anyways, how many more years will you guys desperately cling to long forgotten events like World's Fair or Chicago Fire to prove Chicago's importance? Just move on already. Nobody is interested in what happened over a hundred years ago.
I knew you were going to say something about that. Is anyone clinging to it? No. How long are you guys going to cling to long surpassed buildings like the Empire State Building and The Chrysler Building? And yes people are interested. The Worlds Fair of 1893 made Chicago famous. C'mon Dementor, you should know this. After all, you are the worlds cities expert! .

Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,977 times
Quote:

I bet when you go to the movies you always like the movie that won an Oscar, no matter what. You just HAVE to like it because it won the Oscar, right Look at the picture in post #1274 and tell me if you have seen anything so breathtaking in Chicago or any other city in the US.
It's interesting because of its size, but its not attractive because of its beauty. That's where Chicago wins. I'll break it down for you.

Chicago wins in terms of beauty, use of coast, and architecture.

NYC wins in terms of size.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
It's actually gained population! The OFFICIAL census of 2000 had them at a gain. You'll have to wait for the OFFICIAL one of 2010 to try and prove me otherwise. The Census had Chicago at a loss again in 1990, but it turned around with a gain.
I do not have to wait for anything, the currently available data show that Chicago lost half a million people since 1940. In the same time New York gained 900 thousand. Do you get it? Chicago is a smaller city than it was in 1940. You call it growth? I call it decline. Chicago is slowly dying.

1940 3,396,808 20.6%
1950 3,620,9622 6.6%
1960 3,550,4042 -1.9%
1970 3,366,9572 -5.2%
1980 3,005,0722 -10.7%
1990 2,783,7263 -7.4%
2000 2,896,0163 4.0%
2007 2,836,6583 -2.0%

Quote:
The North side has a lot of Bungalows, but has its fair share of multiple family homes. The rest of the city is basically all multiple family homes
Rest of the city? Try seeling that BS to someone who never been to Chicago. Southside, West Side, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Jefferson Park, Belmont Central have mostly single family houses. There are almost no rowhouses in Chicago. Try again.

Quote:
Almost all politicians are corrupt. The same things happen in NYC that happen in Chicago. Chicago was once the most corrupt city on the planet, but not anymore.

Really? What changed in Chicago? New mayor? Why is Chicago so defensive? You just had the second governor in a row convicted of corruption and criminal conspiracy and all you can say is that all politicians are corrupt. How do you even know that?

Quote:
I said the city tries to increase density because they cant annex anymore. You try to get more people in by building up and selling the homes to new buyers.
Listen, genius, with the constant population even putting it all in twenty Chicago Spire's will not increase density one bit. The only way to increase density is to have a positive population growth i.e attract people to move into the city. Apprently the government, as opposed to what you said, has a very little control of it. Chicago is a prime example where while all the built skyscrapers did not change the fact that the city lost 500,000 of its population since 1940, therefore its density decreased since that time. Again, since the area occupied by Chicago has not changed since 1940, the loss of 500,000 people signifies that both the population and population density in the city has decreased. How did the skyscrapers help???

Quote:
That meant nothing, but coming from you, I'm not surprised. How is the Olympics a cover up? Lol are you inventing Conspiracy Theories now too?
Read Chicago Reader. There was a great article on the Olympics in the last issue. Read on the TIFs, Olympic money funds and developers of Olympic venues etc etc. It is also a cover up as it takes general public's attention away from fiscal problems, terrible roads, high crime and substandard public education system (CPS) system.

Quote:
Is anyone clinging to it? No. How long are you guys going to cling to long surpassed buildings like the Empire State Building and The Chrysler Building? And yes people are interested. The Worlds Fair of 1893 made Chicago famous. C'mon Dementor, you should know this. After all, you are the worlds cities expert!.
You are, as a matter of fact you just did again, you just brought up World's Fair from 1893!!! An event that is long forgotten anywhere else as opposed to the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings that still stand and grace New York with their everlasting beauty.
C'mon, why do you bring up events that took place in Chicago over a hundred years ago? Nothing interesting happend in Chicago ever since ?

Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
It's interesting because of its size, but its not attractive because of its beauty. That's where Chicago wins. I'll break it down for you.

Chicago wins in terms of beauty, use of coast, and architecture.

NYC wins in terms of size.
No. According to this poll NY skyline wins in all categories. Look at the top of this page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.