Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well Im sorry,I did not think I would be taken literally.LOL.But its still substantially more.International or not but this says helps Atlanta's case too:Atlanta ranks 13th in overseas travelers.One notch above Houston but its growing in Atlanta at a faster rate.Dallas ranks at 17th.
Atlanta has alot more tourist value than either Dallas or Houston. I have no doubt thats what makes it more popular with overseas visitors.

ATL also has more international flights than DFW or IAH, but its because of the hub, not O&D traffic.

Your dealing with someone who works as an Airline consultant for a living. I take every thing about airlines, airports, etc. in its most literal sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM

259 posts, read 543,526 times
This makes no sense....atl isnt 5..entertainment wise I would place them above houston and dallas maybe but thats it...culturally atl isnt a leader/trailblazer and it doesnt belong anywhere near the top of any list honestly

Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM

517 posts, read 1,319,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Economy wise yes you are correct.Atlanta is not far in most cases so its not blown out of the water either.Its tied with Dallas behind NYC,and Houston with the most Fortune 500 headquarters.
Culturally-You have a point with San Francisco,but Atlanta was the center of the civil rights movement.When other Southern cities were rioting when the civil rights laws were passed and Ivan Allen(the white mayor at the time) was the only Southern Mayor to testify in favor of Civil Rights legislation.Also had and (has)one of the first black Mayors(male or female).Gay rights?Well Atlanta has had a pretty good record on that too.And not just for a "Southern City".We have had a Lesbian for as City Council Pres. and the city offers Domestic Partner benefits for its residents since the early 1990's.Coca-Cola the most recognized brand in the world.
Logistically-The airport being a major draw makes Atlanta more accesibile to the who U.S.Not just NYC.Charlotte banking,Houston's Oil,and Dallas..Cowboys?,Miami,Chicago?
World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Education-Atlanta ranks 7th in total enrollment and 8th in degrees awarded(just behind Philly and San Diego and Boston.San Fran is no where near.In research expenditures Atlanta ranks 5th.Houston,Chicago,Philly, and San Fran is 14th.(above link in my other post).Biotech and Medical are important(which Atlanta also does well)but what about Aerospace and other fields.

Regional Prominence-New England is not a region,its a sub-region.Like the South WestL.A. is that.Not San Fran.

This is not just in one area,but in ALL areas COLLECTIVELY.
I find it interesting that Atlanta awards more degrees than SF but yet SF is ranked as the 2nd most educated city in the country with 50.1% of its residents holding a bachelors degree. Atlanta ranks 7th with 42%. Also on side note The Bay Area had 3 cities in the Top 20 #2 SF 50.1%, #15 San Jose 36.1%, #18 Oakland 33.8%.

Most-Educated Cities in the United States - MSN Encarta

Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
First of all, being a major research center is more than just universities. The majority of major technological advances during 20th century developed through either military research or NASA especially during the 60's and 70's. And those Astronauts more than likely went to NASA to continue their studies in aerospace. Also, I can almost guarantee you that Emory has not graduated more aerospace engineers who have gone on to work for NASA than Rice. Also I didn't think Emory was ranked as high as Rice but evidently they are tied with Rice for 17. Didn't know that. Well anyway moving on. Every major university has students from all over the world to attending their university. Atlanta is not unique. Univ of Houston and Rice both have a large number of international students. On another note UH boast the most racially diverse student body of any major research University in the country. And as for the Texas Medical Center, UT, Baylor, Rice, and it think UH as well all have their medical school located in the Texas Medical Center. Baylor, UT and Rice (I think) are almost always ranked in the top ten med schools in the country and Baylor is usually in the top 5. Texas Medical Center is also the largest medical research facility in the country and one of the leaders in almost medical research field. And then of course there's energy research, tech research, and so on and so forth, but I think I've said enough.

As far as transportation, I completely forgot to mention two of the largest airline companies in the country, American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, are headquartered in Dallas. As for Houston, the combined ports of the Houston area are only behind LA and New York. That is a pretty big deal in considering who is more of a transportation hub.
Actually I said Georgia Tech.I think you are confusing it with Emory U.Houston does not even have a highly ranked engineering school like Tech.Only some ranked programs at Rice.You know Georgia Tech is consistently ranked within a notch or two of the likes of MIT?
Atlanta is home to the WORLD'S largest airline,Delta,and also is the home of AirTran.As I provided in the link earlier.Houston is ports ranked lower unless i found the wrong link.if so please provide a link.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
This makes no sense....atl isnt 5..entertainment wise I would place them above houston and dallas maybe but thats it...culturally atl isnt a leader/trailblazer and it doesnt belong anywhere near the top of any list honestly

Well, except for the lists where Atlanta RANKS in the top 5...there are several...and those aren't opinion lists.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I find it interesting that Atlanta awards more degrees than SF but yet SF is ranked as the 2nd most educated city in the country with 50.1% of its residents holding a bachelors degree. Atlanta ranks 7th with 42%. Also on side note The Bay Area had 3 cities in the Top 20 #2 SF 50.1%, #15 San Jose 36.1%, #18 Oakland 33.8%.

Most-Educated Cities in the United States - MSN Encarta
That was for the CITY not the MSA.It is slightly different for the MSA.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
So why not?Please state WHY?Houston has better over ART like museums and its Opera is really good.But I think Atlanta has the edge on Symphony and ballet may be a tie.Atlanta's ballet is the oldest in the South and one of the oldest in the country.However popular culture Atlanta wins by far.Atlanta also has more Mobile 5 star facilities than Dallas or Houston.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM

And there is no way any city is more important than DC come on now its the capitol of the worlds most powerful nation and its fifth...screw GDP for a second and consider the fact that all decisions are made there and has been for some time now

Old 10-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
And there is no way any city is more important than DC come on now its the capitol of the worlds most powerful nation and its fifth...screw GDP for a second and consider the fact that all decisions are made there and has been for some time now
huh?who me?lol

Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM

look at it like this in terms of importance houston kills atl because of energy...simple as that energy is important
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City